Is this a good place to ask for details about the SuperFX ?

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Krepax

Is this a good place to ask for details about the SuperFX ?

Post by Krepax »

I hope so! :o

Hi guys,

I'm a longtime retrogamer, having started with to play with emulators almost ten years ago. Finally I've some time to collect also technical data about the vintage gaming hardware. The internet is a wonderful place to look for such things.

However one thing about the SNES has eluded me so far and that is a detailed description of the GSU / GSU-2 (aka SuperFX) chip.

I haven't been able, for example to find a complete list of its assembly instructions or something more about its inner hardware besides some vague description of its principles of operation.

Considering that this chip has been fully emulated for quite some time, can an yone point me to some good, extensive and reliable docs about the chip?

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Moved to a more appropriate forum.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

Look at the US patent for it, and in the second book of the official SNES programming manual.

The biggest things it had going for it was a (manual) internal instruction cache and a very ingenious pixel-bitplane cache.

Another unique feature was that the dithering (checkerboard) pattern could be automatically handled by hardware. Basically you'd tell it to draw a pixel and it would automatically pick one or the other color based on where the pixel was. If one was the transparent color, you'd get 50% translucency.

Too bad the dithering wasn't 4x4, that would have really been something: 16 colors * 15 colors * 16 "intensities" = 3840 "shades" instead of 16 * 15 = 240 "shades".
Krepax

Post by Krepax »

Thanks guys,

The SNES programming manual was missing from my collection. It's really an interesting read.