Chrono Trigger retrans?

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

It's more of an otaku-elitist mindset - the kind of people who are so used to seeing subtitled anime that any actual *localization* sets them off. Of course, any professional translation wouldn't be caught dead doing that kind of thing. The only exception I've seen so far (although to be fair I'm hardly an animephile) is Haibane Renmei, but changing all the names there would have been an extremely difficult process because of how they're used in the show.

Only a few video games leave in a few Japanese names (such as Renzokuken in FF8, Fei's skills in Xenogears, or some of the items in Star Ocean 2) simply because translating them into English would mean a phrase five or six times longer than the Japanese name.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Cidolfas wrote:Only a few video games leave in a few Japanese names (such as Renzokuken in FF8, Fei's skills in Xenogears, or some of the items in Star Ocean 2) simply because translating them into English would mean a phrase five or six times longer than the Japanese name.
Well, Square did localize FF7's 超究武神覇斬 (chokyuubushinhazan - 'Super Ultimate War God Champion Slash') in a mere "omnislash".
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

Sometimes it's possible. Sometimes you'd lose too much in the translation.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Cidolfas wrote:Only a few video games leave in a few Japanese names (such as Renzokuken...
Haha, 'kuken' means 'the cock/dick' in swedish...

...lol
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Johan_Hanberg wrote:
Cidolfas wrote:Only a few video games leave in a few Japanese names (such as Renzokuken...
Haha, 'kuken' means 'the cock/dick' in swedish...

...lol
oh lol

what

ok
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
d4s
Rookie

Post by d4s »

Agozer wrote:ok
(going slightly off-topic)

so youre a fan of maktone, too?
high five, agozer!!!!! ;)
are you involved in the the so-called demoscene, by any chance?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

d4s wrote:
Agozer wrote:ok
(going slightly off-topic)

so youre a fan of maktone, too?
high five, agozer!!!!! ;)
are you involved in the the so-called demoscene, by any chance?
Indeed I'm a fan of maktone, but I'm only a spectator in the demoscene (if that can be called "involvement"). I've done nothing noteworthy.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Jikmo
Hazed

Post by Jikmo »

grinvader wrote:
Cidolfas wrote:Only a few video games leave in a few Japanese names (such as Renzokuken in FF8, Fei's skills in Xenogears, or some of the items in Star Ocean 2) simply because translating them into English would mean a phrase five or six times longer than the Japanese name.
Well, Square did localize FF7's 超究武神覇斬 (chokyuubushinhazan - 'Super Ultimate War God Champion Slash') in a mere "omnislash".
Man... I wish that it was called Super Ultimate War God Champion Slash... would've been so much cooler and more badass... in that completely retarded kind of way
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

The only reason I'd really like to restranslate some games is just because some ugly tall fonts used for official translations. Y' know, just put a smaller, nicer font, and while on it, just reword some phrases, so an slightly better structred sentence may be there.

That's not to say many of them have poor translation, but rather, poor font choice (probably as a filler due to lack of enough memory to insert more text).
_-|-_
Grahf
"opinionated asshole"

Post by Grahf »

THERE ALREADY IS A CHRONO TRIGGER RETRANSLATION!!

http://donut.parodius.com/?func=trans&p ... amekey=268

As they say there, and I agree with them, this game did NOT need a re-translation. The differences were superficial and cosmetic.

At the end of the day it was nothing more than a GIANT waste of time when countless other fantastic Super Famicom games are waiting to be translated.

and btw
SkyRender wrote:Yes, CT has been translated to English before. But poorly. Much of the dialogue was cut down, changed, or outright removed (around half of it) due to space limitations, and a fair amount was censored due to Nintendo's strict rules at the time. And there's also Ted Woolsey's penchant for renaming everything, even when it's entirely unnecessary (why on earth did he rename Sweet Cat to Catalack? I'd take a cute name over a lame pun any day...)
He bitches about "Catalack"?? That gives you an idea of how superficial and unnecessary his translation is.
Last edited by Grahf on Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

I think Tomato talked about this at some point. Yes, Woolsey did mention that magic 50% number, but it was more like changing a sentence like this (extremely contrived example):
"I saw the woman that we spoke to down in the valley."
to this:
"That woman was in the valley."

