FF6/3 world map problem

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

user222
Rookie

FF6/3 world map problem

Post by user222 »

On the Final Fantasy 6/3 world map, the size of the airship sprite changes constantly as you walk. Is this normal? Also, do the screen effects before entering a battle look like what they're supposed to look like on a real SNES?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Read the sticky about posting bugs.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Re: FF6/3 world map problem

Post by creaothceann »

user222 wrote:On the Final Fantasy 6 world map, the size of the airship sprite changes constantly as you walk. Is this normal?
It might be used by the game to indicate that the character is almost fainting, but I'm not 100% sure about it.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

I think that it is there so it can give the illusion of an increase in size as you get closer to it.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

The airship's size only changes in increments (it doesn't use sprite scaling, they just made a few different size sprites and display them in order) so it doesn't change size constantly, it's just that it moves incoherently to the mode 7 background which does move smoothly.

The screen effects are the way they should be. I wouldn't worry about anything that is not obviously a bug, unless you can check it on a real cart.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

On the Final Fantasy 6/3 world map, the size of the airship sprite changes constantly as you walk. Is this normal?
Yes, this is normal.
Also, do the screen effects before entering a battle look like what they're supposed to look like on a real SNES?
Yes, ZSNES produces the same effect as the real SNES.

For your info, please don't mention these issues as "bugs" UNLESS you have played the original game on the SNES console. The other post you had sounds exactly like this (you've never played the original Chrono Trigger on the SNES before apparently).

Edit: I apologize in advance if I'm mistaken.. but if you are comparing the SNES (ZSNES) version's graphics to the PS version's graphics... please don't. The PS version seems to "emulate" the game (well, it also adds some stuff) and some of the effects in the PS version have changed from the original SNES version, due to whatever reasons...