New to emulators

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

skor

New to emulators

Post by skor »

Hi, I'm new to emulators and have downloaded ZSNES for the sole purpose of playing the old FF games. I'm trying out FF:V right now, but know none of the controls! I know to use the arrow keys to navigate the fighting screen, but don't know how to select an attack option.
Please help soon.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Please look around the emulator for the controls. It's not that hard.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
skor

Post by skor »

ok, I found a way to edit the controls.
The key that had origionally been set for select had been abbreviated to 'RSC'
Do you have any idea which key that would have been?
Anyways, I can find no way to make it past the first part even, my only attack is 'defend' and one option titled 'row "' which I have no idea what it means.
Ah well, maybe I'll have some luck with FF:IV
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

You know, you could just edit each input to your own liking; you don't have to stick with whatever defaults the emulator throws at you.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
aminalshmu
Rookie

Post by aminalshmu »

RSC = RSH maybe? right shift? i think that's the default...
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

skor wrote:Anyways, I can find no way to make it past the first part even, my only attack is 'defend' and one option titled 'row "' which I have no idea what it means.
Ah well, maybe I'll have some luck with FF:IV
Just press A at "attack". Though I really hope that wasn't your problem.

FF4 has a near identical battle system, so if you can't figure this out then you won't have any more luck at that game.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

If he has only the defend and row options he should try pressing left or right once, the normal menu with attack, magic etc. should come up. Then you can press A at attack.

EDIT: for saneness
Last edited by Hyos on Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Assuming the Battle Cursor is set to "Reset" in the Config menu, the cursor will always highlight the "Fight" command...

If that's not the case, there is probably a bug with the ROM and/or translation (both are possible).

These names are based off of the RPGe 1.1 version English translation of FF5...

There are FAQs and Walkthroughs on the controls of FF5... although if you're solely concerned about playing the FF series on the SNES... you are better off trying to read up on a little before you start (but really, it's not that hard in the first place)

Row = Change the current row that the character is currently in
Defend = Defend for that character's turn until it is his/her next turn.

I would suggest though that you play FF2 (or FF4, the harder Japanese version of the same game) or FF3 (aka FF6 which is in Japanese) before playing FF5. You will understand how to play FF5 better. (Then again, it really isn't that difficult in the first place)
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...