Nintendo 64 (and SNES) output issue with new TV

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

franpa wrote:Yea i now understand. i asked my dad about it and yea, for a low resolution image the TV used to guess the colour of the dots not included in the output. so the image is stretched and any spaces between the pixels are filled in based on surrounding pixels. (sounds like upscaling but it isn't)
The electron beam moves from left to right and hits all phosphor on that line. The input signal controls the "color" of the electron beam.

You can display 1 "pixel" per line by not changing the "color".
You can display 2 "pixels" per line by changing the "color" 2 times per line.
You can display 3 "pixels" per line by changing the "color" 3 times per line.
You can display 4 "pixels" per line by changing the "color" 4 times per line.
You can display 5 "pixels" per line by changing the "color" 5 times per line.
You can display 1279 "pixels" per line by changing the "color" 1279 times per line.
You can display 1280 "pixels" per line by changing the "color" 1280 times per line.

There is no guessing involved.
Last edited by creaothceann on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

franpa wrote:Yea i now understand. i asked my dad about it and yea, for a low resolution image the TV used to guess the colour of the dots not included in the output. so the image is stretched and any spaces between the pixels are filled in based on surrounding pixels. (sounds like upscaling but it isn't)
That still sounds as if you think there is some sort of programming involved in the dots themselves. There isn't. It's just a static grid of fluorescent material, which the electron cannon fires lines onto.

BTW, you haven't answered my other question: have you tried switching out the N64's expansion pack with the jumper pack?
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

yea i did try that only because i now get no picture/sound at all from the console o_O... the xbox 360 works fine on the same tv connectors. i guess the console was impaired and now it is damaged beyond use.

upscaling stretches the image but calculates what to fill in the blanks with.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Analog stretch is upscaling if that's the only way to make you shut up.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

• Resolution = number of distinct pixels or dots, i.e. the detail level.
  • Upscaling = increasing the resolution (number of pixels) and calculating the gaps. The transition from one pixel to the next becomes blurry.
  • Analog stretch = resolution (number of dots aka level of detail) remains the same, but the dots cover more area. There are no new gaps between them, so nothing needs to be calculated. The transition from one dot to the next remains sharp.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

thats what i meant. i suck bad at explaining things.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

because you don't understand it
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Yep, i tested it along side another console and they both played with the same crappy frame rates... i believe the games are optimized for 50FPS where the extra 25FPS are improvised by the TV and new TV's simply don't do that anymore so you see only 25 frames... so basically your playing it with a frameskip of 1.