Gambatte 0.5.0-wip2 released

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

mudlord
has wat u liek

Re: Gambatte 0.4.1 released

Post by mudlord »

Any chance of a debugger for Gambatte?

I am using this as a reference emulator for my stuff (since it passes all of Blargg's tests), and a debugger will definately help out in cases.

Thanks in advance. :)
This person is a fucking douchebag, they should die.
Gobo
Rookie

Post by Gobo »

Would you consider adding more flexible fullscreen upscaling factors (e.g 2x, 4x, 8x rather than just upscale according to the chosen resolution) for video filter "none"? I'm not a very good fan of filters and they're still somewhat glitchy.

Thank you very much :)
Gobo
Rookie

Post by Gobo »

I just tried this nice gbc demo called Space Waste by Octarine, but I couldn't help but notice it's plagued with glitches, at least when played on emulators.

What I'd consider the most evident abnormality is the garbage frame flashing as the routines change accompanied with pitch bending. Still, let's not forget some Amiga demos from back in the day used to do the same and it was considered normal, so even if we're talking about completely different hardware, chances are that these may not imply anything.

Other glitches include what you see in the image belows. The left one shows a garbage line on the top, which happens on every emulator I tried. The right one shows a yellow horizontal line off by a few pixels, which happens only in certain emulators such as Gambatte (e.g glitch is not present in NO$GMB)

I'd be interesting to see how good this demo performs on a real GameBoy, but right now I don't have the means of transferring the rom.

Any thoughts? thanks in advance 8)
Gobo
Rookie

Post by Gobo »

This is "Baby Felix Halloween". The 3 top screenshots show how Gambatte handles the menus; the lil Jack-o'-lantern selector and the characters are missing. The 3 bottom screenshots were taken with VBA-M and that's how said elements are supposed to look. There's also a difference in the colors of the letters, but since I can't for the love of me remember how they were displayed on my real GameBoy (now dead) I'll just leave that to speculation.

Regards.
Gobo
Rookie

Post by Gobo »

It's been a long while since the latest changes were submitted to the SVN and I can't help but wonder if this is normal. Some projects are more active than others, but given the little interest in gameboy emulation these days...I worry :?
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Post by sinamas »

Not dead. Major rewrites going on.
Gobo
Rookie

Post by Gobo »

Yay! 8)
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

Does these rewrites involve a debugger? :D
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Post by sinamas »

They involve a more thoroughly reverse-engineered PPU than I'd thought feasible. And cleaner code.
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

So basically.....

Just when I thought this emulator was accurate/perfect enough, the direction goes directly in a manner byuu would adore....

One more developer added to the ignore list I guess.
Good luck with your future endeavours. Nice knowing you.
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Post by sinamas »

I figured you'd be happy to hear that. I'd also like to welcome byuu to the direction of accurate, maintainable, and fast as fuck. Thanks for the news on that.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

mudlord88 wrote:So basically.....

Just when I thought this emulator was accurate/perfect enough, the direction goes directly in a manner byuu would adore....

One more developer added to the ignore list I guess.
Good luck with your future endeavours. Nice knowing you.
OK, seriously. GET THE FUCK OVER YOURSELF
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I.S.T. wrote:not the right reaction
sigh... you know how he is, jumping to conclusions too fast. please don't make it worse.

He'll come around and may even apologise when he sees
sinamas wrote:I'd also like to welcome byuu to the direction of accurate, maintainable, and fast as fuck.
Which is totally awesome, btw. We need more fast as fuck accurate. Faster than fuck accurater, if possible.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

Yes, it appears sinamas is going the direction of blargg instead, which should be respected, not ridiculed.
So yeah, I must retract my statement. But still, I must ignore the developer as principle.
I.S.T: Why don't you? If you are not concerned about mediocrity, you will not let SLIME seep into public use. Since it seems you are, and you are friends of the enemy, you can FOAD like I told byuu. You can even ban me from that romhacking.net place too, I really don't care. Banned from everywhere else, anyway. What would one more site do? OR one more IRC network?

And FYI, Franky DID not leak the album and blame me, I did not leak the album. Someone who was SICK of my trollish attitude DID and they of course tried to pin it on me. Something 4chan people might do, anyway. My reputation, if you call it that, is already fucked beyond repair, so I don't care. I don't care what you vermin think. With your slime ideals. If more developers like blargg, sinamas, etc are around, this world would be a happier place. BUT NO, your fuck buddies RetroRalph and that furfag BYUU had to exist. So you can kindly piss off like the others.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

as long this stuff as fast as no$gmb on my outdated-single-core-P4, i care less.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

mudlord88 wrote:Yes, it appears sinamas is going the direction of blargg instead, which should be respected, not ridiculed.
So yeah, I must retract my statement. But still, I must ignore the developer as principle.
I.S.T: Why don't you? If you are not concerned about mediocrity, you will not let SLIME seep into public use. Since it seems you are, and you are friends of the enemy, you can FOAD like I told byuu. You can even ban me from that romhacking.net place too, I really don't care. Banned from everywhere else, anyway. What would one more site do? OR one more IRC network?