In other words, the actual content was the same, it was just much less wordy.
Grahf
"opinionated asshole"

Post by Grahf »

well then, if Woolsey mentioned it, I retract my accusation.... Regardless, saying that "50% of the dialogue is removed" gives the wrong impression.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Everytime I see the 50% thing posted, I ask the same question.. WHERE DID HE SAY THIS?

Everybody loves to quote the 50% thing, but I have never seen an actual article in the many years I've been annoyed by Chrono Trigger retranslation talk.

I am not doubting it's existence per se, but no one ever backs up that claim with any source. I would like to see the context for myself.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

Here's the link:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/wiki/in ... _Interview
Just do a search for "50%".
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I love this quote:
Ted Woolsey wrote: I know some people got furious that the names were changed, but to be honest, the games were meant for a broader audience than the one which buys and plays Japanese imports. In fact, I don't understand why someone who reads enough Japanese would buy the US port! It's like buying a translation of a novel when you can read the original.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Evan wrote:I love this quote:
Ted Woolsey wrote: I know some people got furious that the names were changed, but to be honest, the games were meant for a broader audience than the one which buys and plays Japanese imports. In fact, I don't understand why someone who reads enough Japanese would buy the US port! It's like buying a translation of a novel when you can read the original.
Apparently, the explanation lies in your forum signature.

Yep, they pretty much are.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

FF6 on the other hand was retranslated because the jap version have naked graphics,Cyan (Chayenne) techniques can be renamed and Cider os Sake (Sky Render named it Wine instead of Sake anyway). The rest is cosmetic stuff like Cafe called Pub etc.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Cidolfas wrote:Here's the link:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/wiki/in ... _Interview
Just do a search for "50%".
Thank you. Finally somebody didn't just say something because they heard it from somebody else.

This really doesn't give any indication as to what was cut. Most likely, the situation was exactly as you discribed it, Cidolfas. Sentences were reduced down to the point and made to be less wordy.

It is possible to reduce script size of 50% and not cut a single sentence!

As far as the names go, Evan's quote of Woolsey pretty much sums it up.

I still see no need or reason for a Chrono Trigger retranslation.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Nightcrawler wrote:I still see no need or reason for a Chrono Trigger retranslation.
Well, if someone WANTS to do it, that's reason enough, I guess. What people do with their free time is their business.

Though I do agree, I don't see a point in it... Ah well. At least they're getting hacking practice and experience out of it, which can be applied to future projects.

Maybe they'll apply it to inserting the English script of Tactics Ogre into the SNES ROM... :roll:
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I thought you guys might be interested in this...

THIS is the person whom believes we need to retranslate Chrono Trigger...

http://skyrender.saulesco.com/about.html

That pretty much speaks for itself. And supposedly he has some type of autistic like social disorder called 'Asperger's Syndrome'.

http://users.wpi.edu/~trek/aspergers.html

So there you have it.. I think that explains alot.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

God damn, the man's hairy. Impairment in social interaction... doesn't that apply to most hardcore nerds?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Nightcrawler wrote:I thought you guys might be interested in this...

After seeing that, and knowing why he want's to translate CT... This came to my mind.

Anime Nerd
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Sweet digs, if he was an asperger that'd be badass...
Think rain man. They can't interact if their lives were at stake but they handle numbers and math like no one - human computers ahoy.

However, I doubt he's affected at all. Real aspergers have piss-poor social skills if any, and maintaining a website - dang, writing a whole page about themselves - isn't anything they could want to do.
You'd have to force them to do it.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Yeah, autism is a far more likely thing.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Joe Camacho wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:I thought you guys might be interested in this...

After seeing that, and knowing why he want's to translate CT... This came to my mind.

Anime Nerd
That's not an asperger. That's an ass burger.