Important Super Metroid Question! PLEASE READ!

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Post Reply
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil
Posts: 4267
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:14 pm

Important Super Metroid Question! PLEASE READ!

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

So... when Ridley abducts the baby metroid and blows up Ceres Station in the intro stage...
Is Ceres Station named such because it's NEAR Ceres, or because it's built out of/around Ceres?


This is important.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.


KHDownloads
Gonzo
Regular
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:46 am
Location: Tromaville

Re: Important Super Metroid Question! PLEASE READ!

Post by Gonzo »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:So... when Ridley abducts the baby metroid and blows up Ceres Station in the intro stage...
Is Ceres Station named such because it's NEAR Ceres, or because it's built out of/around Ceres?


This is important.

Neither. It's a space station that's named Ceres. It was designed by someone named Dr. Ceres and obviously he named it after himself. Because that's what scientists do.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil
Posts: 4267
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:14 pm

Re: Important Super Metroid Question! PLEASE READ!

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Gonzo wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:So... when Ridley abducts the baby metroid and blows up Ceres Station in the intro stage...
Is Ceres Station named such because it's NEAR Ceres, or because it's built out of/around Ceres?


This is important.

Neither. It's a space station that's named Ceres. It was designed by someone named Dr. Ceres and obviously he named it after himself. Because that's what scientists do.

That's kinda dickish of him for an asteroid belt facility.

Dr. Richard Ceres, station designer it is then.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.


KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny
Posts: 5627
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:15 pm
Location: PAL50, dood !

Re: Important Super Metroid Question! PLEASE READ!

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:This is important.

Hmm... I'd like to inquire as to why it is so.

I assume it would be because of the seemingly instantaneous trip from Ceres to wherever in sweet pogostick hell the Zebesian solar system is ?

Also,
People with enough time on their hands wrote:Ceres is a dwarf planet in the same solar system as Earth. The tiny planet is located in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. In Super Metroid, we see the Ceres Space Colony surrounded by asteroids, suggesting that it too is located in or near an asteroid belt, or an asteroid field. This would suggest that the colony is in fact situated in our solar system. The only contradicting evidence for this placement is the nebula we see in the background as Samus is leaving the station. Nebulae this large can not be seen with the naked eye from our solar system.

P.S.: planetoid, fuckers ("dwarf planet" sounds like shit)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)

Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil
Posts: 4267
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:14 pm

Re: Important Super Metroid Question! PLEASE READ!

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:This is important.

Hmm... I'd like to inquire as to why it is so.

I assume it would be because of the seemingly instantaneous trip from Ceres to wherever in sweet pogostick hell the Zebesian solar system is ?

Actually, travel time is ambiguous. Though I don't dispute the possibility of Samus' ship being able to open a wormhole for near-instantaneous travel. That's probably why it always flys into the screen.

But it's important because I wanted to know.


Also,
People with enough time on their hands wrote:Ceres is a dwarf planet in the same solar system as Earth. The tiny planet is located in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. In Super Metroid, we see the Ceres Space Colony surrounded by asteroids, suggesting that it too is located in or near an asteroid belt, or an asteroid field. This would suggest that the colony is in fact situated in our solar system. The only contradicting evidence for this placement is the nebula we see in the background as Samus is leaving the station. Nebulae this large can not be seen with the naked eye from our solar system.

P.S.: planetoid, fuckers ("dwarf planet" sounds like shit)

You could just call it an asteroid.

I would bet money it's called Ceres station because of the asteroid. It's exact relation to the asteroid is, however, unknown.

But it's also possible that it was just built by Dr. Richard Ceres to confuse the issue.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.


KHDownloads
Post Reply