Time to retire the MS-DOS port...

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

jj_frap
Rookie

Time to retire the MS-DOS port...

Post by jj_frap »

Now maybe some of you still like to impersonate Fred Flintstone, but I don't see the point in spending time that could be devoted to other things (either in your personal lives or with regards to ZSNES) to maintain a piece of software for an OS that's been dead since prior to the new millennium.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Well, it has a debugger, and there are some other advantages apparently.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

I remember pagefault saying that little or no more DOS-port-specific updates will be made. The SDL and Win ports are more prioritized now.

Dos port binaries, however, will still be released.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

If I remember right, there are some people that still use the DOS port due to having an older computer with an OS older than Win XP. I say, let the dev's do what they wish, as it is their project and all.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

SquareHead wrote:If I remember right, there are some people that still use the DOS port due to having an older computer with an OS older than Win XP.
That was what I was about to say. :lol:
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

One of the developers *cough* Nach *cough* doesn't use the win port, he uses the dos port.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

snkcube wrote:
SquareHead wrote:If I remember right, there are some people that still use the DOS port due to having an older computer with an OS older than Win XP.
That was what I was about to say. :lol:
I must agree with this.

No. I'm against the retirement of the DOS port. End of discussion.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

SquareHead wrote:I say, let the dev's do what they wish, as it is their project and all.
You win the internet.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Serious Callers Only

Post by Serious Callers Only »

There might be some people that use an lightweight emulator (like dosbox) to play in zsnes on the mac or BSD for example. Its the one platform that is most widely emulated.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

If you look at the changelog for the newer WIPs, specific changes to the DOS version are quite low. I believe the developers are concentrating on the Linux and Windows ports right now. I think when the debugger is ported to the other ports it will eliminate most of the need for the DOS port (but not entirely since people still have old PCs dedicated to ZSNES)
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Clements wrote:If you look at the changelog for the newer WIPs, specific changes to the DOS version are quite low. I believe the developers are concentrating on the Linux and Windows ports right now. I think when the debugger is ported to the other ports it will eliminate most of the need for the DOS port (but not entirely since people still have old PCs dedicated to ZSNES)
True, but I still don't like to see the DOS port get buried for the reason you mentioned - old PCs dedicated to ZSNES.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Who is this jackass?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

kieran wrote:Who is this jackass?
Someone who doesn't like DOS. :wink:
Sol
Rookie

Post by Sol »

Serious Callers Only wrote:There might be some people that use an lightweight emulator (like dosbox) to play in zsnes on the mac or BSD for example. Its the one platform that is most widely emulated.
BSD? Pshhht. Just compile the Linux version on it.
Sol
Rookie

Re: Time to retire the MS-DOS port...

Post by Sol »

jj_frap wrote:Now maybe some of you still like to impersonate Fred Flintstone, but I don't see the point in spending time that could be devoted to other things (either in your personal lives or with regards to ZSNES) to maintain a piece of software for an OS that's been dead since prior to the new millennium.
Since most people here seem to be incapable of anything beyond 1-dimensional thought: having a DOS port goes far beyond people simply using "an OS that's been dead since prior to the new millennium." It's easily possible to re-use old motherboards, laptops and those tiny PCs as universal gaming machines that have NES, Gameboy, SNES, Genesis, and various other emulators with collections of hundreds of games - they can easily be set up, managed and automated with DOS. Sticking windows/x11 on such a machine would be much more of a pain in the ass.
bztunk
Hazed

Post by bztunk »

Sol wrote:BSD? Pshhht. Just compile the SDL version on it.
fixt
Mexandrew
Taco Kid DX

Post by Mexandrew »

I still use the DOS port. If for some reason the DOS binaries aren't released anymore, the last one will be my treasure.

So, my point is, I like DOS. Period.
B R O K E N .
AspiringSquire
Born to Rule... Impatiently

Post by AspiringSquire »

Mexandrew wrote:I still use the DOS port. If for some reason the DOS binaries aren't released anymore, the last one will be my treasure.

So, my point is, I like DOS. Period.
I feel pretty much the same way. The DOS port was the original, the only ZSNES, and I've been using it since before the Windows version of ZSNES was reliable*, and maybe even before the Win port existed. :o
*(i.e. before it started using DirectX8—though ZSNESW still wasn't on par with the DOS port until v1.337)

I'll always cherish the DOS releases of ZSNES. :)
[url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3298][color=brown]My [u]NES palette[/u][/color][/url] - better colors with any emulator.

"the more you know, and the more you can do... the more you are."
- [url=http://www.danielbohman.com][color=brown][u]daniel bohman[/u][/color][/url]
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

If you don't know what you're talking about don't talk.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.