Question about ROM loading.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

patman?

Question about ROM loading.

Post by patman? »

Okay, I have one question about ZSNES.

You see, I have quite a lot of ROMs, many of which have the same name. This is, mostly, because of the fact that for some games, I have the PAL version, hacked version, etc.

Now, some games have long titles, especially ones with the word 'Super' in front of it. This makes it pretty annoying to try and figure out which is which. If there's 6 Super Mario Worlds, and I cannot see the (U) or [!], etc., it becomes a guessing game to find the right one.

So, is there a way to view the entire title of a file you're loading, or at least be able to make the font smaller, so I can actually see what I'm loading?

Thanks a lot.
Richard C.
Lurker

Post by Richard C. »

currently, no.

a new gui, however, is in the works, which will fix this.
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]
patman?

Post by patman? »

Oh, great. That's good news. Seriously, that's great.

Why am I so happy about this, you ask? Because I just spent the last hour playing Action 52 and Cheetahmen II. Oh my god, if you something more painful than a twenty-ton weight being dropped on your crotch, by all means, play either (or both) of those games.

The story behind the company is very interesting, as well.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Re: Question about ROM loading.

Post by creaothceann »

The full name of the currently selected file is displayed somewhere in the dialog, I think.
patman? wrote:Now, some games have long titles, especially ones with the word 'Super' in front of it. This makes it pretty annoying to try and figure out which is which. If there's 6 Super Mario Worlds, and I cannot see the (U) or [!], etc., it becomes a guessing game to find the right one.
You could shorten some of the games, eg. "Super Mario World" to "SMW1"
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

First, stop using goodnames.

Second, the line just under the file selection box is ~37 characters long, which should be enough for any logical, unique, accurate filename.

Third, stop using goodnames.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

grinvader wrote:First, stop using goodnames.

Second, the line just under the file selection box is ~37 characters long, which should be enough for any logical, unique, accurate filename.

except that goodnames are the de facto standard in the console emulation world. It's pretty much the only cross-platform naming convention there is at the moment. Luckily, the new gui will fix the length problem as previously stated.
To truly own, you must own at all games.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I've never liked Goodnames, I always take the extra crap out of the filenames. Then again, I never download every possible revision or a region of a game.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

Agozer wrote:I've never liked Goodnames, I always take the extra crap out of the filenames. Then again, I never download every possible revision or a region of a game.
I find that goodnames are nice for netplay and games with different revisions. Netplay is good because you know that Donkey Kong Country (U) (1.1) [!].smc is going to be identical on both sides of the connection.

Another example is Zelda: Ocarina of time, as revision 1.0 has better fire temple music.

Then again, I use a frontend so I can see the entire name of the game. Honestly I would probably use NSRT except it doesn't do patched versions too. :(
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

I use the names in the SNES No-Intro dat. The names seem to be most accurate and complete with it, from what I've used.

The only problem with NSRT names is that some games do not have their full name (e.g. "Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars" is just "Super Mario RPG" in NSRT).
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I use GoodSNES names since I do not use hacked games and have one game per region, usually the U version.

Also, the v1.0 Fire Temple music has some kind of Islamic-type chanting that sounds incredibly stupid and out of place. :lol:
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I can't seem to find a USF set that has both versions of the fire temple song. I'd like to hear the difference.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Sith
Lurker

Post by Sith »

Agozer wrote:I've never liked Goodnames, I always take the extra crap out of the filenames. Then again, I never download every possible revision or a region of a game.
Seconded.
[url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com/]Zsnes WIP[/url]
[url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/?page=bsnes]Bsnes[/url] by Byuu
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion[/url] by SteveSnake
[url=http://www.viceteam.org/]Vice[/url] by Viceteam
Richard C.
Lurker

Post by Richard C. »

rlbond wrote:

except that goodnames are the de facto standard in the console emulation world. It's pretty much the only cross-platform naming convention there is at the moment. Luckily, the new gui will fix the length problem as previously stated.
What ever happened to most people on this board using NSRT? It has a million more features than GoodSNES, a more accurate database, as well as its own compression format, JMA. See my sig for more information.
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Richard C. wrote:
rlbond wrote:

What ever happened to most people on this board using NSRT? It has a million more features than GoodSNES, a more accurate database, as well as its own compression format, JMA. See my sig for more information.
Agreed.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

I'm sure that several people here use NSRT--just not for renaming. I use NSRT for auditing, deinterleaving, removing headers, and eventually for compressing to JMA (Unfortunately, current NSRT release requires you to rename ROMs before compressing).
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

blackmyst wrote:I can't seem to find a USF set that has both versions of the fire temple song. I'd like to hear the difference.
They are very similar apart from the 'old people chanting' is replaced with something a lot better. Unfortunately, the current USF rip features only the crap v1.0 version that was never released in Europe.
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

IceFox wrote:I'm sure that several people here use NSRT--just not for renaming. I use NSRT for auditing, deinterleaving, removing headers, and eventually for compressing to JMA (Unfortunately, current NSRT release requires you to rename ROMs before compressing).
I probably would use nsrt if it supported hacks and patched roms.
Otherwise, I end up with a bunch of roms with NSRT naming, but their hacked versions still have goodnames.

Plus, there's goodmerge, which rocks for those of us with frontends that support multiple roms in 7zip archives. My entire SNES rom set went from 15gb to 2.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

rlbond wrote:I probably would use nsrt if it supported hacks and patched roms.
What really makes NSRT popular in my book is the fact that it really doesn't support hacks and pathed roms, not to mention "weird" dumps.
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

What's wrong with supporting hacks and bad dumps? For NSRT having so many features, it is unfortunate it does not have this one. Goodtools supports them and if you sort into directories, puts them all in a nice folder by themselves.

NSRT should *at least* support translation patches, probably hacks. Bad dumps most people could do without.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

rlbond wrote:What's wrong with supporting hacks and bad dumps?
"What's wrong with supporting cannibalism and incest?"

OH WAIT
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

rlbond wrote: NSRT should *at least* support translation patches
Well, I do support translation patches, and that's exactly why I don't catalog a single prepatched image.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by crocomire »

Clements wrote:I use GoodSNES names since I do not use hacked games and have one game per region, usually the U version.
Me too... I don't have:
Super Mario World (A)
Super Mario World (B)
Super Mario World (C)
Super Mario World (D)
Super Mario World (E)
Super Mario World (F)
Super Mario World (G)
Super Mario World (H)
Super Mario World (I)
Super Mario World (J)
Super Mario World (K)
:lol:
THE LAST METROID IS IN CAPTIVITY.
THE GALAXY IS AT PEACE...
patman?

Post by patman? »

I never expected this topic to get so many posts!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

grinvader wrote:
rlbond wrote:What's wrong with supporting hacks and bad dumps?
"What's wrong with supporting cannibalism and incest?"

OH WAIT
WIN.
flamingspinach

Post by flamingspinach »

Is there such a thing as a "perfect dump"? If not, then how can you decide which dumps are "bad"? Though I agree about the hacks and translations. In-memory patching is obviously the way to go.

-fs