ZSNES is no longer in active development.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: ZSNES is not dead - Still in development

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

We kind of suspected you don't expect a new version. I mean, it's not like you made a dozen posts IN THIS THREAD mocking the idea of a future release or anything, but we had a niggling feeling you felt that way.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:We kind of suspected you don't expect a new version. I mean, it's not like you made a dozen posts IN THIS THREAD mocking the idea of a future release or anything, but we had a niggling feeling you felt that way.
Who me, mocking the idea or very potential of a future release? Surely, you jest! I'll just wait around till 2020, maybe we'll see a version 2.0 by then. I might just use Higan for shits and giggles.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

nintendo_nerd wrote:Cx4 (...) emulation is also effed up too
hahahaha what the fuck are you saying

it was rhetoric shut up i don't care

nintendo_nerd wrote:Well, that would explain it. Now I know for sure. I sincerely hope one day Zsnes uses more modern sound emulation, but I've given up hope on ever seeing a new version, esp. after what, seven years since 1.51...? 8) Thanks for the explanation.
Nice to see how much you don't care, since I explained the same thing to you years ago already, along with the fact that we were the first to work with blargg's core (and that it was pretty sweet). ¬_¬

Now, since you keep misunderstanding everything, would you kindly get the fuck out of here, dear mr entitled.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

grinvader wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:Cx4 (...) emulation is also effed up too
hahahaha what the fuck are you saying

it was rhetoric shut up i don't care

nintendo_nerd wrote:Well, that would explain it. Now I know for sure. I sincerely hope one day Zsnes uses more modern sound emulation, but I've given up hope on ever seeing a new version, esp. after what, seven years since 1.51...? 8) Thanks for the explanation.
Nice to see how much you don't care, since I explained the same thing to you years ago already, along with the fact that we were the first to work with blargg's core (and that it was pretty sweet). ¬_¬

Now, since you keep misunderstanding everything, would you kindly get the fuck out of here, dear mr entitled.

What's there to be misunderstood? I know you explained that, I know, but that doesn't change a damn thing.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I don't consider nintendo_nerd "entitled" at all. He's just skeptical that a new version of ZSNES will ever be released, and many others are as well including myself to some extent. He's moved on to 9x like me, so it's simple skepticism rather than a sense of entitlement. I don't know the history of either of your beefs OR what if anything has been going on regarding ZSNES development. However, to a layman like myself, it appears that we're being taken for a ride when it comes to a new version of ZSNES ever being released. I really hope we see a new version in the next 3-4 years, but I have absolutely no idea what work is being done, and many people are losing hope because it's been such a long time since the last release.

I'm perfectly happy with 9x, and I believe nerd is as well, so it's not like we're begging for a new version. From a layman's perspective, I understand his criticisms.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:I don't consider nintendo_nerd "entitled" at all.
nintendo_nerd has a long and proud history with us.

But there's a difference between being skeptical and coming in solely to flame about the lack of updates. Repeatedly.

I have doubts about ZSNES2 as well. Sorry grin.
You don't see me laughing about the lack of new release every few months.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

I remember trying to get Final Fantasy V, to run on my Mother's Compaq intel 386SX!!!!! LOL
it was SLOOWWWW..... that was between 1993 and 1996 probably i don;t remember when exactly but it was way back then... ;^^_^;
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I have doubts about ZSNES2 as well. Sorry grin.
Hey, I'm a man who appreciates honesty. The way you put it almost cheers me up. Thanks for that.

