how to use .rar files

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

helpme

how to use .rar files

Post by helpme »

wandering how to play .rar files on zsnes.....plz help
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Decompress them with WinRAR or some other program capable of doing such. ZSNES doesn't support RAR files and probably never will.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Gospel
Hazed

Post by Gospel »

You can't.

Unrar the files with WinRAR, and play them normally.

If want compressed files, you'll need to unrar them, then recompress them in the .zip format.
helpme

Post by helpme »

thank you
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Gospel wrote:You can't.

Unrar the files with WinRAR, and play them normally.

If want compressed files, you'll need to unrar them, then recompress them in the .zip format.
ZSNES also supports gzip, btw. ;)
Gospel
Hazed

Post by Gospel »

Wasn't there also talk of maybe supporting 7zip sometime, in a later version?
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Gospel wrote:Wasn't there also talk of maybe supporting 7zip sometime, in a later version?
I haven't heard, but that might be too slow for emulators-it could take the game longer to load.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

You uncompress the game in a flash at the beginning, so it wouldn't be *too* slow.

Nach was talking about a special brew of 7z that held great results with snes roms.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

grinvader wrote:Nach was talking about a special brew of 7z that held great results with snes roms.
Is it still considered a good option or was it scrapped?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I suppose there's just not enough time to pull that one off. We'll have to wait.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I don't have anyone near enough time to be working on it at the moment. I did find someone however who was interested and is doing a bit of work on it for me. If other people have the skills and want to help, let me know.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Noxious Ninja »

grinvader wrote:Nach was talking about a special brew of 7z that held great results with snes roms.
GoodMerge?
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
anewuser
Rookie

Post by anewuser »

>Goodmerge?

No. A file format based off 7z, which achieved better compressiong than .rar, .zip, and .7z and designed specifically for snes roms.
nitro001

7Zip Compression and Multi-File Compression

Post by nitro001 »

I have been using ZSNES for a few years now and haven't been active in the boards, but now is as good as time as any to start. :)
I have two throughts for this. :idea:

the first, 7Zip has a C++ SDK to develop. I used to be a halfway decent developer in C++ so I might be able to look at the source and integrate. Although I haven't peered into the ZSNES Source Code yet :)

the Second, has anyone throught about multiple roms in a zip file?
Currently if you have multiple roms, ZSNES automatically opens the first one. :?:

For Example, I have a rom in about 10 different releases that were zipped in one file for managability (1.0, 1.1, US, Japan, Europe, etc...). The files were 64MB by themselves. With 7Zip it was only 1.65MB (Best compression I have seen almost 257% deflation). In a Zip file it was 32MB, which is 50% better. would be nice to be able to double click on a zip file, like we do now, if there is only 1 rom, it launches it, if there is > 1 rom, it lists them like it does with any other file (doesn't even need to read headers, just filenames would work), then double click on the file inside the zip to execute.

Off the top of my head I don't know how this could be implemented, but I don't think it would be that hard. I know with PKZIP, etc... you can pull a file listing without extracting.

Any ideas?
Thank you.

Nathan
Miyomei
"I ate JB."

Post by Miyomei »

@nitro: That sounds like a great feature. Maybe you should make a seperate thread about it in the Feature Request forum.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

I've suggested archive browsing multiple times, but Nach didn't care for it.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Damn that sucks.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: 7Zip Compression and Multi-File Compression

Post by Nach »

nitro001 wrote: the first, 7Zip has a C++ SDK to develop.
Do a bit of research, it's a LZMA SDK, not a 7-Zip SDK. Meaning it won't open 7z files.
Aside from that, I have a semi SDK which creates smaller files than 7z.

Ichinisan wrote:I've suggested archive browsing multiple times, but Nach didn't care for it.
It's not as much as I don't care as much as it would be a pain to implement.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Miyomei wrote:@nitro: That sounds like a great feature. Maybe you should make a seperate thread about it in the Feature Request forum.
That's exactly what GoodMerge does - group ROMs into sets for compressibility reasons, then compress them into 7z solid archives.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
zlatan24

Post by zlatan24 »

- spam deleted -
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

hey asshole, look at the date on any of those posts, those guys were talking about opening rar files five years ago. they can't hear you now. please go kill yourself.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

We don't really appreciate bumping ancient threads, especially when you aren't magically creating the code for zsnes to decompress rar files.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Hint: It's spam.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I wish they'd spam us with magically created code to do badass stuff.
皆黙って俺について来い!!