Latest version of ZSNES, get it here. (WIP)

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

HalfShadow
Nebulous Bastard

Post by HalfShadow »

One problem: The windowed versions of the different resolutions from 768 x 672 up are, to put it blunty, bugshit.

If I choose a windowed version, it comes up on an angle and the toolbar is pushed offscreen.
Last edited by HalfShadow on Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

parasyte
Rookie

Post by parasyte »

Nach wrote:I have a special edition of ZSNES with 96000Hz support, but if you want to know why I'm laughing, you'll have to convince me to give it to you ;)

Your only hint can be found here: http://advancemame.sf.net
You mean 96000Hz horizontal scan frequency, don't you. Hahahaha. :lol:
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

You're getting warm.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Magus` »

Ugh, I hate seeing a new post in this topic and it has nothing to do with a new WIP.

Thanks a lot, guys.

[edit by grinvader - hopefully this thread will remain clean this time around]
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

About a new WIP, I've been a bit busy lately, so don't expect anything from me for at least two weeks. So till then, unless pagefault gets back into things, or MaxSt suprises me with another patch, we'll have to wait a bit for the next WIP.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by joe_devore »

Nach wrote:About a new WIP, I've been a bit busy lately, so don't expect anything from me for at least two weeks. So till then, unless pagefault gets back into things, or MaxSt suprises me with another patch, we'll have to wait a bit for the next WIP.
Really wish I could help.
I knew C, but nothing about Asembler. :cry:

[removed smiley flood]
darkfalz
Rookie

Post by darkfalz »

MaxSt wrote:Yes, it was intended. That "nicer scanlines" code of darkfalz isn't removed, but somewhat restricted. It's only active in 2 modes now: "640x480 DS FULL" and "1280x960 DS FULL", and only when scanlines are on.
I'm not sure about this. It also provided a correct aspect ratio (important for TV-Out), and it also improved the stretched quality of modes like 2xSAI. I guess it's not extremely important though, if more people insist on having a full stretched image.

There's a bug with the 1280x960 mode, where it seems to be one line too tall or something and it produces artifacts (was like this ever since I added it). If you're going to restrict it to just those two modes, you may as well add this one line fix for the latter (just make the output surface one line bigger or smaller, I forgot which).
Reznor007
Lurker

Post by Reznor007 »

darkfalz wrote:
MaxSt wrote:Yes, it was intended. That "nicer scanlines" code of darkfalz isn't removed, but somewhat restricted. It's only active in 2 modes now: "640x480 DS FULL" and "1280x960 DS FULL", and only when scanlines are on.
I'm not sure about this. It also provided a correct aspect ratio (important for TV-Out), and it also improved the stretched quality of modes like 2xSAI. I guess it's not extremely important though, if more people insist on having a full stretched image.

There's a bug with the 1280x960 mode, where it seems to be one line too tall or something and it produces artifacts (was like this ever since I added it). If you're going to restrict it to just those two modes, you may as well add this one line fix for the latter (just make the output surface one line bigger or smaller, I forgot which).
But it doesn't provide the correct aspect ratio. I provided screenshots of my real SNES compared to MAME/MESS's aspect ratio correction and ZSNES using your code and ZSNES is wrong.
MaxSt
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by MaxSt »

darkfalz wrote:
Yeah, people wanted really full-screen.
And I don't think 10:7 = 1.43 is a correct aspect ratio.
darkfalz wrote: There's a bug with the 1280x960 mode, where it seems to be one line too tall or something and it produces artifacts (was like this ever since I added it). If you're going to restrict it to just those two modes, you may as well add this one line fix for the latter (just make the output surface one line bigger or smaller, I forgot which).
I don't see any artifacts. Can you try it with the latest WIP?
I also did some serious DirectDraw code cleaning at that time, so...

MaxSt.
darkfalz
Rookie

Post by darkfalz »

MaxSt wrote:Yeah, people wanted really full-screen.
But the aspect IS 4:3 at 640x448. What you don't understand is that the 224 is really 240, it's just the the 16 pixels are not shown most of the time except in the games which use the full resolution, but they ARE there, just coloured black. I think it's called "masking" or something. Most arcade and home systems actually use some form of it.
MaxSt wrote: I don't see any artifacts. Can you try it with the latest WIP?
MaxSt.
Yup latest WIP. There is banding in the background graphics at 1280x960, and it's caued by a one pixel off. It could be my card or drivers though, but that would be weird.
MaxSt
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by MaxSt »

darkfalz wrote:There is banding in the background graphics at 1280x960, and it's caued by a one pixel off.
There are many 1280x960 modes, which one? And the game is?

