zsnes stretch full screen

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

favian
Rookie

zsnes stretch full screen

Post by favian »

when i have full screen enabled (alt enter) by default

its still never completely fullscreen.

There is still a black outline outside the game screen. I use zsnes with my television set, and its frustrating to see that the full screen isnt being used.

Is there any workaround for this?
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

I bet that the black is actually the border of the screen that is in fact just black because no pixels are directed to it. In other words it was put there by the manufactuer to boast a higher screen relestate.

PS this is a very bad explanation maybe someone can explain it better?
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
favian
Rookie

Post by favian »

rage46 wrote:I bet that the black is actually the border of the screen that is in fact just black because no pixels are directed to it. In other words it was put there by the manufactuer to boast a higher screen relestate.

PS this is a very bad explanation maybe someone can explain it better?
its a black square border. The problem is, i dont want that black border, i want the game screen stretched completely. And this isnt just one game by the way, this is all games.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I'm quite sure it is intended to be that way, something regarding snes real screen ratio. Which Zsnes version are you using?
Last edited by Joe Camacho on Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
ThunderClaw
I know where you live.

Post by ThunderClaw »

Curse those crazy authors for not wanting to mangle the aspect ratio of the game, I guess.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Well, it's fully stretched for me on my PC monitor, latest WIP, using 1280x1024 DS Full.
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

Ya but he is using his tv.

BTW TV resolutions are 640x480 are they not? If thats the case try that, unless you have and HDTV.
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
ThunderClaw
I know where you live.

Post by ThunderClaw »

rage46 wrote:Ya but he is using his tv.

BTW TV resolutions are 640x480 are they not? If thats the case try that, unless you have and HDTV.
320x280, I think.

Not positive.
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

Great now I've got to go find out...
caffeine
Rookie

wtf?

Post by caffeine »

you can have zsnes stretched to full screen as well as in an aspect-ratio black box.

(assuming that your tv usually always shows your computer @ full screen)

nevermind... answered in other thread.
(caffeine)

[url=http://www.freepgs.com/deejay2/z/][img]http://freepgs.com/deejay2/z/sig.png[/img][/url]
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

According to here, NTSC is Xx525, where X depends on the equipment.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Reznor007
Lurker

Post by Reznor007 »

It should be full screen to be the correct aspect ratio. Darkfalz's code is actually quite incorrect.
JFD62780
Rookie

Post by JFD62780 »

Actually, from my experience (long story ahead), there are 2 8-scanline-tall borders on the top and the bottom of the screen. I used to own a 1981 TV that had a control in the back that let you control how tall or short the scanlines were. I set it to just enough where all the scanlines were on the screen from edge to edge. Not an easy feat. I did this after I fiddled with the focus controls. ;)

The NES had a few early games that took advantage, most notably Super Mario Brothers, which simply painted the background color beyond the normal screen boundaries (or overscan for you TV geeks). The fact was even vaguely mentioned in its instruction booklet, but it was there.

When I got my Super NES, I noticed those black bars, but I didn't mind them; they were part of its charm. :)

See? You got it from me; the black bars do exist (in fullscreen NTSC, at least), so who's to say that Darkfalz is incorrect? 640x480 sure acts native enough to me! :D
Until next post...
favian
Rookie

Post by favian »

JFD62780 wrote:Actually, from my experience (long story ahead), there are 2 8-scanline-tall borders on the top and the bottom of the screen. I used to own a 1981 TV that had a control in the back that let you control how tall or short the scanlines were. I set it to just enough where all the scanlines were on the screen from edge to edge. Not an easy feat. I did this after I fiddled with the focus controls. ;)

The NES had a few early games that took advantage, most notably Super Mario Brothers, which simply painted the background color beyond the normal screen boundaries (or overscan for you TV geeks). The fact was even vaguely mentioned in its instruction booklet, but it was there.

When I got my Super NES, I noticed those black bars, but I didn't mind them; they were part of its charm. :)

See? You got it from me; the black bars do exist (in fullscreen NTSC, at least), so who's to say that Darkfalz is incorrect? 640x480 sure acts native enough to me! :D
well an option to stretch to fullscreen would be nice to get rid of the black bars, regardless of whether or not it is faithful, giving the user the option is a feature that would be nice.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Pressing Alt+Enter without having configured your video settings will use a DR mode. Just select a DS mode from the Config>Video menu.
PGN-X
Rookie

Post by PGN-X »

How the hell can you play zsnes on your TV?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

xzib1t wrote:How the hell can you play zsnes on your TV?
With... A video card with tv-out? RCA or S-video output is kind of standard in videocards. Although I think there is no more cards with RCA, only S-video.
ThunderClaw
I know where you live.

Post by ThunderClaw »

Joe Camacho wrote:Although I think there is no more cards with RCA, only S-video.
Many cards include the S-Video -> RCA adapter, and even if they do not, not even RadioShack can charge you more than a few bucks for one.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

ThunderClaw wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:Although I think there is no more cards with RCA, only S-video.
Many cards include the S-Video -> RCA adapter, and even if they do not, not even RadioShack can charge you more than a few bucks for one.
Oh yeah, forgot about that, My Rady came with one of those adaptors, sorry.
Mark7
Hazed

Post by Mark7 »

- Look for an overscan option in your videocard driver settings
- Try 720*480 (fullscreen opengl) in snes9x
Reznor007
Lurker

Post by Reznor007 »

JFD62780 wrote:Actually, from my experience (long story ahead), there are 2 8-scanline-tall borders on the top and the bottom of the screen. I used to own a 1981 TV that had a control in the back that let you control how tall or short the scanlines were. I set it to just enough where all the scanlines were on the screen from edge to edge. Not an easy feat. I did this after I fiddled with the focus controls. ;)

His code is wong though. It stretches the game to a wrong aspect ratio. Some games do have black borders, which are totally normal, however the actual game content should still be seen as 4:3. I think Darkfalz's code uses 8:7 or something. I provided several screenshot comparisons from a real SNES to ZSNES and ZSNES was wrong. MESS/MAME got it almost exactly like the real SNES though.
BanonX
Rookie

I've seen your screen shots

Post by BanonX »

and I think what you are forgetting is that although darkfalzs aspect ratio looks odd on a PC monitor (where the top and bottom black is visible) on a TV it is not visible. Which is the point he has been trying to make all this time. If you stretch the perspective vertically until those black bars disappear, it would look identical to a real SNES display on a TV screen..
Problem is that I can't make my video card do that...
Reznor007
Lurker

Re: I've seen your screen shots

Post by Reznor007 »

BanonX wrote:and I think what you are forgetting is that although darkfalzs aspect ratio looks odd on a PC monitor (where the top and bottom black is visible) on a TV it is not visible. Which is the point he has been trying to make all this time. If you stretch the perspective vertically until those black bars disappear, it would look identical to a real SNES display on a TV screen..
Problem is that I can't make my video card do that...
The black bars are visible though. I've used TV out on my 9600 and I still see the bars. A PC monitor and TV are the same aspect ratio ;)
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

I don't think many people have taken into consideration overscan.
JFD62780
Rookie

Re: I've seen your screen shots

Post by JFD62780 »

Reznor007 wrote:The black bars are visible though. I've used TV out on my 9600 and I still see the bars. A PC monitor and TV are the same aspect ratio ;)
Only cause the freakin' card still chooses to shrink the f*&#%^ video output, so that you can see EVERYTHING... I HATE PC-to-TV adapters that don't appreciate the power of overscan. x.x
Until next post...