some game issues with ZSNES(FF2/Mk3)

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Xenos80

some game issues with ZSNES(FF2/Mk3)

Post by Xenos80 »

Hello. I was wondering if you all can help me with this problem with a few games. I use the following for settings:

Video Mode: 640x480 DR Full
V-sync is on
I have scan lines enabled 50%
Auto Frame rate is on, with a max frame skip of 0

The rest of options are on its default settings.

PC Specs:

2.53 Ghz Pentium 4 Cpu
1 Gig of PC 2700 DDR-333 Memory
Radeon 9700 Pro w/ latest drivers
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/ latest drivers

The Problem: Different Gameplay results

When playing Final Fantasy 2(US version) with latest WIP of ZSNES(its the 0803 version zip file), gameplay is not as smooth as the console version. It's not terrible, but it feels slower, as if walking thru some water. If I use v 1.36 of zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)(an older version), this problem goes away. Gameplay feels just fine. However, I also like to play Mortal Kombat 3. With this version(v 1.36), the sound is messed up on certain aspects of gameplay. The latest version of ZSNES fixes this, however I am back to my original problem, FF2 being not as smooth as I would like it. Is there a particular reason this is happening, or is there an even better version of ZSNES that will solve these issues simultaneously? In summary, v 1.36 feels more right in speed/smoothness than most recent WIP build of ZSNES, but the tradeoff is sound issues which are resolved in latest version.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Run Zsnes with the -6 switch and see if that helps.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Doesn't -6 just force 640*480 DR FULL?
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

The switch "-6" forces 60 Hz refresh rate, I believe. Shouldn't force the actual resolution in pixels to change.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Kagerato wrote:The switch "-6" forces 60 Hz refresh rate, I believe. Shouldn't force the actual resolution in pixels to change.
This is correct.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Oh...
Xenos80

Post by Xenos80 »

Forgive me for asking, but how exactly do you run Zsnes with the -6 switch? I looked in the interface options and I don't see that particular selection.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

You have to run it in the Command Line (ie DOS console). Just type in:

zsnes -6 game.smc
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Xenos80

Post by Xenos80 »

I have Windows XP, so dos isn't normally on. I tried going to start button, then run and put this "zsnes -6 game.smc" is the box but windows says it can't find ZSNES. I also tried hitting the tilde key within ZSNES to see if I could put on a console menu. That was not the case. Sorry for the confusion, but I don't work w/ dos that much. If you or anyone else has more detailed instructions I'd really appreciated it. Thank you.
Cecil
Paladin

Post by Cecil »

Xenos80 wrote:I have Windows XP, so dos isn't normally on. I tried going to start button, then run and put this "zsnes -6 game.smc" is the box but windows says it can't find ZSNES. I also tried hitting the tilde key within ZSNES to see if I could put on a console menu. That was not the case. Sorry for the confusion, but I don't work w/ dos that much. If you or anyone else has more detailed instructions I'd really appreciated it. Thank you.
To find the command line console, open the start menu, go to All Programs, then to Accessories, and it's the program called Command Prompt.
System Specs:

2.2GHz Athlon64 X2 4400+, 2GB DDR 400 SDRAM
EVGA Geforce 7600GT 256MB
Realtek AC '97
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Malcster
Hazed

Post by Malcster »

Make a file called zsnes.bat and put it in your zsnes folder. If you want it to run a file called fifan2.smc then all the bat file needs to contain is:

Code: Select all

zsnes -6 fifan2.smc
It's much quicker to do things with a command line really, but if you have no experience doing it then making a batch file is probably easier. Once you've done it, you can just double click on the batch file and it will start Zsnes with the 60 Hz option.
Xenos80

Post by Xenos80 »

I made a file called zsnes.bat and put it a folder named Zsnes. If i wanted to run say for example FF2.smc ROM w/ the switch -6, do I rename the zsnes.bat file to "zsnes -6 FF2.bat??

I tried running from command prompt to directory of where my Zsnes folder is located. I typed " D:\Data\Zsnes\zsnes.bat and it doesnt work. Sorry for all the questions, but I have never worked much inside of DOS.
Silensho
Eternal Witness

Post by Silensho »

AFAIK the bat file can have any name. What you have to change is the name of the game you want to play "inside the bat file".