MaxSt.
Reznor007
Lurker

Post by Reznor007 »

darkfalz wrote:
MaxSt wrote:Yeah, people wanted really full-screen.
But the aspect IS 4:3 at 640x448. What you don't understand is that the 224 is really 240, it's just the the 16 pixels are not shown most of the time except in the games which use the full resolution, but they ARE there, just coloured black. I think it's called "masking" or something. Most arcade and home systems actually use some form of it.
MaxSt wrote: I don't see any artifacts. Can you try it with the latest WIP?
MaxSt.
Yup latest WIP. There is banding in the background graphics at 1280x960, and it's caued by a one pixel off. It could be my card or drivers though, but that would be weird.
No, you are wrong. Did you see the post with all the screenshots I took a while back? MAME/MESS's aspect ratio correction made it look near identical to my real SNES via capture card, while ZSNES using your code was rather odd looking.

Here's a sample(MAME has a bug with Chrono, but the aspect is right):
MAME/MESS http://members.cox.net/rdawkins1/chronotec-mame.PNG
Real SNES http://members.cox.net/rdawkins1/chronotec-real.PNG
ZSNES http://members.cox.net/rdawkins1/chronotec-zs.PNG

More:
MAME/MESS http://members.cox.net/rdawkins1/logo-mame.PNG
Real http://members.cox.net/rdawkins1/logo-real.PNG
ZSNES http://members.cox.net/rdawkins1/logo-zs.PNG
BanonX
Rookie

and??

Post by BanonX »

Good to see the forums back...

I see that darkfalz hasn't replied to the last "No you are wrong" post..

I'm really curious about this myself because I use TV out..
All I know is that if I use DR FULL, it doesn't fill my TV screen but the picture looks better. If I use DS FULL, it looks a bit too wide on my TV screen.

Recently what I've been doing is keeping it at 640x480 DR FULL and then switching from 4:3 perspective on me TV to a "Dynamic" wide mode. This brings the top and bottom to the exact correct spot and it doesn't look too wide.. You do see some distortion while walking around on the left and right but that is just the nature of the dynamic strech that can't be helped...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but after thinking for it a bit, I've come to the conclusion that it's not possible to replicate a REAL SNES via TV Out..
Reason being is because the most important thing is to keep the pixels constrained.. it's either 1 px to 1 px (which is pretty damn small... ) or you can make each single pixel 4 pixels or 16 etc.. Since you can't actually "resize" a pixel, the only recourse is to try and use some kind of anti-aliasing or smoothing techniques in order to give the illusion of a full-screen-but-at-the-same-time-correct-aspect visualization.

If Nintendo had dicided to go with a 320x240 resolution instead of ... I don't know whatever it is.. everything would have been dandy..

For the time being, I still am puzzeld as to how you all are acheiving an accurate and full screen aspect ration on your TV out systems (without having to smooth the pixels..)
Reznor007
Lurker

Re: and??

Post by Reznor007 »

BanonX wrote:Good to see the forums back...

I see that darkfalz hasn't replied to the last "No you are wrong" post..

I'm really curious about this myself because I use TV out..
All I know is that if I use DR FULL, it doesn't fill my TV screen but the picture looks better. If I use DS FULL, it looks a bit too wide on my TV screen.

Recently what I've been doing is keeping it at 640x480 DR FULL and then switching from 4:3 perspective on me TV to a "Dynamic" wide mode. This brings the top and bottom to the exact correct spot and it doesn't look too wide.. You do see some distortion while walking around on the left and right but that is just the nature of the dynamic strech that can't be helped...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but after thinking for it a bit, I've come to the conclusion that it's not possible to replicate a REAL SNES via TV Out..
Reason being is because the most important thing is to keep the pixels constrained.. it's either 1 px to 1 px (which is pretty damn small... ) or you can make each single pixel 4 pixels or 16 etc.. Since you can't actually "resize" a pixel, the only recourse is to try and use some kind of anti-aliasing or smoothing techniques in order to give the illusion of a full-screen-but-at-the-same-time-correct-aspect visualization.

