Help! My DVD burner pwned a dvd+r!!

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Snark
Trooper

Help! My DVD burner pwned a dvd+r!!

Post by Snark »

FUCK!!!

....Basically I continued a multi session DVD but the session/burn failed and now the DVD can't seem to be read/recognized ("please enter a disk into drive X" error)

And yes, I realise that multiple muti-sessions burns is not without risk (I've had muti-sessions burns crap on me in the past.) which is why I usually temporarily back up all the data on the HD. But I've neglected to this time...

In theory, all the previous sessions that were burned correctly should still be intact...so why can it not even access those sessions?

For the record, the data was all MP3s, some of which that can no longer be found.

Is there any way to recover the data with programs like Alcohol120/60 or isobuster or some apps like that?
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

I do believe IsoBuster can recover files from DVDs in the free-ware mode, but don't quote me on that. A120% does not have any recovery options, and if that doesn't have it, A52% will neither. As far as another app, I know nothing more than IsoBuster.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

This seems to work pretty well with almost everything. It's not free though, but there's a trial version that lets you preview files it finds, so you can at least see if it works. There's several different recovery modes.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Yeah, try IsoBuster. I should do the trick.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

blackmyst wrote:This seems to work pretty well with almost everything. It's not free though, but there's a trial version that lets you preview files it finds, so you can at least see if it works. There's several different recovery modes.
Well, I tried another drive and it read all the old sessions fine, so yay. I'll keep the badcopy software bookmarked though.

I think the drive is just wearing down...Speaking of which, has anyone ever had a burner which lasted more than 1 year? (or a year and a half). Mine never last more than 18 months it seem, and I don't use them excessively or anything.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

The burner I have is about two to three years old and it still works like a charm. It's a Sony DRU-710A.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform