Request: renew the GUI Skin

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

dissociative
Rookie

Request: renew the GUI Skin

Post by dissociative »

I think that zsnes needs to renew the GUI aspect, modifying it to be similar to the standar Windows GUI aspect or Solarix and also i wish to set the backspace key to be used for fastforward
Murdock
Rookie

Re: Request: renew the GUI Skin

Post by Murdock »

asd wrote:...modifying it to be similar to the standar Windows GUI aspect or Solarix...
If you mean what I think you do (more like snes 9x) I would probally be forced to disable the gui altogether in my compilation. When I first started my compilation ZSNES's gui is what made me choose ZSNES over 9x.

As far as the backspace key to fast forward I am guessing you can assign a key for that in the key config.

EDIT

You can under Misc -> Game keys There is a fast forward setting default is ~
Out of curiosity why isn't there a default key for rewind?
[quote="Clements"]People who [i]dye[/i] their hair blonde are usually the dumb ones, since they often care more about their outward appearance than their personality or intellect.[/quote]
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Murdock wrote:You can under Misc -> Game keys There is a fast forward setting default is ~
Out of curiosity why isn't there a default key for rewind?
I always set rewind to Backspace (since it makes sense) and slowmo to Tab (since it's directly under tilde).
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

The ZSNES GUI is a very nice interface, as well as lending it a professional air that is missing from most emulators.
I, for one, am glad that it will always be a unique interface and not just another generic Windows menubar.
AspiringSquire
Born to Rule... Impatiently

Post by AspiringSquire »

Noxious Ninja wrote:I always set rewind to Backspace (since it makes sense) and slowmo to Tab (since it's directly under tilde).
Hey! I use Backspace for rewind too! :o For slow-motion I use the minus key that's with the numpad; opposite ends of the keyboard makes sense to me, since they perform opposite functions (and "minus" is logical for slowing down everything).

I also agree with Gil_Hamilton's sentiment about the GUI. I prefer the unique look of ZSNES compared with every other program. No way would I replace it when given the choice.
Last edited by AspiringSquire on Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3298][color=brown]My [u]NES palette[/u][/color][/url] - better colors with any emulator.

"the more you know, and the more you can do... the more you are."
- [url=http://www.danielbohman.com][color=brown][u]daniel bohman[/u][/color][/url]
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i also like the gui as-is, but instead of going standard windows (mildly disgusting), maybe it could be semi-skinnable. you know, kde style. (mmmmmm....plastik)

I really have no idea what i'm talking about, i just thought i'd back up the request a little.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

sweener2001 wrote:i also like the gui as-is, but instead of going standard windows (mildly disgusting), maybe it could be semi-skinnable. you know, kde style. (mmmmmm....plastik)

I really have no idea what i'm talking about, i just thought i'd back up the request a little.
That would be a hell of a lot of work.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Murdock wrote:
asd wrote:...modifying it to be similar to the standar Windows GUI aspect or Solarix...
If you mean what I think you do (more like snes 9x) I would probally be forced to disable the gui altogether in my compilation. When I first started my compilation ZSNES's gui is what made me choose ZSNES over 9x.
I'd say. If you are to change the zsnes gui to piss-poor snes9x style (not too likely)...you might as well remove the gui entirely and make the thing command prompt only like the standard Mame is.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Dmog wrote:you might as well remove the gui entirely and make the thing command prompt only like the standard Mame is.
The standard MAME has a GUI.
It can't load ROMs though.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by sweener2001 »

Noxious Ninja wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:i also like the gui as-is, but instead of going standard windows (mildly disgusting), maybe it could be semi-skinnable. you know, kde style. (mmmmmm....plastik)

That would be a hell of a lot of work.
just sayin'. i know nothing about programming. i turned in my "hello world" program today.

so here goes some out-the-butt talking:
maybe in the linux build, it could utilize the linux gui, like kde, gnome, whatever. how have no clue what kind of work that entails. i mention it because it seems(to i who knows zilch) easier in the linux build.

feel free to tell me why i'm wrong. it'd be nice to know.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

asd wrote: standar Windows GUI aspect
Die.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Nach wrote:
Dmog wrote:you might as well remove the gui entirely and make the thing command prompt only like the standard Mame is.
Yeah I know. But to actually start MAME, you need to go through some form of command line prompt. Mame's GUI is pretty basic too (but functional) From a visual/interface pov,mame's "gui" still beats snes9x generic gui though (not too suprising since pretty much anything beats 9x-style gui...)
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

AspiringSquire wrote:
Noxious Ninja wrote:I always set rewind to Backspace (since it makes sense) and slowmo to Tab (since it's directly under tilde).
Hey! I use Backspace for rewind too! :o
Heh, guess what. :P

I think it's just the most logical choice.