And FYI, Franky DID not leak the album and blame me, I did not leak the album. Someone who was SICK of my trollish attitude DID and they of course tried to pin it on me. Something 4chan people might do, anyway. My reputation, if you call it that, is already fucked beyond repair, so I don't care. I don't care what you vermin think. With your slime ideals. If more developers like blargg, sinamas, etc are around, this world would be a happier place. BUT NO, your fuck buddies RetroRalph and that furfag BYUU had to exist. So you can kindly piss off like the others.
Friends of the enemy? byuu can go fuck himself for the insanity that has visited him. I do occasionally post on the board, but mostly to point out his idiocy. RetroRalph is a fucking ass who needs to go kill himself. I've never communicated with him directly or indirectly. I installed RetroCopy once to check out the changelog(I couldn't find it anywhere else, as the version had come out merely hours before), but I've never used it. I don't intend to use it. It's an overly flashy solution to problems that either don't exist or are fucking overblown.

I wouldn't ban you from #rhdn. I don't pull that shit on anyone. If I ban you(You in this case being the royal you, if you will), you've fucked up. That. Simple. I don't even know why you even brought it up.

Stop being paranoid. No one is out to get you. The only reason you've been banned from everywhere ever(Along with squall, though he's just a fuckwit/ass/homophobe) is because you refuse to control your mental illness. I have bi-polar too, and you don't see me flipping the fuck out on everyone who likes me.

I'm saying these things because I'm concerned about you. Over the last two years, you have slowly but surely alienated almost anyone who cares about you or likes you. You've been banned from everywhere ever, and I miss seeing you in those places. Get help, man. Please. I'm worried about you.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Gobo
Rookie

Post by Gobo »

Rashidi wrote:as long this stuff as fast as no$gmb on my outdated-single-core-P4, i care less.
Are you kidding me? as far as I remember, no$gmb's core was programmed entirely in assembly, so basically nothing's going to come close performance-wise unless it's done in a similar fashion. Still, considering the limitations of the gameboy hardware, I seriously doubt it will ever be anywhere near slow no matter how accurate it gets. That, of course, will depend on your computer, but let's take a plain 3.0ghz single core P4 CPU like mine for example; I run gambatte with the best possible settings, including vsync, and the cpu load is like 24% during the most demanding routines.

Either way, the more accurate, the merrier.

Hoping to see mixed frames/motion blur available at some point :mrgreen:
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gobo wrote:> implying coding in assembly results in unmatchable speed
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

Gobo wrote: Hoping to see mixed frames/motion blur available at some point :mrgreen:
That sort of stuff is what I want to add to mine at some point. It doesn't help when multiple crashes can result in loss of source, etc. A shader seems the best approach for that.
Gobo
Rookie

Post by Gobo »

What would that bad, oversized drawing mean? in any case, yes, assembly should be faster, with improvements ranging from marginal to great, regardless of it's convenience for use in projects like this. Ask any Amiga demo scener how they pulled the best tricks; hint, it wasn't C.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

the drawing is a trollface (4chan meme or some shit), implying you're fishing for reactions by playing stupid.
DataPath
Lurker

Post by DataPath »

Gobo wrote:in any case, yes, assembly should be faster, with improvements ranging from marginal to great, regardless of it's convenience for use in projects like this. Ask any Amiga demo scener how they pulled the best tricks; hint, it wasn't C.
Amiga? Really? Do you have ANY idea just how much more complicated modern processors are? And how much better compilers have gotten over the years? I think improvements would largely be in the "marginal" range even for a highly skilled asm coder. Optimizing the code in assembly, and re-optimizing it every few years for the latest processors' micro-arches, and then re-coding it for multi-threading, then re-coding it for GPGPU, then...

Write some good, high quality, maintainable code. Then optimize the parts that need it. Really, the world will thank you for it.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

DataPath wrote:And how much better compilers have gotten over the years?
well, i can't really say that for compilers from M$,
its known fact MS compilers will add various un-needed bloated API calls that will prevent the the binary to run on older version of windows, there already report about some recently compiled binaries only run on vista/7 but no longer works on XP, where with older/previous version of compiler, its resulting binaries works on both NT5 & NT6.
Probably compiler settings issues, but it still evil.

bloating & optimizing in one sitting, sounds like an oxymoron to me.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I have no trouble with code built using Visual Studio 2010 running on XP. Older should be of no consequence these days anyway.