Request thread for resolutions

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

AspiringSquire
Born to Rule... Impatiently

Post by AspiringSquire »

As I said in an earlier thread on this same topic, I would like to have certain additions to the DOS video modes. I think it's only fair to have SNES-resolution option(s) for both VESA2 and MODEX (MODEX happens to be fastest for me):
256x224x8B MODEX
256x224x8B VESA2
256x224x16B VESA2

I don't think it's asking too much to include a base-line resolution; do you? :P
[url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3298][color=brown]My [u]NES palette[/u][/color][/url] - better colors with any emulator.

"the more you know, and the more you can do... the more you are."
- [url=http://www.danielbohman.com][color=brown][u]daniel bohman[/u][/color][/url]
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Any more requests for the ability to input one's preferred resolution will result in such a feature taking longer to implement. *sigh*
vigi_lante
Rookie

Post by vigi_lante »

AspiringSquire wrote:As I said in an earlier thread on this same topic, I would like to have certain additions to the DOS video modes. I think it's only fair to have SNES-resolution option(s) for both VESA2 and MODEX (MODEX happens to be fastest for me):
256x224x8B MODEX
256x224x8B VESA2
256x224x16B VESA2

I don't think it's asking too much to include a base-line resolution; do you? :P
I second this guy. It's something that I always thought it was important. I'm glad do see that someone else also thinks the same.

256x224x16B VESA2 would be great!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

256x224x16B VESA2 would be great!
You do realize that this is for DOS.. and not Windows right?
256x224x8B VESA2
256x224x16B VESA2
Are those even valid VESA2 resolutions?

I thought the minimum res was 320x200 for a VESA2 mode...
vigi_lante
Rookie

Post by vigi_lante »

You do realize that this is for DOS.. and not Windows right?´
Yes. I know.
Are those even valid VESA2 resolutions?

I thought the minimum res was 320x200 for a VESA2 mode...
I guess you are right. But it's odd, since I can use Vesa 256x240 (Linear) on Nesticle (and I'm sure it's Vesa, not ModeX). So, I'm curious if 256x240 using Vesa is really possible or not.

Anyway, ModeX 256x240 would still be nice.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Why would you want to limit yourself.

A whole lot of games aren't playable at these resolutions.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Oh right.. the res wouldn't let games like Secret of Mana to work properly..

Never mind.. it's a waste of time.
vigi_lante
Rookie

Post by vigi_lante »

Compatibility purposes.
Last edited by vigi_lante on Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Quit polluting my thread with your STUPID, damnit.
AspiringSquire
Born to Rule... Impatiently

Post by AspiringSquire »

grinvader wrote:Why would you want to limit yourself.

A whole lot of games aren't playable at these resolutions.
The low resolutions would be helpful on a PC that struggles just to run ZSNES at a tolerable speed. Many games are "unplayable" already on such a setup; having the lowest possible resolution will improve the performance a bit.

Even if VESA2 can't go that low, I'd really appreciate having the minimum resolution for MODEX (it's faster anyway).
[url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3298][color=brown]My [u]NES palette[/u][/color][/url] - better colors with any emulator.

"the more you know, and the more you can do... the more you are."
- [url=http://www.danielbohman.com][color=brown][u]daniel bohman[/u][/color][/url]
Bahamut_ZERO_Clue

Post by Bahamut_ZERO_Clue »

Just a reminder...

ZSNES renders internally at 13-15bpp. Anything drawn by DirectX, OpenGL, VESA2/SVGA, VESA1.2/SVGA, or XWin usually renders no less than 16bpp. By most accounts each mode of the SNES graphics engine displays at 256colors along with the transparencies with variations between each mode (1-7) requiring a 13bpp or a 15bpp engine to display proper colors both in opaque and alpha. Now take into the account how each mode is rendered simultaniously with other modes of display and you end up with a very large color pallete of 13-15bpp. Now to display those properly any graphics card much be able to render 16, 24, or 32bpp correctly.

Now if an 8bpp method of rendering is used or a VESA1 is used only a partial color pallete is displayed and usually half the color pallete is not rendered except for what the 8bpp allows and even then transparencies are either partially supported or not at all.

This is mainly why ZSnes on any platform recommends a graphics card capable of displaying 16bpp color through either VESA1.2/2.0, DirectX, XWin, or OpenGL because with these you get the maximum rendering capability of the ZSnes engine displayed even though it doesn't use every color avaliable in 16bpp, 24bpp, or even 32bpp.

Now take into the account of the ZSnes Interpolation/Bilinear Filtering methods and you get an even larger pallete of color because each pizxel rendered is blended with it's neighboring pixels to create a smoother edge.
WolfWings
Hazed

Another widescreen laptop request...

Post by WolfWings »

1280x768 R FULL
Xijar

Post by Xijar »

1280x800 DR F would be an ideal resolution to have available; seems to be an increasingly common laptop resolution.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Xijar wrote:1280x800 DR F would be an ideal resolution to have available; seems to be an increasingly common laptop resolution.
Definitely agreed now that I have a 16:9 laptop, plus:

1280x800 DS Full
1440x900 DR Full
1440x900 DS Full

...would be great.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

This sort of topic will be never ending until someone decides to query available resolutions supported by the display adapter and allow the user to select one based on that.

Such a thing would put an end to this.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Or, y'know, until I implement custom resolution input.
ZeroGMi

1280x768 Resolution Request

Post by ZeroGMi »

Greetings, Everyone,

This is the first time I've posted in these forums.

To be honest, I've used ZSNES for quite some time and am very pleased with all of it's features. However, I recently purchased a new Magnavox 26" widescreen HD TV/monitor, which are becoming more and more common among PC gamers. I've noticed one little incompatibility issue between it and ZSNES for Windows.

All of the available fullscreen resolutions are made for standard monitors. There are no widescreen resolutions. By default, my monitor uses a maximum resolution of 1280x768, so when I use ZSNES' standard 1024x768 fullscreen resolution, the game screen stretches sideways making all of the graphics look smashed down.

I would like to request, if possible, that an upcoming Windows version of ZSNES be able to support 1280x768 DR fullscreen resolution with enough 'open space' on either side of the game screen to prevent it from being smashed down.

Thank you in advance for taking this into consideration.

-- Zero
Jipcy
Veteran

Re: 1280x768 Resolution Request

Post by Jipcy »

ZeroGMi wrote:By default, my monitor uses a maximum resolution of 1280x768, so when I use ZSNES' standard 1024x768 fullscreen resolution, the game screen stretches sideways making all of the graphics look smashed down.
As a temporary solution, try checking the settings on your monitor. Sometimes they have an option not to stretch stuff and simply have a 1:1 pixel correlation. Meaning, it would use the middle 1024 horizontal pixels, thus resulting in the correct aspect ratio.

Just play with your monitor settings, it may help.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
ZeroGMi

Re: 1280x768 Resolution Request

Post by ZeroGMi »

Jipcy wrote:As a temporary solution, try checking the settings on your monitor. Sometimes they have an option not to stretch stuff and simply have a 1:1 pixel correlation. Meaning, it would use the middle 1024 horizontal pixels, thus resulting in the correct aspect ratio.

Just play with your monitor settings, it may help.
Thank you very much for your suggestion.

However, I've already tried this, as I play many games on my PC that don't support widescreen resolution. Unfortunately, this monitor doesn't seem very friendly toward such a concept. I'm able to switch the format when using the HD TV/monitor to watch television or play connected console games (Mario Party 7 looks awesome on this thing) ... but when it comes to using the PC input, there is no way to alter the widescreen format. At least, not with this specific make and model.

Fortunately, most modern games such as Unreal Tournament 2004, support widescreen resolutions. Hopefully, ZSNES will soon as well.

-- Zero
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

ZSNES currently already supports at least one widescreen resolution. Currently, however, I'm in the middle of writing custom resolution input. If you'd like to help, you could start by learning some ASM and delving into *intrf.asm in linux/ and win/, or you can be one of the pre-CVS testers once I get it at least semi-functional without the GUI code [which will depend on ipher, as I am not beating my head on the wall just for this, which is what I was doing up until some genius suggested writing the backend :P].
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Don't kill yourself for this, Aerdan. I thought up a load of crazy stuff (that involves some hours working in GUI code ;_;) to take care of everything that could happen (well, except for the DOS port); and no need for screwy input boxes.

Note for the curious: this is gonna be long. Don't expect it anytime soon.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
rebbo

Post by rebbo »

1366x768 and 1280x720 would be nice for HDTV LCDs and
1980x1080 for full HD Panels
flowrent
Rookie

Post by flowrent »

My requests are 912x684 and 1152x896 windowed.
The existing windowed resolutions are just too small :(
flowrent
Rookie

Post by flowrent »

Any opinions on my requests?? :roll:
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

flowrent wrote:The existing windowed resolutions are just too small :(
Too small? I find that hard to believe.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.