Getting copy protection screen in super metroid.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Dko

Getting copy protection screen in super metroid.

Post by Dko »

Can anyone tell me why im getting this screen? It happens when ever I open the games file thru the emulator. But if I drag and drop the file it doesn't do it. Plus I can by pass it by just loading a save state. But I would rather have it start up correctly. Thanks for any help in advance.

If it helps I have version 1.42
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Try deleting your cfg and dat files.

What version of ZSNES are you using?

Is it possible that you have downloaded a bad ROM image? Do you see a file called "ROMinfo.txt"?
Gospel
Hazed

Post by Gospel »

I'm having a problem with the actual cart.

I bought it from a junk store the other day, and I heard something rattling inside the cart when I shook it. I figured it was my luck that everything would be broken to hell on the inside, but I bought it anyway.

When I got home and opened the cart, the rattling turned out to be a loose battery in the cart, so I pushed it into the clips as best I could. It isn't a tight fit at all, but I don't know how else to clip the battery into place.

Anyway, when I put it in my SNES, I get a black screen. Nothing. I tried cleaning the contacts, and even playing without the battery in, but it's no good.

Anyone have any ideas?
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Gospel wrote:I'm having a problem with the actual cart.

I bought it from a junk store the other day, and I heard something rattling inside the cart when I shook it. I figured it was my luck that everything would be broken to hell on the inside, but I bought it anyway.

When I got home and opened the cart, the rattling turned out to be a loose battery in the cart, so I pushed it into the clips as best I could. It isn't a tight fit at all, but I don't know how else to clip the battery into place.

Anyway, when I put it in my SNES, I get a black screen. Nothing. I tried cleaning the contacts, and even playing without the battery in, but it's no good.

Anyone have any ideas?
It took a lot of force to dislodge the battery. It should have been welded and soldered. If the battery came loose, then something traumatic must have happened. I wouldn't be suprised if it doesn't work, but it's worth a shot to replace the battery.
http://www.digitpress.com/livefaq/index ... artlang=en

If you replace the battery, make sure you get the orientation correct. Also make sure that the metal strip is still attached to the game cartridge PCB.

If it doesn't work, at least you can say that you own a legal copy and have a right to a personal backup image (ROM file).
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

iirc on an emulator, it was because of a bad game genie code, do you remember using any form of cheat codes while using Super Metroid ?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Dumb thought, could it be forcing the opposite region like trying to force ntsc on a pal game, or the reverse?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Ichinisan wrote:
Gospel wrote:I'm having a problem with the actual cart.

Anyone have any ideas?
It took a lot of force to dislodge the battery. It should have been welded and soldered. If the battery came loose, then something traumatic must have happened.
Welds could have been bad to start with, and a rather mild jolt released them.