Which controller do you reccomend?

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Valatros

Which controller do you reccomend?

Post by Valatros »

Note: ugh, i typed this thing up and realized i was wordy as heck explaining things. sorry, bad habit. summarized version at the bottom.

My friend and i just started using ZSNES, and its our first time playing anything beyond an MMO on the computer(yes, sad, i know). Now that we're playing games so much on the computer though, we wanna invest in a special controller of some sort, because some games are just plain awkward on a keyboard. We're hoping for something along the lines of a playstation 2 controller(or heck, EXACTLY a playstation 2 controller that plugs into a computer) but we don't really know where to start looking, especially since there's compatibility to think about. I was wondering if anyone had some good reccomendations? something that would at least hold like a playstation controller and with a decent cord length as well, and have plenty of buttons to assign?

Summaried Version
Does anyone have any reccomendations on a good, well-compatible controller for the computer that holds like a playstation controller but has plenty of buttons to assign, so it'd work for more then just the 8 buttons that the SNES controller had?

-Thanks in advance,

Valatros

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if anyone can verify that we'll be able to use the controllers as one for player one, one for player two, that'd be appreciated as well. Zombies ate my neighbors just aint as fun alone. Thanks again!
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

Get a PS2-USB converter and a PS2 controller.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

DOLLS wrote:Get a PS2-USB converter and a PS2 controller.
I have to agree with this recommendation.

Wal-Mart has a cool one for $10.00 that has PS, XBOX and GC ports and a built in 2 port USB hub as well. So far its worked great for me.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

If you have big hands, and have some electronics experience, I'd suggest modding your XBox controller for use on your PC (or buy a XBox -> USB converter as SquareHead suggessted)

PS2 -> USB adapters are nice too, just stay away from the adapters at Radio Shack (especially the adapter with blue on the sides and a green power light, I had this model go out on me after four days of operation)

Nyko Airflos are good as well

Saitek P880 controllers are awesome too
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote:If you have big hands, and have some electronics experience, I'd suggest modding your XBox controller for use on your PC (or buy a XBox -> USB converter as SquareHead suggessted)
Yeah. I use the S pad. Hacked an extension cord.

Electronics experience is optional, IMO. Given it's just a straight wire-wire splice.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

I've actually found that my PS2 adapter from Radio Shack worked really well, no problems whatsoever. It's not the same model AOL was referring to, though... mine's just a simple black cable. Highly reccomended.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Electronics experience is optional, IMO. Given it's just a straight wire-wire splice.
True, but would the average joe know how to do a wire splice? :P also I said some electronics experience, you didn't need to be a ubernerd to do it

PS: Gil, the S pad is the pad with those black and white buttons, correct? cos if so, I've got one.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Electronics experience is optional, IMO. Given it's just a straight wire-wire splice.
True, but would the average joe know how to do a wire splice? :P also I said some electronics experience, you didn't need to be a ubernerd to do it

PS: Gil, the S pad is the pad with those black and white buttons, correct? cos if so, I've got one.
Both pads have B&W buttons.

The S has them below the button diamond, and start+select by the d-pad.

The original has them above the button diamond, and start and select in the conventional location
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

OK, then yeah I have the S brand controller.

I forgot, but can an original XBox controller (or perhaps a 3rd party knockoff) controller still be spliced to work with the PC?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote:OK, then yeah I have the S brand controller.

I forgot, but can an original XBox controller (or perhaps a 3rd party knockoff) controller still be spliced to work with the PC?
That depends... do the other controllers work exactly the same way?

Think about it for a second.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:OK, then yeah I have the S brand controller.

That depends... do the other controllers work exactly the same way?

Think about it for a second.
This is AOL. Think about it for a second longer. :P
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...