Zsnes, Visual Rom Listing?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

toxee

Zsnes, Visual Rom Listing?

Post by toxee »

I'm fine with the current UI, but I have been wondering if there could be a way to have a visual listing of all my roms. Like instead of a text list, I could have an actual screenshot or boxshot of the game, kinda like Picasa except with all my roms. Is there any options or maybe some frontends for zsnes that might let me do something like this?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Implementing something like would be moderately hard until the GUI code has been ported to C. There are some universal frontends that support preview shots.

I can't name any from the top of my head, but check http://www.zophar.net
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Check out the frontends at Zophar. there are a few for Zsnes. I used one called ZFE something or other, but it kept on crashinf on me. It does what you asked, though.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Yes, A frontend would be your best bet for something like that.

This was discussed before and one thing that was brought up aside fromt eh difficulty if implementation was the increase in size of ZSNES. If ZSNES were to catalog every game and even worse, have a screenshot etc.., the size would increase signifcantly.

At this point, there is no chance of such a feature making it in. If you have a bit of programming skills, you could make a better frontend to do something like this. That would be easier than modifying ZSNES.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
toxee

Post by toxee »

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm gonna check out that frontend you mentioned Kieran.

Nightcrawler, I see what you mean, I was never implying the screen and boxshots come from zsnes's end. If people can get their own roms I don't see how pics would be any different.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

ZFE is a pretty nice frontend. I have used it myself.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Hasn't StatMat also contributed some to ZSNES?
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Noxious Ninja wrote:Hasn't StatMat also contributed some to ZSNES?
There are several instances of 'FIX STATMAT' in the source.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Malcster
Hazed

Post by Malcster »

toxee wrote:Nightcrawler, I see what you mean, I was never implying the screen and boxshots come from zsnes's end. If people can get their own roms I don't see how pics would be any different.
Yeah, could work just like FBA or MAME32 - a "snaps" folder in the save file folder or something, and maybe the shots could be named "<crc32><other misc comments that zsnes ignores>.png" to be detected easily. Possibly there could be packs of screenshots available. This would be neat as a thing to bear in mind for the new GUI.
Peace Forever!
Cebu
Rookie

Post by Cebu »

Another option might be to display the preview image for the most recent savestate for a game. While it wouldn't help to get an idea of things that you've never seen, it would give a visual indicator for things that you've looked at before and wouldn't require having anything distributed with zsnes.