Nestopia 1.39

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Neo Kaiser wrote:There is a graphical bug on Mega Man 3 that is visible on the selection screen. I'll try to summit this.
If you're referring to the graphical bug above Shadow Man, that is visible on a real NES.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

xamenus wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:There is a graphical bug on Mega Man 3 that is visible on the selection screen. I'll try to summit this.
If you're referring to the graphical bug above Shadow Man, that is visible on a real NES.
I don't remember that bug... It is on both PAL and NTSC?
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Neo Kaiser wrote:
xamenus wrote:
I don't remember that bug... It is on both PAL and NTSC?
http://nesdevwiki.ath.cx/index.php/Game_Bugs

I don't know about the PAL version, never played it. And to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been dumped yet, so I can't test it on Nestopia.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Does anyone get a slight decrease in framerate with FDS games when the emulation rewinder is enabled? When I enable the rewinder, FDS games run at about 58 FPS on average, but when I disable it, they run at 60 FPS. NES games don't appear to have this problem. This is on my Pentium M 1.86 Ghz laptop.

I'll check on a desktop computer later.

Edit: Finally got to test on a desktop computer (Pentium 4 2.2Ghz) and it has the same problem, except games run at about 59 FPS on average with it.
xain

Post by xain »

Marty wrote:
Also, whenever I go to close out a game that uses in-game saves, I get the error message "couldn't save image data".
Seems like the CreateFile(...) WinAPI function refuses to cope. As others have suggested, check your file & directory attributes and make sure that the save directory declared in menu->options->paths really exist.

ive had the "couldn't save image data" problem, i dont have that any more, but i cant get my games to save at all. been testing it out with zelda: the adventure of link, i lose all my lives purposely just to click on save, click save, it goes back to the title screen then i close the program, reload the program and the game but theres no saved file. any idea?
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

You know you can just pause and press Up+A on the second controller to force the save screen, right? Or is that from the status screen? Hmm...
xain

Post by xain »

but what would i do to get it to save when i actually hit save and exit the program?
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

You registered on the ZSNES board in order to get support for Nestopia? How do you people find this thread? Is it really that prevalent on Google?

Now to actually answer your question, maybe your save directory is marked read-only?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Last I checked, there is a Nestopia board... after all.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
xain

Post by xain »

well it does say read only, but like the others i unmark it and it just goes back to bein marked, oh well, dont wanna fuss over it, i know some have described nestopia as the best emulator, but personally it doesnt compare to nesticle.

thx for all the help :)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Does the folder happen to be in a CD/DVD drive? If yes, stop trying to point to the CD/DVD drive.
xain wrote:well it does say read only, but like the others i unmark it and it just goes back to bein marked, oh well, dont wanna fuss over it, i know some have described nestopia as the best emulator, but personally it doesnt compare to nesticle.
Now comparing Nesticle to Nestopia.. someone must be smoking Wiid. IIRC, Nesticle requires special Nesticle-specific hacks to get games working correctly. That's definately NOT the way to go for other NES emulators in the first place. Also, it isn't even being updated anymore.... this comment sounds totally and completely dumb by itself.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

He is correct. There is no comparing it to nesticle. It's such an antique, there's no point comparing it to anything anymore. Just another piece of history. It was a fine example of being fast, but now that most people aren't running 486 or 586 computers, that speed at the expense of severe inaccuracy is no longer a major concern.

Well, until you start writing emulators for severely limited devices such as PDAs, cellular phones, and other game systems. Then it's kind of handy, I guess.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

xain wrote: i know some have described nestopia as the best emulator, but personally it doesnt compare to nesticle.
I take it you prefer AOL too?
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Version 1.33 was also released. http://nestopia.sourceforge.net/
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

All I can say is - WOW! My favorite emulator is now much better :)
Been waiting 2 months for this release.

