Post v1.42 ZSNES WIPs

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

cdbsi
Rookie

Post by cdbsi »

AspiringSquire wrote:
cdbsi wrote:I should make a larger version of this icon, shouldn't I? :)
Since you brought that up...
I just compared the old ZSNES icon to the new one, and at the smallest resolution, the old icon was much more readable where it says ZSNES; the one used now is almost completely illegible. Do you think you might be willing to improve that part of the current icon (just the tiny version)? :)
The 16 x 16 version? I should make that comparison myself. If it is how you say it is, then i'll be happy to update it.
Kieran wrote:Welcome back, cdbsi.
Yeah, I apologize for my absence. I have just been busy with a LOT of things, i.e. full-time college, my three jobs, girlfriend, friends, church, recent video games, personal projects, etc.

The icon IS vector based, it is just that the sfc symbol has some minor adjustments using raster layers. When I resize the icon it doesn't look EXACTLY as it does when it is smaller. I think it would be great to have a zsnes t-shirt with an enlarged and modified icon. :(
DROWNING wrote:
Noxious Ninja wrote:
cdbsi wrote:OT?

I used Paint Shop Pro, and a lot of perfecting.

I should make a larger version of this icon, shouldn't I? :)
OT == Off-topic.

I was hoping it was vector based. Oh well. :P
I just thought the very same thing as I read this.

An SVG file would be cool.
I should look into that. It would be great to have it in SVG.
AspiringSquire
Born to Rule... Impatiently

Post by AspiringSquire »

Hey, Developers, just so you know, the DOS version shows the Rewind options in the Save window, but Rewind still isn't implemented in the DOS port at all. Even though the bug is that the options are present in the DOS port, the bug should be that Rewind can't be used. :P I didn't catch this sooner because I've been mainly using the Win port recently.

cdbsi wrote:The 16 x 16 version? I should make that comparison myself. If it is how you say it is, then i'll be happy to update it.
Yep, that's the one. I think it might be the shadowing of the letters that makes them look blurred at that resolution, so maybe you could just remove the shadows (in 16x16 only) and see how that looks.

Thanks for caring. :)
[url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3298][color=brown]My [u]NES palette[/u][/color][/url] - better colors with any emulator.

"the more you know, and the more you can do... the more you are."
- [url=http://www.danielbohman.com][color=brown][u]daniel bohman[/u][/color][/url]
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

AspiringSquire wrote:Hey, Developers, just so you know, the DOS version shows the Rewind options in the Save window, but Rewind still isn't implemented in the DOS port at all. Even though the bug is that the options are present in the DOS port, the bug should be that Rewind can't be used. :P I didn't catch this sooner because I've been mainly using the Win port recently.
I'm aware. I also hope by the time v1.43 is out to allow rewinding in DOS.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

A new WIP should be out later today with a ton of new developments, just giving you guys a heads up.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by ieremiou »

That's awesome. I've been building ZSNES and been enjoying the fixes to the window latching system. No more blipping issues on FF6 map and SMRPG is looking great too. :)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Thanks for the Warning, Nach. Time to download when it comes out :)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I just want to give a few warning about the upcoming WIP.

Netplay is totally broken right now, so don't even bother. Remember you have to demolish before you can rebuild.

There are several new graphics issues. But that comes along with fixing some graphic issues that we've had for a very long time.

Here's what you can expect new:
No graphic problems by DKC3 when you have your snowball fight.
Less bugs in FF3/6.
SMRPG doing better.
New movie support (in progress) which featurewise blows away every other kind of emulator movie support which you've ever seen before.
Fixed some ZST issues.
And much much more.
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Yes this WIP is exactly that. A work in progress. This is not release grade by a long shot. I am not interested in gfx related bugs in this build so please don't bother posting them.

Some things Nach forgot about, TG3000 should now be bug free, graphical wise, KI levels now have character shadows where they were missing before. I am aware of TJ Combo's levels still having a black background. I am still working on this issue.

You will also notice in some games sprites disappearing, most notably transparencies. This is completely normal at this point as the new rendering code is not mature yet. Please bare with us until this is fixed. Thanks.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Great news! :o
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
tehnick
Hazed

Post by tehnick »

Any idea when the 'rebuilding' of netplay start if you don't mind me asking..? To me this is the most important issue concerning ZSNES.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Great news to hear. :)
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

tehnick wrote:Any idea when the 'rebuilding' of netplay start if you don't mind me asking..? To me this is the most important issue concerning ZSNES.
It already has started, but I don't think we'll be finished for a while, we're not just rebuilding, we're adding features and cleaning ZSNES as a whole :)

