Nestopia 1.39

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

JFD62780
Rookie

Post by JFD62780 »

Marty wrote:Yeah, it's an embarrassing bug that I forgot to fix before the v1.25 release. With the bug removed, the ziggyziggy lines will show up correctly.
If it makes you feel any better, the 1.25 NTSC mode was the composite video mode I wished my NES would have! :P
Until next post...
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

AWESOME!! Nestopia 1.25 walks all over FCEU which is what I was using before. I did notice a couple things however. Some of the sound effects (jumping and shooting) are glitched in Contra. I hear what I can only describe as a shoe squeeking on a gym floor just after the sound effect ends. Also, the graphics in Chrysalis are messed up when walking towards the right of the screen. As I remember Chrysalis was always a glitchy-ass game to begin with, so it may not be the Emu. I had to adjust the screen position to get it to display properly, but other than that, Nestopia 1.25 is by far my new favorite NES Emu. Thanks Marty!
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

Actually, I just ran into a problem. I can't save! Netsopia and all of it's files/ subfolders are set as read only and I can't change them. I go to properties, uncheck read-only and click apply. As soon as I hit OK and then check properties again, its back to read-only. Now, maybe I'm missing something, but I also noticed that the check box for read only doesn't show a check mark, but is solid green instead. Is this a windows problem? Is there a reason windows won't let me change the properties?I'm running XP media center edition if it matters, and also my computer isn't connected to the internet (no router) so I have to use a diff. comp. save the files to disk, the transfer them to my system. Could that be why? I've never had it stop me from changing file properties after tranferring from a disk before.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

It's a Windows problem, not Nestopia's fault. My folders are marked as read-only as well (solid green), yet there aren't any read-only attributes set in reality.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Hello, and welcome to the way that program folders should have been years ago, if not for everyone having administrator level access on their Windows machines by default.

By default, non-administrator users should not have write access to folders such as Program Files or the Windows installation folder. It's not Windows' fault if you don't have ownership or access to the folder. Actually, it's better this way.

Your settings should either go into the registry (under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER root) or under your user directory. (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>. Application data should go in a folder under C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data, or perhaps for wider compatibility, the My Documents folder. There are documented functions for retrieving paths to these folders in programs, and I don't mean using the environment variables such as AppData.)
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

Um, okay. Are you saying I can't change the read-only properties because I'm not set up as an adminstrator? Because the thing is, I am set-up as an administrator. In fact I'm the only person with access to my computer. I should also clarify the problem a bit. Nestopia saves it's config and savestates just fine. The problem is that in-game saves don't work. I like using both as a back-up. Also, whenever I go to close out a game that uses in-game saves, I get the error message "couldn't save image data".
Oh and I have discovered that Arkanoid no longer works with Nestopia. Worked fine with FCEU, but in Nestopia the directional buttons don't work at all.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Perhaps your save RAM directory is misconfigured? Either way, then, ignore the long winded rant about programs storing their user-specific settings under the program folder.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

The battery backup bit might not be set in the rom. Nestopia will ignore any kind of sram saves if that's the case. I just found that out by looking at nestopia's message board, Heh.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

powerspike wrote:The battery backup bit might not be set in the rom. Nestopia will ignore any kind of sram saves if that's the case. I just found that out by looking at nestopia's message board, Heh.
He is reporting an error that would indicate that the emulator is trying to save the battery backed memory to a file and failing. Too bad it doesn't display the path or the specific error in the process.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

All my folders in windows xp are maked read only with a grey checkmark. Even if you uncheck it, it'll come back etiher way. However the files inside the save folder shouldn't be marked read only at all. The guy is probably just doing something wrong. Hopefully he has read only unchecked for the save path inside nestopia.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Yay. That's what I get for posting when I just woke up. Sorry about the double posts. The board is screwed up. It's in some kind of debug mode.
Marty
Nestopia Developer
Nestopia Developer

Post by Marty »

Also, whenever I go to close out a game that uses in-game saves, I get the error message "couldn't save image data".
Seems like the CreateFile(...) WinAPI function refuses to cope. As others have suggested, check your file & directory attributes and make sure that the save directory declared in menu->options->paths really exist.
Oh and I have discovered that Arkanoid no longer works with Nestopia. Worked fine with FCEU, but in Nestopia the directional buttons don't work at all.
Have you tried the mouse?
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

I'll make sure the file exists to be sure. Didn't think of trying the mouse, I'll check that out. And Powerspike: My "read-only" check boxes aren't checked at all. They are filled in solid GREEN, not grey, and can't I uncheck them. Not a check mark, but the check box is filled in solid. All my Nestopia files are this way and I can't change it.
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

