Well, shit.

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Well, shit.

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/l ... -treasure/

Now I get to endure ANOTHER round of "ET KILLED GAMING" and "ATARI FILLED A LANDFILL WITH ET BECAUSE IT WAS SO BAD." Like I didn't get enough of this when Seanbaby did his writeup.

Note: the article is wrong from the first sentence. By finding more than ET in the landfill, they DISPROVED the legend, which was that they dumped truckloads of ET AND NOTHING ELSE.

Atari was known to buy back unsold stock and destroy it. There was never any doubt there were Atari games in a landfill.
There was never any doubt ET was among this unsold stock, because when you make more game cartridges than you have systems to date, you're going to have leftovers.

The question was: Did Atari fill a landfill with nothing BUT truckloads of ET. The answer is a resounding no. They filled it with ET and Centipede and posters and catalogs and the Sword of Ultimate Sorcery(spoilers: They didn't actually find the Sword).

</soapbox>
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
blackmyst
Zealot

Re: Well, shit.

Post by blackmyst »

I thought it was already established long ago that there was more than just ET in there.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:I thought it was already established long ago that there was more than just ET in there.
By SANE people, yes.
The urban legend has always been that they buried entire truckloads of ET and nothing but ET. And that this was the only time they ever dumped unsold or returned stock. Neither of THOSE cases are true.

That's why the spotlight is on ET, not ET and Pac-Man and Centipede and Raiders of the Lost Ark and...
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Eh, Idunno. It's just fun. I don't take it very seriously. :p
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I got sick of hearing "ATARI KILLED GAMING WITH ET" after the Seanbaby article. Almost as sick as I was of hearing about Custer's Revenge.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I've heard that myth a million times as well, and while I wasn't even alive at that time, I think people continue to perpetuate that myth because ET is a symbol of the '83 crash. It's human nature to oversimplify complicated situations.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I thought the pit they filled with only ETs was in Nevada, not New Mexico... Although the crash site was there.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54