Also, to whoever asked why rewind wasn't defined by default, I think it's because it takes some memory and cpu speed when it's enabled, which it doesn't use when disabled (notice when you start using it after not having defined it before, you actually can't rewind until you play a bit). At least, I think that's the reason.

Oh, and:
Megabyte wrote:
asd wrote: standar Windows GUI aspect
Die.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

ZSNES's GUI is great. There isn't any need to change it.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

I don't care what the GUI looks like. I care about how easy it is for the programmers to modify it, and if a standard windows GUI will improve that, then that's what it should be some day.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Dmog wrote:
Nach wrote:
Yeah I know. But to actually start MAME, you need to go through some form of command line prompt. Mame's GUI is pretty basic too (but functional) From a visual/interface pov,mame's "gui" still beats snes9x generic gui though (not too suprising since pretty much anything beats 9x-style gui...)
Yeah except it takes 2 seconds to modify the SNES9x GUI and everyone cries and complains when it comes time to modify the ZSNES GUI because it's such an ass pain.

SNES9x guys can concentrate more on emulation instead of spending a long time on the GUI.

So, the way I see things, the SNES9x GUI isn't all that bad.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Nightcrawler wrote: Yeah except it takes 2 seconds to modify the SNES9x GUI and everyone cries and complains when it comes time to modify the ZSNES GUI because it's such an ass pain.

SNES9x guys can concentrate more on emulation instead of spending a long time on the GUI.

So, the way I see things, the SNES9x GUI isn't all that bad.
Snes9x does not have a GUI. Snes9x has a different GUI for every platform.
Or sort of. Some platforms have no GUI. That's not easy to modify, that's a pain in the neck, have to make a different change for each platform over and over when you want to do something, and Snes9x has a lot of platforms.

And still some users get no GUI.

Snes9x is actually worse off than ZSNES in this area.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Clements »

The ZSNES GUI seems to be modified more frequently nowadays, we have new menus now as well as dozens of checkboxes that were not in v1.36.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Clements wrote:The ZSNES GUI seems to be modified more frequently nowadays, we have new menus now as well as dozens of checkboxes that were not in v1.36.
Yes, behold the power of ipher. A non programmer who modifies the complex ZSNES GUI for breakfast.

Post by Agozer »

Nach wrote:
Clements wrote:The ZSNES GUI seems to be modified more frequently nowadays, we have new menus now as well as dozens of checkboxes that were not in v1.36.
Yes, behold the power of ipher. A non programmer who modifies the complex ZSNES GUI for breakfast.
A big hand to him for doing all that.

The ZSNES GUI is great because it's different from all the other GUIs out there.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Agozer wrote:
Nach wrote:

The ZSNES GUI is great because it's different from all the other GUIs out there.
YES!
Although it is abit like Genesyst (probably spelt wrong), but that is probably due to the fact that it is dos.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Stomping Nerdofish wrote:
Agozer wrote:
Nach wrote:

YES!
Although it is abit like Genesyst (probably spelt wrong), but that is probably due to the fact that it is dos.
Yeah, some of the older emulators like Genecyst and NESticle that ran in DOS had kickass GUIs.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Speaking of difficult to modify...
Wasn't a rewrite started some time ago?
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Speaking of difficult to modify...
Wasn't a rewrite started some time ago?
Planned, yes. I don't know if it's actually been started.
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

Nach wrote:Snes9x does not have a GUI. Snes9x has a different GUI for every platform.
Or sort of. Some platforms have no GUI. That's not easy to modify, that's a pain in the neck, have to make a different change for each platform over and over when you want to do something, and Snes9x has a lot of platforms.

And still some users get no GUI.

Snes9x is actually worse off than ZSNES in this area.
This is a very good point; consistency and unity in the GUI code is useful.

That, of course, is not to imply that you can't write multi-platform compatible GUI code without implementing an entirely custom interface. GTK, for example, is available for many platforms.

A problem which some users might find significant about choosing a standard, portable GUI toolkit over a custom interface is that it increases the number of dependencies. For example, Windows (while perfectly capable of running GTK programs) has none of the GTK libraries available under "normal" circumstances.

I have absolutely no problem with continuing to use the custom interface; it's sleek and simple. However, at some point I feel a higher resolution version of it should be created and made available via an option.