Finally: Low latency input,HQ4X,the speed throttling fixed,screen curves!, NTSC filter works with custom palettes. Great stuff,just no new mappers this time.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

kick wrote:Finally: Low latency input,HQ4X,the speed throttling fixed,screen curves!, NTSC filter works with custom palettes. Great stuff,just no new mappers this time.
Mmmmm.. this release still seems a little buggy.

1) HQ3x for some reason causes the the emulator to run this game slower. It makes the emulator run @ 40fps.
2) HQ4x for some reason requires me to disable the default timing (and set it to 60). The input became completely very unresponsive with the default timing.

This needed more testing.
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

That screen curve option is making my eyes bugger out. Who in the world could stand this, let alone prefer it? Bloat.
www.zapatabase.com
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Deathlike2 wrote:
kick wrote:Finally: Low latency input,HQ4X,the speed throttling fixed,screen curves!, NTSC filter works with custom palettes. Great stuff,just no new mappers this time.

1) HQ3x for some reason causes the the emulator to run this game slower. It makes the emulator run @ 40fps.
2) HQ4x for some reason requires me to disable the default timing (and set it to 60). The input became completely very unresponsive with the default timing.

I will confirm what you just said. Running in fullscreen is much faster than running in a window though.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Confirmed! It will slow down with HQ 2x-4x unless the timing is changed to autoframeskip. Also the NTSC filter have the same problem. Then again I'm still using a Pentium III 800MHz with 256 SDRAM.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Agozer wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

I will confirm what you just said. Running in fullscreen is much faster than running in a window though.
Mmm.. the default timing is not the issue... it just happens to be the HQ3x/4x setting (Auto HQx seems to work as expected though - using a 4x base screen res will use the HQ4x setting)

On the other hand, I agree running Fullscreen is faster (even though I still get the 60fps), but the menu response time was extremely poor while using HQ4x (at least I don't get the input response time while in game). I really don't think running Windowed mode is the issue in this case.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Even the simple filters (talking about the likes of 2XSai et al here) will be much slower in a window than in fullscreen. -_-
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

1.33b released! Input lag issues are fixed.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Yet the HQ3x/4x bugs aren't... unfortunately...
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Since 1.20 till 1.33, rightclick toggles the menu like in ZSNES. Try toggeling the menu a couple of times when a ROM is loaded. It'll make everything quite laggy (even the mouse). I hope this can be fixed because it really bothers me when I need to look for stuff in the menu and go back to the ROM several times.

Also hoping for a 4:3 ratio as I'm using a 19" LCD with native res of 1280x1024 (5:4) also like in ZSNES and MAME.
Marty
Nestopia Developer
Nestopia Developer

Post by Marty »

EMu-LoRd wrote:Since 1.20 till 1.33, rightclick toggles the menu like in ZSNES. Try toggeling the menu a couple of times when a ROM is loaded. It'll make everything quite laggy (even the mouse). I hope this can be fixed because it really bothers me when I need to look for stuff in the menu and go back to the ROM several times.
The device needs to be reset on each dialog mode transition which can be quite slow. There's no way around this. Sorry.
FitzRoy wrote:That screen curve option is making my eyes bugger out. Who in the world could stand this, let alone prefer it? Bloat.
Not many. Just consider it another "fun" and silly feature.
Deathlike2 wrote:Yet the HQ3x/4x bugs aren't... unfortunately...
The reason for the general slowdown compared to older versions is because the CPU and GPU no longer run asynchronously between frames. This will give better input response since it forces the GPU to stay put and not go zippety-do-dah and render things ahead. The cost for it can be quite high though.

Yet, the hq3x/hq4x filters are tremendously slow. Don't forget that this is a cycle-accurate emulator with a dot based renderer and a lot of time still needs to be spent in the emulation loop.

At any rate, you can try open up the video options dialog and change the NES texture memory to reside in system memory instead of video memory and see if that helps.
Deathlike2 wrote:This needed more testing.
Yes, but not many have offered help.