Gambatte 0.5.0-wip2 released

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

MARIO CHIP 1

Post by MARIO CHIP 1 »

In case anyone cares, and in case it isn't known already:

The game "X" doesn't work properly in Gambatte. It doesn't show the nintendo logo at start up, just "...presents". (at least I'm pretty sure there was a nintendo logo there...)
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

If I correctly recall the few times I got to play with an original Gameboy, when you turned it on the BIOS would play the chime and display the Nintendo logo stored in the cart, then boot the game. I assume Gambatte doesn't bother with the BIOS anti-pirate-cart enforcement and just jumps straight into the game.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Thristian wrote:If I correctly recall the few times I got to play with an original Gameboy, when you turned it on the BIOS would play the chime and display the Nintendo logo stored in the cart, then boot the game. I assume Gambatte doesn't bother with the BIOS anti-pirate-cart enforcement and just jumps straight into the game.
and you are correct. All gameboy generations (regular, pocket, color, super, advance, advance SP, advance micro) did display a nintendo logo and chime upon powering on.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
byuu

Post by byuu »

If I recall, gambatte is a CGB-based emulator, and the CGB+SGB BIOSes were dumped after v0.4.1 was out. It's silly nostalgia, but maybe a future build will support the BIOS.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

I have a bug report:

World Cup USA 94
*bouncing ball on language select screen goes transparent on the top flags. (might happen on HW but can't test)
*field graphics are all jumbled up. (really doubt this happens on real HW)
Preminors78

Post by Preminors78 »

I recently tried this emulator out, and I have to say I like it a lot :D I'm always happy to see more cycle accurate emulators out there (now if someone would just make one for the ps1 and/or n64.... :P).

Well, I've played a few games and I haven't noticed any game bugs, but I do want to report that on MacOSX (10.5), I had the emulator crash after the screensaver activated (and then I quickly moved the mouse to deactivate it). It's not entirely reproducible, but it also seems to happen when you have some other window on top too. Kind of random, but it does happen a bit, so I constantly save state so I don't lose my data.

Speaking of save data, I'm hoping someone here can solve a mystery for me. Where does the emulator store sram files? I see the GUI has the option of saving quick save files (which I assume are savestates), but no where do I see any setting for where to store regular srams. Consequently, I'm trying to find a savefile to back it up (don't want to lose all my progress), but I have no idea where these .sav files are. I've looked everywhere in MacOSX and I still come up short. Library/Application Support (where many other emulators use), the home directory in some .foldername directory (assuming its unix based like some emulators--mupen64plus does this), as well as other places. A search of the hard drive comes up with nothing, and the application bundle doesn't have anything there either. Yet, loading the emulator I can still see my save data there, so it has to be in a directory somewhere on my HD.

I even loaded up my windows 7 virtualbox installation and ran gambatte there (using the savestate that I was able to save to a file), and it apparently generated a sram .sav file but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere on that (virtual) HD either. What am I missing? I looked at the readme and I don't see any mention of where it stores battery backed ram. I even looked at the sources too and I don't see any mention of a default directory either.

I would certainly recommend a feature where it put save files in the same folder than the rom file is in, if the user wants that. This is one of my favorite features of Snes9x1.5 for the mac, since it has a setting where you can select where save files are set (one option is a static folder and another is the ROM folder).

Aside from the mysterious location of the save data, I like the emulator so far and look forward to future updates :D Thanks!
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Try searching for the name of the ROM file (without any extension).
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Preminors78

Post by Preminors78 »

That was one of the first things I tried doing, no dice so far. I'm using the Finder search, though maybe there's some more advance setting I could use I guess. I've tried searching on file name, contents, over the whole computer, etc. I do know it's not as comprehensive as slocate or similar search tools, since it doesn't go into the bsd subsystem (/usr /etc that kind of thing), but I don't think that is writeable by a normal application. Where are saves stored in the linux version?
tukuyomi
Rookie

Post by tukuyomi »

Try searching in

Code: Select all

~/.config/gambatte
Preminors78

Post by Preminors78 »

That did it, thanks! :D The mystery is solved :P
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

No new version since...........a long time ago :(

What happened to the project? Is it still on ice?
I'd really love to see a new version with improved (accurate) *DMG* emulation.
The CGB part is nice,but all I need is DMG.

bgb is still a better emulator when it comes to DMG emulation, but I prefer to use gambatte, since it works under Linux as well.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Post by sinamas »

It's getting there.
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Post by sinamas »

kick wrote:Before we move on to Part 3,I'd like to report a few DMG core bugs in the latest version of Gambatte:

- The first three lines of the displayed image are flashing when a sprite touches them.A lot of games are affected.