I'd also like to express my appreciation to the rest of the team.
Thanks grinvader and ipher for helping me out a lot with figuring out what ZSNES was doing at times, porting annoying code, and for updating the GUI while I ripped my hair out over the new movie stuff.
And thanks pagefault for fixing these annoying graphical bugs that have annoyed me since I first started using ZSNES all those years ago.
ZSNES Developer

Re: Post v1.42 ZSNES WIPs

Post by ipher »

ZSNES 4/4 WIP is now available at ipher's WIP Site

Note: Netplay does not work in this build. Also, there are known GFX issues for this build, so do not report them.
Whats New:
4/04/05
ALL: Major framerate improvement when using new graphics engine [pagefault]
ALL: Sets % to execute like the ASM used to. [grinvader]
ALL: Pass some more tests on the test cart [pagefault]
ALL: Adjusted openbus behaviour of registers, this is a WIP so bleh [pagefault]
ALL: Added detection code for MMX2 [pagefault]
ALL: Fixed a logic bug in windowing/transparency code (Bug #24) [pagefault]
ALL: Check extended CPUID for MMX extensions on Athlon (pre XP) processors [pagefault]
ALL: Added pause and frame increment buttons [Nach, ipher]
ALL: Key combo issues for P5 fixed [grinvader, ipher]
ALL: Fixed Mode 4 rendering (TG3K and DKC3 are among those that were affected). [pagefault]
ALL: Updated BG scroll latch behaviour. [pagefault]
ALL: Fixed windowing bugs. [pagefault]
ALL: Fixed sprite and subscreen logic. [pagefault]
ALL: Loop count fix. [grinvader]
ALL: Updated commandline parameters; added movie options, merged between ports. [Nach]
SDL: Fixed logic in home path. [Nach]
SDL: Fixed NTSC timer. [pagefault]
SA1: Improved the core. [pagefault]
DSP4: More optimizations, fixed attractor (thanks Mr. Anonymous) [Nach]
GUI: Text within boxes in the Netplay window now have shadows. Cursor shadow still to come! [ipher]
GUI: Some menues cleaned up/reorganized. [ipher]
JMA: Fixed some bugs in decompression. Improved performance. Lower memory requirements. Support for JMA v1 files. [Nach]
ZMV: Improved format with compression and info stored. Can now rerecord via save states or rewind. Can add and seek chapters. Can show frame count. Multiple start methods. Can record reset in a movie. Brought back our old desynability from v0.9xx. [Nach, grinvader, ipher]
ZMV: Subtitles handled better. [Nach]
ZST: Old save states working again. [Nach]
SRC: No return statement in the middle of a function! [pagefault]
SRC: Started porting memmap code to C [grinvader]
SRC: Layed out ground work to make memmap code easier to read and work with. [Nach]
SRC: Call NASM.EXE instead of NASMW.EXE, for all MS builds. [Nach]
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Awesome release. Great job devs!
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
phibxr
Rookie

Post by phibxr »

I agree. This looks like a great release. Thanks. :)
DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

Post by DEFIANT »

you guys have outdone yourselves again. keep up the good work.
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2365/pirateuserbartv2.jpg[/img]
E=mc²
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people." -V
[url=http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]The Ur-Quan Masters[/url]
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

Don't want to be picky about such a minor issue, but ipher, did you know that the changes.txt in this WIP is not entirely up to date?
~Bent
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

Bent wrote:Don't want to be picky about such a minor issue, but ipher, did you know that the changes.txt in this WIP is not entirely up to date?
Yup, the changes.txt is from March 16 actually. I simply forgot to change it before i did the release, the next WIP will have this WIPs changes correct.
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

What a thing to wake up to! Ahaha! Thank you ZSNES devs!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Nice updates. Good job.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Fantastic.
Proto K

Post by Proto K »

Glad to see this WIP finally fixes the Mickey Mania graphics too:

Old (pre April 4 2005 WIP):

New (April 4 2005 WIP):

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Less bugs in FF3/6.
I'm not sure what it fixed.. can you elaborate?

I'm pretty sure the overworld graphics is not part of this fix (it easily gets exposed in the RPGOne translation [pre 1.2b, I believe])
AspiringSquire
Born to Rule... Impatiently

Post by AspiringSquire »

This is the most changes I've seen in a single WIP for ZSNES...
My favorite is the overall speed increase with the New Gfx Engine. :)

----
There is a new bug for the DOS port: I am unable to switch video resolutions in the GUI because ZSNES won't accept the spacebar input. :? I can still set a different video mode in the .cfg file, though.
[url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3298][color=brown]My [u]NES palette[/u][/color][/url] - better colors with any emulator.

"the more you know, and the more you can do... the more you are."
- [url=http://www.danielbohman.com][color=brown][u]daniel bohman[/u][/color][/url]
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Wow, nice. Love all the little fixes for some of those graphic bugs that have been there forever, like the intro of Mouryou Senki Madara 2.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]