As Malcster said, if you want to play the fifan2.smc rom the file should have

zsnes -6 fifan2.smc
and if you wanted to play the mk3.fig file the bat file then should have

zsnes -6 mk3.fig
Holy console problem bat-man!!!
What?
Malcster
Hazed

Post by Malcster »

Xenos80 wrote:I tried running from command prompt to directory of where my Zsnes folder is located. I typed " D:\Data\Zsnes\zsnes.bat and it doesnt work. Sorry for all the questions, but I have never worked much inside of DOS.
With a .bat file you don't need to use the command line at all. You can just double click on the bat file in windows explorer or whatever, and it'll execute.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I just use a shotcut that I've edited to contain the -6 switch.
Xenos80

Post by Xenos80 »

I tried using "zsnes -6 FF2.smc.bat" as the bat file and it doesn't open. I am still not exactly sure what the

zsnes -6 FF2.smc
part means. I am using FF2.scm rom file as an example. Agozer mentioned using a shortcut that has been edited to contain the -6 switch. I am at a lost for doing that, assuming its easier. I appreciate all your patience guys, I never worked with bat files/dos files much before. Thank you all for your time so far.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

I think Agozer is saying that you make a shortcut of ZSNES. Then you right click the shortcut and go to properties. Find the target like "D:\Emulators\zsneswwip.exe" and add -6 to it. So it would become something like this. "D:\Emulators\zsneswwip.exe" -6
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Xenos80

Post by Xenos80 »

I created a shortcut on my desktop and added this in the target box in the properties menu. "D:\Data\Zsnes\zsnesw.exe -6" (w/o the quotes though). I don't know if their is a way to confirm its running on 60 Hz forced rate or not. Whatever the case, Final Fantasy 2 still runs slower than it does on v 1.36. I don't know why either. I would continue to use v 1.36 if it didn't have the sound artifacts in Mortal Kombat 3. Any other ideas on why this occurs? Also, Super Mario All stars is slower on latest WIP than on v 1.36 as well.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: some game issues with ZSNES(FF2/Mk3)

Post by grinvader »

Xenos80 wrote:V-sync is on
Auto Frame rate is on, with a max frame skip of 0

(...) gameplay is not as smooth as the console version.
Auto Frame rate is seriously hindered if you don't give it a margin to buffer in case of slowdown.
Auto Frame Rate ON -> Max Frame Skip 9.

This isn't a 'bad' setting, this just means that instead of slowing down (your problem, it seems) the emu will skip frames. The more frames you allow it to skip, the less slowdown you'll encounter.
True, heavy frameskipping leads to choppy sprite animations, but I really think you'll have nothing of the sort with your system specs.

Just give it a shot, and see if it helps.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
jdratlif
Regular

Sept 7 version?

Post by jdratlif »

Have you tried the Sept 7 WIP version with Triple Buffering?

I had some very bad refresh problems with FF2 US and it hurt my eyes. I played with the settings and I don't see the problem anymore. So either my eyes changed, or the settings are better.

I use Triple Buffering and Super 2xSai.

Your computer is faster than mine, and mine runs just fine.

http://ipherswipsite.com
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Well, he did try using the latest WIP version. And you didn't have to bump up this dead thread.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
jdratlif
Regular

Post by jdratlif »

snkcube wrote:Well, he did try using the latest WIP version. And you didn't have to bump up this dead thread.
He said he used version 0803. That is NOT the latest WIP version. 0907 is. Which came out two days after his last post, in which he says his problem is not solved. Therefore, this is not a dead thread.

I do not know if the 0803 version had Triple Buffering. My last WIP was 0508 (before the 0907 version).

Try reading what people post before responding.

"Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Yes, quite true. However, you seem to not have read that the only difference between the two is improved IPS patching.
jdratlif
Regular

Post by jdratlif »

Noxious Ninja wrote:Yes, quite true. However, you seem to not have read that the only difference between the two is improved IPS patching.
Yes, you are right.

But my response was related to the fact that snkcube didn't read what I posted about the triple buffering. I also noted that I didn't know whether triple buffering was available in 0803. The point was that snkcube missed that I was not suggesting that the newest version will solve his problem, but that the feature triple buffering, which may or may not have been in 0803 (apparently it was) may solve his problem.
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

I have 0803. It has triple buffering.