Beetlejuice extracted from bgb or the real hardware:

Gambatte and the bug that needs to be turned into juice :D :

A screenshot of LoZ:Link's Awakening - Gambatte displays the same glitch:
I just tested this, and it happens on DMG hardware too. It can be a bit hard to see because of the laggy LCD.

I assumed you actually tested it when you claimed that this didn't happen on hardware. Not assuming that could have saved me a lot of trouble. Finding the cause of non-existent bugs tends to be rather difficult.
dgray512

Post by dgray512 »

Great emulator, looking forward to the next update. Could you possibly add a fullscreen switch for the command line?
diminish

Post by diminish »

While playing Super Mario Land (W) (V1.0) [!].gb I've encountered a Sound Engine failure. It happened when I got hit by a Batadon in 3-1. Full Screen mode. My settings:

This is with WinXP SP3, Sync to vertical blank unchecked and Realtek ALC850 (AC'97).

EDIT: Apart from the error message, the emulator quited fullscreen like after an alt-tab and in the result scaling was broken (somewhat the top-left overscaled 1/4 of original image was only visible; switch was from 640x480 fullscreen to 1024x768 desktop). After some testing no more Sound Engine failures, but that mode switching issue alone.

With D3D and Exclusive full screen everything is OK now, probably ATI driver stuff (X800 GTO here).
Gobo
Rookie

Post by Gobo »

Hello. I'd like to request a couple of features. First one would be "Mix Frame". Here's what the FAQ for kigb has to say about it:
"1.24 "What is 'Mix Frame' in the Video option menu?"

The image in LCD cannot be clear immediately. There is short time lag
before the image can be completely clear. During this short period, if the
LCD displays some images over the old ones, they will be 'mixed'.

Turning Mix Frame on (default is on) will emulate this behavior. You should
always turn it on unless your system run too slow. Some games make use of
this behavior to produce special effects. Examples are: Angel Marlowe, Battle
Ping Pong, and Ballistic"
The second feature would be compatibility with the Gameboy Color bootrom which was successfully dumped last year. I'm specially enthusiastic about eventually being able to press a pad+button combination and get different colors on screen for regular gameboy games, just like with a real Gameboy Color :D

Third feature: being able to map the B/A buttons to numpad keys. I always used num1 and num2 for B and A respectively in other emulators. With Gambatte I can't seem to.

I also found out that using the lowest sample rate available makes the screen stutter every number of seconds when syncing to exactly 60fps. But I won't properly report this unless I'm being told to.

Anyways, I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting with this emulator, what an absolutely outstanding work you've done! I also googled for the emulator but sadly it doesn't appear to be very well known outside this forum. Maybe a lil bit more of advertisement wouldn't hurt, afteralls, this is the only accurate gameboy emulator being developed right now, the world needs to know 8)

Cheers.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Re: Gambatte 0.4.1 released

Post by Tallgeese »

Is there any particular reason this emulator flat out refuses to load any kind of Robopon GBC game?

And I mean any version. Moon, Star, Sun... English, Japanese? None load.

Is there a better place to report this?
Gobo
Rookie

Post by Gobo »

This thread seems a lil bit dead these days, hope nothing bad happened.
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Post by sinamas »

Tallgeese wrote:Is there any particular reason this emulator flat out refuses to load any kind of Robopon GBC game?

And I mean any version. Moon, Star, Sun... English, Japanese? None load.
Probably because no one requested HuC3 support.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Ahhh... what games use that?

Any shot of it being added in eventually?
byuu

Post by byuu »

Kirby's Tilt & Tumble doesn't seem to load either, I assume it's also using an unsupported mapper.
Gobo
Rookie

Post by Gobo »

byuu wrote:Kirby's Tilt & Tumble doesn't seem to load either, I assume it's also using an unsupported mapper.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest it may not be the mapper bur the tilt sensor.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gobo wrote:
byuu wrote:Kirby's Tilt & Tumble doesn't seem to load either, I assume it's also using an unsupported mapper.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest it may not be the mapper bur the tilt sensor.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and let you guess how that tilt sensor sends data to the game boy.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

grinvader wrote:
Gobo wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and let you guess how that tilt sensor sends data to the game boy.

Hint: not gerbils.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
Gobo wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and fall out of the tree when it breaks.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads