In development

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Which API should be used for the new ZSNES GUI?

GTK
42%
Qt
58%

Total votes: 31

Richard C.
Lurker

Post by Richard C. »

get nach's dummy zsnes gui and find out. i like qt in windows a lot, while gtk.....

besides, im almost positive pagefault has decided to not use gtk because of a huge memory leak problem with it when using skins in Windows. qt looks like the winner.
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

kevman wrote:What's Qt's perfomance like under Windows?

I use Xchat under Windows (which uses GTK), and I don't mind telling you its performance is SHIT. A 500 Mhz computer can barely run it.
Try KVIrc. It's a Qt application and the devs regularly release windows binaries. Several minutes was all it took for me to be convinced.

It would be interesting to see how the program runs on ~500 MHz -- I don't have any kind of box setup for testing that now.

Concerning Xchat (which I've tried myself), I think it's responsiveness is primarily a result of GTK rather than the program core.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Kagerato wrote: Concerning Xchat (which I've tried myself), I think it's responsiveness is primarily a result of GTK rather than the program core.
Yeah, that's my point. I use Xchat under Linux, and it runs very fast.

Actually, I use Xchat in Windows, too. The 500Mhz machine is just a temp machine I use at home when my good one (3020Mhz, baby) is at school. Since school is out for the year, I can't test KvIRC either.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

I have no knowledge about any of this, but the best GUI's I've used so far are that from Gens/Kega and 1964. I have no idea if those are totally different APIs, if so forget what I said. In any case, I don't really mind which API is going to be used in the end, as long as it does not eat a huge amount of memory when skinned.

Both Nach's and pagefault's GUI look OK to me.
robust

Post by robust »

I prefer GTK+ over QT any day of the week :?
gord
Rookie

Post by gord »

hey, first time writer, long time user (ftwltu! woo)

i just thought id add my two cents, iv been using zsnes for a loooong while (not as long as pre-gui, but still a long while) and i have to say i adore the gui as it is, even with its contraints. its the main reason that i chose to use zsnes over snes9x (apart from the fact that i was on a good old 200mhz in the early days ;)).

im running linux so i havn't had the chance to run the binarys of the new guis yet so i can't really properly comment and some of the things i bring up might be erroneous. but hey.

the main reason i love the zsnes gui as it is now is that it takes me away from the daily grind of life, i can type in 'zsnes' and im presented with a whole other world, the world of zsnes if you will. whenever emulators have used 'stock gui's, ie guis that resemble your current working enviroment, its not not so much a place to get lost in good old games as it is another facet of your plain old boring computer.

maybe its just me, but i like using the zsnes gui as it is now. i meen sure me and the file manager in zsnes have had are quibbles so to speek, namely the fact that i often have no idea what the diffirence between two files is.

maybe im just being sentimental about zsnes, i know a lot of people welcome an update to the gui and i can't exsacly expect a MEKA gui to be pulled out of the bag so to speek. i just hope that you take the classic appeal of the zsnes gui into consideration and not just turn it into 'just another emulator'
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

gord wrote:hey, first time writer, long time user (ftwltu! woo)
Not to mention a fan of e-mails written to Mexican boxers.

If we make a new GUI with a standard API of some sort, we will of course skin it so you can have the option of it looking different or classic.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.