Open State Netplay

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Little Kaneda

Open State Netplay

Post by Little Kaneda »

My apologies if this has been asked, but I've been searching for awhile.

My friend and I Open State through Netplay and we both receive the loading status, but only he is able to actually see the State, whereas I am still on the screen before I went to Open State.

Any ideas on how to work this?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Tell him to send the state to you. You need to put the state in the appropriate folder though.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Little Kaneda

Post by Little Kaneda »

We both have the State file but we have them in separate folders. Mine is in zsnes/roms/save and his is in a random folder on his computer because he hasn't set a proper path. Should I ask him to make a path not unlike my own?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

ZSNES looks for save files depending on the save directory. If the save directory is not defined, it looks in the same folder the rom is in.

Make sure ZSNES can find it locally, or you will have problems.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Little Kaneda

Post by Little Kaneda »

There are no problems with our saved States offline. They load, and they appear. However when going through Netplay, for the person hosting, it doesn't.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you about "locally", zsnes hasn't any faults when finding the States on either one of our computers.

p.s. (I'd be testing this right now but my friend is offline. I'm just trying to get the best definite solution before he shows up.)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

IIRC, you both aren't supposed to load the savestate at the same time... just one side (the other side will load the current state when netplay continues).

If you are playing a game that has in-game saving, you should take advantage of that instead of using savestates.

Also, try loading the savestates from F2, instead of within the GUI.
Little Kaneda

Post by Little Kaneda »

Yeah I'd definitely want to use the regular saving. It's just that up until recently I had been accidentally using my downloads folder for Saves and they were cleaned one night. Now I just need to Open State so we can save normally.

Wow you just gave me an idea. I could Open State offline and save it normally, then just play that on Netplay! :oops:

Ok, well thanks for helping. I'm still not sure why Open State hasn't worked for us though. It'd be cool if this thread was kept in the Search history; it could help someone that was attempting to search before posting, like I was.

~thanks (will try f2, or actually f4...that's load for me by default)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I meant F4 for loading.. (using those savestate keys are really handy).
Little Kaneda

Post by Little Kaneda »

Ok I finally got the chance to save the game normally at our saved State, and I now have my saved games in order like a good snes player should.

However, I'd like to take a minute to further explain my experience with Open States on Netplay with these simple images I've created:

Alexander_Q

Post by Alexander_Q »

I'm having the same problem with Lost Vikings - state loads at remote computer, but there is no change at host. The things is, it worked yesterday, perfectly and consistently.