If Nintendo had dicided to go with a 320x240 resolution instead of ... I don't know whatever it is.. everything would have been dandy..

For the time being, I still am puzzeld as to how you all are acheiving an accurate and full screen aspect ration on your TV out systems (without having to smooth the pixels..)
Check out MAME/MESS's aspect ratio correction. It works great. I use it on my TV out all the time. ZSNES doesn't really have a proper aspect ratio correction right now. Full screen stretch is closest, but isn't quite right.
BanonX
Rookie

Post by BanonX »

I will try this "Mame/Mess" thing....

Not sure if I'm doing it right though.. I've downloaded the lates WIP Mess (I'm pretty sure I gots a SNES BIOS round here somewhere) but haven't gotten it working yet.. This is what you are talking about right?
Reznor007
Lurker

Post by Reznor007 »

BanonX wrote:I will try this "Mame/Mess" thing....

Not sure if I'm doing it right though.. I've downloaded the lates WIP Mess (I'm pretty sure I gots a SNES BIOS round here somewhere) but haven't gotten it working yet.. This is what you are talking about right?
The current MESS is version .86

Tell the SNES driver to run at 640x480 32bit, enable the Direct3D option, turn off bilinear filtering, and set effect to auto(all on the Direct3D tab). For MESS you also have to disable the new UI under the misc tab before you can enable D3D. If you don't like the CRT simulation effect you can set effect to none.

SNES doesn't have a BIOS so you don't have to worry about it.
BanonX
Rookie

Post by BanonX »

No Bios? Well I guess I don't know how to use it then because in the list, SNES shown up with one of those red circles with a line through it.. indicating.. i'm not sure but seems not to be able to load correctly.. I'll RTFM a bit more.
Reznor007
Lurker

Post by Reznor007 »

BanonX wrote:No Bios? Well I guess I don't know how to use it then because in the list, SNES shown up with one of those red circles with a line through it.. indicating.. i'm not sure but seems not to be able to load correctly.. I'll RTFM a bit more.
Wait...I was wrong. It does have a BIOS, just not a conventional one. It has the SPC700 BIOS, which other SNES emulators do not use.
illegal eagle
Savestate Pimp

Post by illegal eagle »

BanonX wrote:If Nintendo had dicided to go with a 320x240 resolution instead of ... I don't know whatever it is.. everything would have been dandy..
I think the SNES is just not fast enough to change the video signal more than 256 times per line. (The 512x? modes probably use some sort of blending. :?: )
Or it's a limit of the used video signal format.
Reznor007 wrote:Wait...I was wrong. It does have a BIOS, just not a conventional one. It has the SPC700 BIOS, which other SNES emulators do not use.
Afaik there's a 64-byte BIOS in the SPC's RAM, which can be replaced by games. It's required to get data into that RAM.
"Other people can give you more suggestions as I just lost all my motivation to respond further to this post."
[i] - Nightcrawler[/i]

[url=http://www.geocities.com/illegal_eagle_2003/]vSNES v2.00[/url]: My SNES savestate viewer.
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

ZSNES September 7 WIP is now available at ipher's WIP Site

Whats new:

9/07/04
Fixed ROM enlargement by IPS when IPS is out of order. [Nach]

This should fix a few of the soft-patching problems people have been experianceing

-ipher
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
Mexandrew
Taco Kid DX

Post by Mexandrew »

And the new WIP is on Zsnes Corner since yesterday. Just wanted to let you know if you want to use it as a mirror.

Edit: Zsnes Corner is not hosted anymore by freewebs or geocities. So you can be sure you won't see ads or that shit.
B R O K E N .
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

ZSNES September 20 WIP is now available at ipher's WIP site

Whats New

9/20/04
Got input boxes to have a blinking cursor, boy was that rough [Nach]

-ipher
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Strange, CVS didn't update any source file... And I don't have a cursor.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

grinvader wrote:Strange, CVS didn't update any source file... And I don't have a cursor.
You are a peon, only people with the developer status such as ipher are able to access hot of the presses CVS code.