Snes9x v1.51 release

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Snes9x v1.51 release

Post by Nach »

It's been released.
You can read about it here: http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=756
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Jipcy »

Super sweet.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

BRILLIANT !
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

and officially ported to windows, giddieyup
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Panzer88 wrote:and officially ported to windows, giddieyup
no, the port for windows was officially updated.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
DeathRPG

Post by DeathRPG »

NICE!!!!
But's not like they're going to fix the issue on the *nix port that doesn't allow you to get full screen unless you're root, do they? :S
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There probably is a legitimate reason for that. Not everything is given to an app to allow you to do fullscreen to begin with (and even that "fullscreen" is not real, but just a facsimile).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

franpa wrote:
maybe it's just too early in the morning, but how is that different from what I said, we both said that it was ported to windows officially, the only reason this holds any significance to me is because it WASN'T last time, so are you trying to say it WASN'T officially ported? I'm a bit confused.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Panzer88 wrote:
franpa wrote:
maybe it's just too early in the morning, but how is that different from what I said, we both said that it was ported to windows officially, the only reason this holds any significance to me is because it WASN'T last time, so are you trying to say it WASN'T officially ported? I'm a bit confused.
Believe it or not, franpa does have it correct. The Windows port had no maintainer for a bit, and thus was not updated with the 1.50 release.

The DOS port in Snes9x still exists (well, the code), but with noone to maintain that port, there were no further updates.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Deathlike2 wrote: The DOS port in Snes9x still exists (well, the code), but with noone to maintain that port, there were no further updates.
I actually made some updates to it for v1.51, but I didn't even bother to check if it compiled or anything.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by ShadowFX »

Is there a way to maintain a 4:3 ratio on a 5:4 monitor in this new version? Probably not as I couldn't find it in the options and cfg.

Excellent release!
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Don't use Fullscreen, and use the Stretch Image Option. To explicitly tinker with 4:3, edit via the cfg file.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Good job! :o
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Deathlike2 wrote:Don't use Fullscreen
I always use fullscreen, why shouldn't I ?
Deathlike2 wrote:and use the Stretch Image Option. To explicitly tinker with 4:3, edit via the cfg file.
Stretch image is on, and where is this 4:3 function exactly located in the cfg?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

EMu-LoRd wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:Don't use Fullscreen
I always use fullscreen, why shouldn't I ?
It is not currently possible.
Deathlike2 wrote:and use the Stretch Image Option. To explicitly tinker with 4:3, edit via the cfg file.
Stretch image is on, and where is this 4:3 function exactly located in the cfg?
There isn't one, you have to define the specific Window parameters to get the desired ratio.
byuu

Post by byuu »

EMu-LoRd wrote:Is there a way to maintain a 4:3 ratio on a 5:4 monitor in this new version? Probably not as I couldn't find it in the options and cfg.
Are you sure your monitor pixels are non-square? If it's a LCD display, the most likely are. If it's a CRT, then for god's sake, switch to 1280x960 :)
1280x1024 is horrible. This obviously won't help you on LCD since the pixel size is fixed. But all LCD's I've ever seen have had square pixels, regardless of screen size. I wouldn't at all be surprised if this was not the case on some models.

I've been thinking, the real solution is to not adjust aspect based on monitor resolution, but request the user to specify the size of a pixel (w vs h). If it varies on CRT, well, they'll have to keep changing the setting along with resolution.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:
franpa wrote:
Believe it or not, franpa does have it correct. The Windows port had no maintainer for a bit, and thus was not updated with the 1.50 release.

The DOS port in Snes9x still exists (well, the code), but with noone to maintain that port, there were no further updates.
I'm fully aware of this, you missed what I am saying, I've BEEN saying exactly what you guys are.

I'm entirely aware that 1.50 was not ported to windows, hence why I specifically mentioned that there was a windows port this time, with 1.51. If 1.50 had been updated for windows like all the others it would have been kind of pointless and redundant to mention that there was a windows port for 1.51.