@Yuber: he's entitled because he's whining about the lack of work. It's not dead, but we still have to eat, although the real reason is closer to keeping enough sanity to sustain the job that keeps the food inbound. I won't speak for others, but I'm more pissed about not being able to work on it than he ever could be.
Hoping 2014 won't be as crappy as 2013 was in that regard, because you can pretty much notch another year if that's the case. -_-
joe_devore wrote:that was between 1993 and 1996 probably i don;t remember when exactly but it was way back then... ;^^_^;
esnes ? nlksnes ? snes96 ? vsmc (lol) ? zsnes wasn't around until late 97.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

grinvader wrote:nlksnes ?
nerlaska was awesome on a slow computer.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

NN is actually a really nice guy from the conversations I've had with him, but I think he's just really frustrated because he feels like he's being lied to about a new version being worked on. I'm skeptical too, but I also don't know the history of this forum or ZSNES' development like older members do. You devs may take this as an insult, but I've moved on to 9x permanently with the assumption that a new version of ZSNES will never be released. I won't beat around the bush anymore either. I support 9x so strongly because even if 1.54 NEVER materializes, it's accurate enough to satisfy me although it's not flawless. ZSNES 1.51 feels very primitive compared to 9x 1.53.

If I'm proven wrong however, that'd be pretty sweet. Do you guys think you could(hypothetically) surpass 9x in terms of accuracy while at the same time keeping it as fast or maybe even faster than 9x 1.53?
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

...most of us use snes9x or higan.

and nintendo_nerd has an extended history across several accounts of being a general pain in the ass, and ranges from quite pleasant to barely tolerable. hopefully he stays more on the pleasant side, but reappearing with flamebait comments doesn't make that too terribly likely.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:...most of us use snes9x or higan.

and nintendo_nerd has an extended history across several accounts of being a general pain in the ass, and ranges from quite pleasant to barely tolerable. hopefully he stays more on the pleasant side, but reappearing with flamebait comments doesn't make that too terribly likely.
Well, I think mostly civil with the occasional "LOL ZSNES2 NEVER HAPPEN FAGGOT" is lightyears better than the old days.

"hey, guys, can I plug my PC into a TV without them both exploding? Yes? Are you sure? REALLY sure? I'm going to keep asking for two months without ever doing anything, even though everyone everywhere says it's just fine. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure I can plug my PC into a TV? If I do exactly what the TV manual says to do, will it work okay? Are you TOTALLY sure the manual instructions are safe?".
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yuber wrote:NN is actually a really nice guy from the conversations I've had with him, but I think he's just really frustrated because he feels like he's being lied to about a new version being worked on. I'm skeptical too, but I also don't know the history of this forum or ZSNES' development like older members do. You devs may take this as an insult, but I've moved on to 9x permanently with the assumption that a new version of ZSNES will never be released. I won't beat around the bush anymore either. I support 9x so strongly because even if 1.54 NEVER materializes, it's accurate enough to satisfy me although it's not flawless. ZSNES 1.51 feels very primitive compared to 9x 1.53.

If I'm proven wrong however, that'd be pretty sweet. Do you guys think you could(hypothetically) surpass 9x in terms of accuracy while at the same time keeping it as fast or maybe even faster than 9x 1.53?
Well, I mean granted, I wasn't in the right at all to do what I did and incessantly flame this or any other thread demanding to know the existence of Zsnes 2.0 and like you, I have moved on to Snes9x which is far superior. Could have I been more civil about it? For sure, and I would have been better off had I done so. Nevertheless, I'm glad that we have so many cool things in common :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
odditude wrote:...most of us use snes9x or higan.

Fair enough, won't refute that fact at all because it's true :mrgreen:
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

grinvader wrote:
joe_devore wrote:that was between 1993 and 1996 probably i don;t remember when exactly but it was way back then... ;^^_^;
esnes ? nlksnes ? snes96 ? vsmc (lol) ? zsnes wasn't around until late 97.
nope with out a boubt it was ZSNES ;^_^.. ohh '97.... maybe it was then it was sooooooo long ago remember exact times can be hard...
np I still Love ZSNES its:

1) UNIQUE GUI ;^_^ :shock: :wink: 8) :D :D :D :D
2) RUNS soooo fast it never eats up my CPU/GPU and is good enough I only see emu glitches once in a while
-- though right now its FF3/6(US), in battle visual artifacts when doing character intros/split-scenes
-- ASM runs lightning fast just a nightmare to code in loi ;(

