Current Status FAQ

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Rydian
Lurker

Post by Rydian »

Unsuccessfully.
Athlon XP 2800+
765MB DDR-333
AGP Geforce 6200

Took me, what, a year to update this info?
And meh, screw legs.
Oh... puns. I get it. Shame on me.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

byuu wrote:
..you mean there's REALLY a TCPM chip in the mac hardware?
Yes, there absolutely is.
We *are* talking about the same TCPM chip that supposedly doesn't allow free and open source apps to run, doesn't allow Linux to be used, controls what we can and cannot do with the computer, has 2048-bit encryption, etc etc, right?
It can do all of that, but Apple is only using it to prevent their OS from running on non-Mac hardware. So far.
Heh, and here I was about to post three franpa alerts regarding that if it were false :P

I guess the rumors about the TCPM chip doing all these things were indeed true.. guess we need to put an end to this, right?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Rydian
Lurker

Post by Rydian »

Er, you do know you can install OSX on a non-mac computer, right?

Why am I ignored? T_T I don't fail THAT much, do I? Did I not pass some initation?
Athlon XP 2800+
765MB DDR-333
AGP Geforce 6200

And meh, screw legs.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Rydian wrote:Er, you do know you can install OSX on a non-mac computer, right?

Why am I ignored? T_T I don't fail THAT much, do I? Did I not pass some initation?
you make it sound easier than it actually is - most of the work arounds involved in getting OSX running on non-mac hardware involve the TCPM to begin with.

with one visit to Apple's update site and the install goes poof.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

byuu wrote:
..you mean there's REALLY a TCPM chip in the mac hardware?
Yes, there absolutely is.
Actually, Intel Macs haven't come with TPM chips since October 2006 (search for "October 2006"). I have a Core 2 Duo based MacBook right here, and it doesn't have a TPM chip.

That page also points out that even when Macs did come with TPM chips, OS X didn't use it for anything - it didn't even come with a driver for the chip (observe the author of the page linking to a driver he wrote himself to get the TPM chip to do anything).
byuu

Post by byuu »

Actually, Intel Macs haven't come with TPM chips since October 2006 (search for "October 2006").
Oh wow, they finally got rid of the Infineon chip, huh? Good to hear.
That page also points out that even when Macs did come with TPM chips, OS X didn't use it for anything
Very interesting. Then the ~10 or so articles I've read about people breaking OS X to run on non-Mac hardware were all full of misinformation.

Makes me wonder how exactly Apple locked down their OS X platform. Perhaps by relying on their EFI (or whatever) BIOS? And I know the kernel itself uses SSE3 instructions, which locks out many older processors.

And yes, I'm obviously aware that each version thus far has been cracked. At any rate, if Apple doesn't want me to run their OS on my hardware, then I won't. Problem solved. I have another great OS here that not only wants me to use it on whatever hardware I choose, it wants me to make copies to give away to friends, free of charge, too.

Apple's decision only hurts their own users, as I would otherwise purchase their OS, and even develop applications for it, that would benefit many of their users. And I'm sure I'm not alone.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

byuu wrote:Apple's decision only hurts their own users, as I would otherwise purchase their OS, and even develop applications for it, that would benefit many of their users. And I'm sure I'm not alone.
As would I, actually.

I was kinda hoping that the OSx86 would come in retail packaging and be able to be used on any x86 CPU, as long as it meets the requirements.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Rydian
Lurker

Post by Rydian »

Then apple would be swamped with support requests.
Athlon XP 2800+
765MB DDR-333
AGP Geforce 6200

And meh, screw legs.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Rydian wrote:Then apple would be swamped with support requests.
And money. Not that they need more, apparently.
Rydian
Lurker

Post by Rydian »

Nah, then they'd have a big problem with software piracy, and would be losing the profits they get from buying computer parts from the manufacturers and reselling them at a markup.

At least with normal computer manufacturers, what you pay for is the support, and not the $250 of (totally kickass for normal computer users) production softwares macs come with.

That said, anybody checked out alienware's prices? I mean, I've always heard they were overpriced, but never bothered checking out any of their setups. Then I found their base $1,200 laptop had one gig of ram and a 1.5ghz core 2 duo.

Disappointing, expecially because I can find laptops with turion X2 2ghz processor and 2 gigs of ram with XP on newegg. Or, at least I could when I last checked a month and a half ago.
Athlon XP 2800+
765MB DDR-333
AGP Geforce 6200

And meh, screw legs.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

What the..!? $1200 for that!? You gotta be kidding.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Rydian wrote:Nah, then they'd have a big problem with software piracy, and would be losing the profits they get from buying computer parts from the manufacturers and reselling them at a markup.
As if they don't already have a big problem with software piracy, heh.
NSRT here.
Rydian
Lurker

Post by Rydian »

bahamut: Default setup of $1,600 laptop. Notice how the processor is 1.6ghz and it's only got a gig of ram. It's got an 8700M. But only a gig of ram and a <2ghz processor. ... do they hire little girls to set these things up?

link: I meant like, other software. Not the OS. No use pirating the iLife suite if you're on windows.
Athlon XP 2800+
765MB DDR-333
AGP Geforce 6200

And meh, screw legs.
Boozle061083
Rookie

Post by Boozle061083 »

I don't know if anyone cares anymore but there is a SNES XBAND modem on eBay right now wil very few bids but it only has 15 hours left. I would bid for the good of the community but they only take PayPal and I can't put anything on my card for a few more weeks. Still recovering from Christmas spending :P

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Nintendo-XBAN ... dZViewItem
[b]Im iN uR EmULatuR. chAnGiN' aLL uR diReCtoReeZ.[/b]
[img]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/5092/57501844cs7jz9jc3.png[/img]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

It's very low priced.
Silver Fox 9mm

Post by Silver Fox 9mm »

Rydian wrote:bahamut: Default setup of $1,600 laptop. Notice how the processor is 1.6ghz and it's only got a gig of ram. It's got an 8700M. But only a gig of ram and a <2ghz processor. ... do they hire little girls to set these things up?

link: I meant like, other software. Not the OS. No use pirating the iLife suite if you're on windows.
You could get A better lap to for 300$
Sagitarius Nov. 23 - Dec 21 The possibility of trouble in your future suggests you should be armed to the teeth at all times. Your lucky numbers are .45 .357 and 9mm
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

what portion of zsnes is currently being worked on?
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Core(s).
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Awesome. :D

How is work on the new gui going?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

That would have been a good question if my previous post was
grinvader wrote:GUI.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I'll rephrase: How was it going before y'all switched to working on the core/s?
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

grinvader wrote:That would have been a good question if my previous post was
grinvader wrote:GUI.
lulz.
I bring the trouble.
use_your_shoe

Post by use_your_shoe »

I think the link in the OP is broken
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

That's some serios mastery of the obvious right there.
皆黙って俺について来い!!