There was talk of Snes9x not updating in Windows anymore but thankfully those dark days are over.
Last edited by Panzer88 on Tue May 01, 2007 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

byuu wrote:Are you sure your monitor pixels are non-square? If it's a LCD display, the most likely are. If it's a CRT, then for god's sake, switch to 1280x960 :)
1280x1024 is horrible. This obviously won't help you on LCD since the pixel size is fixed. But all LCD's I've ever seen have had square pixels, regardless of screen size. I wouldn't at all be surprised if this was not the case on some models.

I've been thinking, the real solution is to not adjust aspect based on monitor resolution, but request the user to specify the size of a pixel (w vs h). If it varies on CRT, well, they'll have to keep changing the setting along with resolution.
LCD TV 19" here, therefore it's the 5:4 aspect. I'm actually looking for a generic solution to have all 'fullscreen' programs run in 4:3 instead of vertical stretched image which annoyes the crap out of me for years. Oh, and my video card is NVIDIA so I was hoping its drivers could provide me with such an option. At this point, I'm lucky that ZSNES supports actual forcing of 4:3 on my 1280x1024 (native) resolution.
byuu

Post by byuu »

LCD TV 19" here, therefore it's the 5:4 aspect.
Yes, but you've actually verified this? Eg by looking at circles and squares and such? I've noticed that the LCD monitor's I've seen at 1280x1024 are actually taller than a strict 4:3, inch for inch, when compared to identical-sized, 1024x768 monitors (which obviously just have bigger pixels). I didn't break out measuring tape or anything, though.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Panzer88 wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:
franpa wrote:

I'm fully aware of this, you missed what I am saying, I've BEEN saying exactly what you guys are.

I'm entirely aware that 1.50 was not ported to windows, hence why I specifically mentioned that there was a windows port this time, with 1.51. If 1.50 had been updated for windows like all the others it would have been kind of pointless and redundant to mention that there was a windows port for 1.51.

There was talk of Snes9x not updating in Windows anymore but thankfully those dark days are over.
SNES9x for windows is a name, SNES9x v1.51 for windows is a version of the product named SNES9x for windows, SNES9x was ported eons ago to windows and has been updated a fair bit and recently afgain it has been updated. they cant port whats already ported can they?
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

of course it was ported eons ago, but when they updated to 1.50 a few months ago that had fundamentally changed the core, due to this, they said that it would take a significant amount of work to update the windows version, so it was left behind.

I feared that worst, that it would stay this way indefinitely, or at least for a long time, so I was delightfully surprised with this update out of the blue, also with an updated windows core, it has been QUITE some time since the windows port has been updated, since 1.43 actually.

does that clear it up? or do you want some sources?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Panzer88 wrote:of course it was ported eons ago, but when they updated to 1.50 a few months ago that had fundamentally changed the core, due to this, they said that it would take a significant amount of work to update the windows version, so it was left behind.

I feared that worst, that it would stay this way indefinitely, or at least for a long time, so I was delightfully surprised with this update out of the blue, also with an updated windows core, it has been QUITE some time since the windows port has been updated, since 1.43 actually.

does that clear it up? or do you want some sources?
you said they ported SNES9x v1.51 to windows, this is wrong, all they did was UPDATE the windows port.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

both of you shut up
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

byuu wrote:
LCD TV 19" here, therefore it's the 5:4 aspect.
Yes, but you've actually verified this? Eg by looking at circles and squares and such? I've noticed that the LCD monitor's I've seen at 1280x1024 are actually taller than a strict 4:3, inch for inch, when compared to identical-sized, 1024x768 monitors (which obviously just have bigger pixels). I didn't break out measuring tape or anything, though.
I have verified this since back in 2003. Circles are vertical stretched ovals on my screen if there isn't any force 4:3 option available. The 1280x1024 resolution only applies for 19" LCD screens. It's nearly impossible to ask every author to include such an option, so I have to find something generic that applies to all. Sorry to be offtopic here.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Panzer88 wrote:I feared that worst, that it would stay this way indefinitely, or at least for a long time, so I was delightfully surprised with this update out of the blue, also with an updated windows core, it has been QUITE some time since the windows port has been updated, since 1.43 actually.
thanks to nitsuja for updating the windows port in the first place ;)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.