Grin Thx ;^_^; for all you and the other dev's have done writing/coding ZSNES, I and so many others have been able to re-live the good old days, plus experience Fan-Translations of games that never made in to English thx ;;^_^;;
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

@NN: Yeah man, we have nearly identical views when it comes to the gaming industry in general, but you're much more tech-savvy than I am. I can be pretty inflammatory at times too, but my temper usually flares up in person rather than online.(unfortunately) I post passionate opinions online, but I don't get pissed off online like I do when someone disrespects me in person.

Because I mostly play JRPGs, it was immediately obvious when I switched that 9x's sound was VASTLY superior. Lavos' scream in CT as well as other monster sounds are dead on in 9x, while in ZSNES, monster sounds are a bunch of bleeps and bloops much of the time; the timing's off. In ZSNES, lavos' scream kinda sounds like a VERY pissed off Louis Armstrong.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yuber wrote:@NN: Yeah man, we have nearly identical views when it comes to the gaming industry in general, but you're much more tech-savvy than I am. I can be pretty inflammatory at times too, but my temper usually flares up in person rather than online.(unfortunately) I post passionate opinions online, but I don't get pissed off online like I do when someone disrespects me in person.

Because I mostly play JRPGs, it was immediately obvious when I switched that 9x's sound was VASTLY superior. Lavos' scream in CT as well as other monster sounds are dead on in 9x, while in ZSNES, monster sounds are a bunch of bleeps and bloops much of the time; the timing's off. In ZSNES, lavos' scream kinda sounds like a VERY pissed off Louis Armstrong.
Oh, I don't know about being THAT tech savvy :lol: And I lol'd at the Satchmo reference :lol: Granted, I do have fond memories as Zsnes was the first Snes emulator I remember that actually ran very well and had interpolated audio back when I was introduced to it in 1998. I was only around fourteen or so at the time and I remember playing Final Fantasy IV, but even before Zsnes, I tried Snes96 and the first Snes ROM I saw running was Final Fantasy VI, but this was on a Pentium I 233 MHz CPU and the music was slow as hell. Then came along Zsnes, written entirely in ASM and ran as smooth as butter on a Pentium I CPU, I was blown away. Funny how memories seem to pop up like that :mrgreen: Snes was my first console, but that began back in 1993, so yeah, it's been a favorite of mine for twenty years 8) :mrgreen:
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

Yuber wrote:@NN: Yeah man, we have nearly identical views when it comes to the gaming industry in general, but you're much more tech-savvy than I am. I can be pretty inflammatory at times too, but my temper usually flares up in person rather than online.(unfortunately) I post passionate opinions online, but I don't get pissed off online like I do when someone disrespects me in person.

ooh... :( I'll look for that next time... sound cracks and popping sounds... sounds familiar....

The audio in v1.52 wasn't working at all if I remember correctly the Dev's were working on an audio core rewrite...
it was dumping to some wav file that was not a wave file as far as media players complained....
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

joe_devore wrote:

ooh... :( I'll look for that next time... sound cracks and popping sounds... sounds familiar....

