Dragon Quest 6 bugs + grafic corruption on Alt-Tab

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Knurek

Dragon Quest 6 bugs + grafic corruption on Alt-Tab

Post by Knurek »

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
File: Dragon Quest VI (J).smc
Name: DRAGONQUEST6 Company: Enix
Header: FIG Bank: HiROM
Interleaved: No SRAM: 64 Kb
Type: Normal + Batt ROM: 32 Mb
ROM Speed: 120ns (FastROM) Version: 1.0
Checksum: Good 0x5E8F CRC32: 33304519
--------------------------Database--------------------------
Name: Dragon Quest VI
Port 1: Gamepad Port 2: Gamepad

Rom patched with latest NoPrgress patch. Using WIP0519.

Bug #1

Sprites on the edge of the screen are shown on the other side of the screen.

Disabling New GFX Engine fixes that.

Bug #2

Incorrect sprite priorities vs the menu layer on the map (with party of more than 1 person - was fine with only Hero).

Disabling New GFX Engine fixes that... somehow. With the Old Engine, the Map layer becomes transparent. Dunno if it's supposed to be that way.

Savestates available on request

Also, anyone experiencing this?

Happens everytime I do Alt-Tab. I think it shows a random video memory page (because once there were graphics from the game I played earlier instead of the usual garbage). As you can see, moving the mouse cursor redraws the screen (also going to/from menu fixes it).

My GFX card is Radeon9550 (Catalyst 5.4+ATI Tray Tools 1.0.2.663). I don't remember having this with my old GeForce2MX.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

The fullscreen video corruption is know (happens when you Alt-Tab, Enable/Disable Triple Buffering at least.)
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Those bugs look like the recent Earthbound bugs in the new graphics engine when sprites came in front of things they shouldn't have. Perhaps these are related?
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

I think Nach made a mention.

Edit:
Nach wrote:Confirmed.

Guess pagefault needs to reexamine his recent windowing fixes so we can have it working in all the other games and EarthBound.
nachch
Rookie

Bug observed in Front Misson: Gun Hazard too

Post by nachch »

I experienced a very similar bug playing "Front Misson: Gun Hazard" (first thought it might be the translation patch acting up, but then tried unpatched with the same results. I think I used version 1.42 when playing).

In essence, there were graphical glitches like the ones in that post above:
* Sprites popping outside the "frame" of the game screen and onto the borders. This happens on every stage, for both your mech and enemies.
* Sprites warping to the other side of the screen, when they are halfway out one side
* Fucked-up priorities in menus (sprites show on top of the menu window). This is easily seen in the hero/mech status sheet

I haven't tried disabling the new gfx engine though, so I don't know if that would have fixed it.
Esturk
Lurker

Re: Bug observed in Front Misson: Gun Hazard too

Post by Esturk »

nachch wrote:I experienced a very similar bug playing "Front Misson: Gun Hazard" (first thought it might be the translation patch acting up, but then tried unpatched with the same results. I think I used version 1.42 when playing).

In essence, there were graphical glitches like the ones in that post above:
* Sprites popping outside the "frame" of the game screen and onto the borders. This happens on every stage, for both your mech and enemies.
* Sprites warping to the other side of the screen, when they are halfway out one side
* Fucked-up priorities in menus (sprites show on top of the menu window). This is easily seen in the hero/mech status sheet

I haven't tried disabling the new gfx engine though, so I don't know if that would have fixed it.
I noticed the same things while playing Final Fantasy V. In towns, people would appear to be half on one side of the screen, and half on the other side of the screen. When they were actually supposed to be off the screen entirely. Kind of hard to explain, maybe I'll post a screenshot sometime.