Alright. Marty called it. Nestopia was trying to save to non-existant files. Problem fixed. Still don't know why I can't change the read-only thing, but whatever, everything works now. Oh, and Arkanoid works great with the mouse. I didn't realize it set up to automatically use the mouse as the Arkanoid panel. Cool feature though. Looks like everything is cool now. God I feel like such an amatuer... One last Arkanoid note. For some reason I have infinite lives. Seriously, I tried to run out and can't.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Thebullfrog wrote:Alright. Marty called it. Nestopia was trying to save to non-existant files. Problem fixed. Still don't know why I can't change the read-only thing, but whatever, everything works now. Oh, and Arkanoid works great with the mouse. I didn't realize it set up to automatically use the mouse as the Arkanoid panel. Cool feature though. Looks like everything is cool now. God I feel like such an amatuer... One last Arkanoid note. For some reason I have infinite lives. Seriously, I tried to run out and can't.
It's probably your rom (hacked or corrupt)
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Thebullfrog wrote:Powerspike: My "read-only" check boxes aren't checked at all. They are filled in solid GREEN, not grey, and can't I uncheck them. Not a check mark, but the check box is filled in solid. All my Nestopia files are this way and I can't change it.
Jezz, I know I screwed up. I said I was sorry. : )
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Haha I guess I didn't say I was sorry. My edited post never got up on the board. Anyway sorry.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Triple buffering doesn't work for me in 1.25. Does anyone else experience this?
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Okay don't lapidate me,just wanted to apologize for the double post (and yes I know that's triple with this one) but I couldn't edit my post. The board is fucking up big time right now...
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

It's cool powerspike. I was actually just making sure to clarify the problem, it wasn't a rebuttal (well, okay maybe it was:) As far as the Arkanoid thing, no it isn't the ROM. On FCEU I ran out of lives very quickly. I suck at that game. Seems odd that it worked fine with FCEU but on Nestopia I have Infinite lives. Not that I'm really complaining, I mean if a damn near impossible game is going to have a bug, then why not one that gives you immortality?:)
Triple buffering works fine for me BTW.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Thebullfrog wrote:It's cool powerspike. I was actually just making sure to clarify the problem, it wasn't a rebuttal (well, okay maybe it was:) As far as the Arkanoid thing, no it isn't the ROM. On FCEU I ran out of lives very quickly. I suck at that game. Seems odd that it worked fine with FCEU but on Nestopia I have Infinite lives. Not that I'm really complaining, I mean if a damn near impossible game is going to have a bug, then why not one that gives you immortality?:)
Triple buffering works fine for me BTW.
Concerning Arkanoid (N.e.s):You cannot rule out the problem being a rom issue. I think Nestopia is more "picky" about roms. It's possible that FCEultra is automatically fixing your rom,too.

Anyone else has problems with TB in 1.25?
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Sorry for Double post,can't edit.

edit: It's your rom. I just tested with Nestopia. No infinitite lives issue. You should try fixing the rom with some auditing tools.Obviously,make sure there's not some cheat code enabled either.
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

Okay, I'll try getting a different copy of the ROM or fix it or whatever. Maybe you're right, FCEU may have been fixing it.
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Nestopia Home Page wrote:Feb 3 2006

Version 1.26 is out. Here are the changes:

Windows Additions:

* Automatic joystick axes recalibration.
* More video filter options.

Windows Changes:

* ::GetLongPathName() is now used in conjunction with ::GetCommandLine().
* Better logic for when and when not to preserve the NES picture scale factor in fullscreen.
* Minor aestetic fixes.

Windows Fixes:

* Crash on start in 98/ME.
* Crash on exit when two or more video devices are present.
* Invalid fullscreen view on dual displays.
* Parameter change in ::CompareString() for 98/ME/2k compatibility.
* Correct LIB linking order for MSLU.
* Bug in WM_DROPFILES and WM_COPYDATA handlers.
* Certain input keys are now ignored. Fixes some japanese keyboards.
* Can now parse unquoted filenames from the command-line.

Emulator Additions:

* MD5 instead of CRC when checking for modified data.
* New image file CRCs for auto detection of controllers.
* Database entries.

Emulator Changes:

* NTSC filter optimizations.
* Minor palette modifications.
* __attribute__ ((fastcall)) removed. Seems to be broken in GCC.

Emulator Fixes:

* Some NTSC filter bugs.
* Patch for "My Life My Love - Boku no Yume - Watashi no Negai" to use another revision of the MMC3 chip.
* NST_ASSERT() macro bug on platforms other than Win32.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
crocomire
Hazed

Post by crocomire »

Jipcy wrote:
Nestopia Home Page wrote:Feb 3 2006

Version 1.26 is out. Here are the changes:

Windows Fixes:

* Crash on start in 98/ME.
Great! :D
THE LAST METROID IS IN CAPTIVITY.
THE GALAXY IS AT PEACE...