The audio in v1.52 wasn't working at all if I remember correctly the Dev's were working on an audio core rewrite...
it was dumping to some wav file that was not a wave file as far as media players complained....
1.52 was the S-SMP core rewrite, 1.53 has all those bugs neutralized, and to remove the audio crackling, using the XAudio2 API (Windows Vista and above) or DirectSound (Windows XP) with a buffer size of 128, 140, or 160 ms will do the trick :mrgreen: I highly recommend giving it a try to see how ya like it :mrgreen: Maybe you used a WIP/Git version before it was complete...? Anyways, here's the download for the Windows port http://files.ipherswipsite.com/snes9x/s ... -win32.zip Enjoy!
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Yeah, switching from 9x's directsound to XAudio2 solved the audio crackling problems for the most part. I keep the buffer length set at 64ms, although it's probably a good idea to lengthen it in games like SD3 that use hi-res mode. I usually don't even fuck with it because enabling hi-res mode doesn't make too much of a difference. There's plenty of audio crackling in ZSNES too. With 9x in XAudio2 mode, ZSNES 1.51 actually has more of an issue with audio cracking than 9x 1.53. For example, when Crono or Magus casts Lightning2 in CT, I get lots of crackling in ZSNES but none in 9x. The SFX are also incredibly inaccurate in ZSNES for that spell and many others. Lightning2 in ZSNES 1.51 sounds like a chimp screeching. In 9x, it's dead on.

This may be too low a setting(may affect the pitch; who cares), but my input rate in 9x is set to 31800. That combined with using the XA2 sound driver eliminates like 99% of the crackling. Even if my settings DO change the pitch, I've got a real SNES with FF4, 6, CT and many of my other favorite SNES games in the same room. If it's a slightly different pitch than the real deal, it's not severe enough for me to immediately notice.

I'm even long-winded when I talk about basic sound settings :lol:
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yuber wrote:Yeah, switching from 9x's directsound to XAudio2 solved the audio crackling problems for the most part. I keep the buffer length set at 64ms, although it's probably a good idea to lengthen it in games like SD3 that use hi-res mode. I usually don't even fuck with it because enabling hi-res mode doesn't make too much of a difference. There's plenty of audio crackling in ZSNES too. With 9x in XAudio2 mode, ZSNES 1.51 actually has more of an issue with audio cracking than 9x 1.53. For example, when Crono or Magus casts Lightning2 in CT, I get lots of crackling in ZSNES but none in 9x. The SFX are also incredibly inaccurate in ZSNES for that spell and many others. Lightning2 in ZSNES 1.51 sounds like a chimp screeching. In 9x, it's dead on.

This may be too low a setting(may affect the pitch; who cares), but my input rate in 9x is set to 31800. That combined with using the XA2 sound driver eliminates like 99% of the crackling. Even if my settings DO change the pitch, I've got a real SNES with FF4, 6, CT and many of my other favorite SNES games in the same room. If it's a slightly different pitch than the real deal, it's not severe enough for me to immediately notice.

I'm even long-winded when I talk about basic sound settings :lol:

Eh, no worries. I keep mine at 31915 Hz, which the magic number I discovered when I was helping dborth as he ported Snes9x 1.52 to the Wii, it had a lot of crackling, but after many people confirmed it to be the magic number, I decided to try it with the PC port. Two different platforms, sure, but it works wonders, and I don't even have a discrete sound card; it's one of them Realtek 5.1 cards. No need to upgrade since it works fine :mrgreen: To sum up

XAudio2
31915 Hz
144 or 160 ms buffer latency

But YMMV :wink: I was looking at the options, who in their right mind would disable "synchronize with sound core"? :lol:
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Yeah, and of course "synchronize with sound core" is enabled by default. Unfortunately, so is 9x's Directsound plugin which cracks quite a bit. I tried turning sound synch off once just to see what it sounded like and HOLY SHIT. There was so much audio crackling that it sounded like someone constantly farting in a microphone with SNES music playing in the background :lol: Thanks for giving me your audio settings man. I've heard similar stories about the Wii port of 9x, but it was never a "magic number"; it was a range of numbers. I'll give 31915 a shot, but I'm reluctant to increase the buffer length because 64ms works well for me. I'll give your exact settings a shot, though. I substitute disabling hi-res mode for lengthening the buffer, because the vast majority of SNES games don't need it. SoM & SD3 do though.(not required but highly recommended)

If a new 9x eventually comes out, audio crackling is the only problem I'd love to see get completely fixed. Using OpenGL mode DOES solve it 100%, but I get screen tearing and stuttering even with triple buffering and/or vsync enabled. There's so little crackling with the XAudio2 plugin though that I don't even notice it. VERY bass-heavy games like SF2 & SF2 Turbo crack noticeably, but they crack just as noticeably in ZSNES too.

As far as the GUI is concerned, ZSNES certainly has a unique one, but I prefer 9x's because I can navigate it faster. ZSNES' does have that classic look, but I feel that 9x's GUI is more functional. Substance over style, plus 9x has many more options. I really dig the shader support.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yuber wrote:Yeah, and of course "synchronize with sound core" is enabled by default. Unfortunately, so is 9x's Directsound plugin which cracks quite a bit. I tried turning sound synch off once just to see what it sounded like and HOLY SHIT. There was so much audio crackling that it sounded like someone constantly farting in a microphone with SNES music playing in the background :lol: Thanks for giving me your audio settings man. I've heard similar stories about the Wii port of 9x, but it was never a "magic number"; it was a range of numbers. I'll give 31915 a shot, but I'm reluctant to increase the buffer length because 64ms works well for me. I'll give your exact settings a shot, though. I substitute disabling hi-res mode for lengthening the buffer, because the vast majority of SNES games don't need it. SoM & SD3 do though.(not required but highly recommended)

If a new 9x eventually comes out, audio crackling is the only problem I'd love to see get completely fixed. Using OpenGL mode DOES solve it 100%, but I get screen tearing and stuttering even with triple buffering and/or vsync enabled. There's so little crackling with the XAudio2 plugin though that I don't even notice it. VERY bass-heavy games like SF2 & SF2 Turbo crack noticeably, but they crack just as noticeably in ZSNES too.

As far as the GUI is concerned, ZSNES certainly has a unique one, but I prefer 9x's because I can navigate it faster. ZSNES' does have that classic look, but I feel that 9x's GUI is more functional. Substance over style, plus 9x has many more options. I really dig the shader support.

Hey, glad I can help people get the most outta emulators :mrgreen: Snes9x Next on the Wii is far superior to Snes9xGx solely based on the fact it uses better audio code when you open/close the emulator menu (in this case, RetroArch Wii) as well as no use of frame skipping whatsoever, and yet, games like Star Fox and Star Fox 2 run at full speed without any audio stutter whatsoever. Yeah, Squarepusher did one helluva job porting it. Even games like Yoshi's Island, which had framerate issues on GX, don't on Snes9x Next, like at all :mrgreen: The major audio flaw Snes9xGx had was some libogc (the library Wii homebrew uses) is the audio would get a weird tinny audio glitch when you open/close the menu, I believe the interpolation used was something odd like Hermite but the emulator itself used Gaussian.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Nintendo nerd I'm pretty sure yuber has some weird driver or software configuration issue because he's mentioned audio crackling for months at least. Also its "just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.".
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Hmm.. I'll ask if he's ever considered running Snes9x 1.53 through RetroArch on the PC. Never had any audio issues on there and I don't even have to configure the sound API or the buffer settings :mrgreen: Sure, the GUI takes some getting used to, but once people get used to it, it's actually very well designed.
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
joe_devore wrote:

1.52 was the S-SMP core rewrite, 1.53 has all those bugs neutralized, and to remove the audio crackling, using the XAudio2 API (Windows Vista and above) or DirectSound (Windows XP) with a buffer size of 128, 140, or 160 ms will do the trick :mrgreen: I highly recommend giving it a try to see how ya like it :mrgreen: Maybe you used a WIP/Git version before it was complete...? Anyways, here's the download for the Windows port http://files.ipherswipsite.com/snes9x/s ... -win32.zip Enjoy!
loi..... I wasn't talking about snes9x...
I was referring to the last version of ZSNES before the GUI changes..
ZSNES (v1.52)(SVN-Info__r4838__jbo__8-39-08 PM, Thursday, March 01, 2007__)