How to best run Pokemon Puzzle League for N64?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

How to best run Pokemon Puzzle League for N64?

Post by Tallgeese »

I am having a very frustrating time getting Pokemon Puzzle League to run properly for a friend of mine. The only real relevant specs to the problem we're having with it is that she has a Pentium D processor and a Radeon X300, which while not spectacular is way better than my Pentium 4 and Intel 845G.

From what I understand, only Glide64 is fully capable of running this game. Using the wrapper provided by Wonder ++, I could run the game on an Intel 845G with no graphics errors, ignoring the fact my FPS was in the single digits doing screen transitions. My integrated graphics chip is not even fully supported by the wrapper, while my friend's card is.

However, she winds up with this screen in a 2D block match:

Oddly, this does not occur in a 3D block match. This is basically the only thing wrong, we've tried multiple setting combinations and it doesn't get fixed on hers. Even if she matches my working settings it doesn't get fixed.

We tried both 1964 .99 and Project64 1.6. 1964 didn't work at all in her case (and barely worked in mine), and with Project64 we are at this point. Would anyone here have an idea of what's going on here?

(Yes, we know to disable hardware frame buffer emulation for this game and to turn read alpha on).
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I'm not being much help to you but I was also wondering if anyone knew an emu that ran Yoshi's Story with NO video glitches.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Panzer88 wrote:I'm not being much help to you but I was also wondering if anyone knew an emu that ran Yoshi's Story with NO video glitches.
Project64, provided that you've updated the RDB and use a good video plugin like Glide64 with a decent wrapper.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

"How to best run Pokemon Puzzle League for N64?"
On the N64.

Someone tell me when N64 emus get to the point that they're actualy worth using.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Believe me, I know how outrageously bad N64 emulators are. However, I was under the distinct impression Glide64 did this specific game basically right.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:"How to best run Pokemon Puzzle League for N64?"
On the N64.

Someone tell me when N64 emus get to the point that they're actualy worth using.
QFT
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Someone tell me when N64 emus get to the point that they're actualy worth using.
Well, they are worth using and emulate quite faithfully vs. utter garbage depending on what games you want to play. :D

Needless to say, most Pokémon games aren't very high on that "fully supported" games list.

EDIT: I just tried this game, Glide64 Wonder Plus, ziggy's Glide wrapper. No problems whatsoever, save a bit of slowdown during screen transitions.
Last edited by Agozer on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Using the wrapper provided by Wonder ++, I could run the game on an Intel 845G with no graphics errors, ignoring the fact my FPS was in the single digits doing screen transitions. My integrated graphics chip is not even fully supported by the wrapper, while my friend's card is.
You should try the wrapper bundled with GlideHQ.

Its much more updated than the one present in the last official release, and a lot of internal things to the wrapper have been rewritten. For example, ziggy implemented a much more system friendly manner to do hardware framebuffer emulation; Gonetz, koolsmoky, and I implemented compressed texture support, and depth buffer emulation for Resident Evil 2 now works perfect. I have also added INI file support to the latest release.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Agozer wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Someone tell me when N64 emus get to the point that they're actualy worth using.
Well, they are worth using and emulate quite faithfully vs. utter garbage depending on what games you want to play. :D

Needless to say, most Pokémon games aren't very high on that "fully supported" games list.

EDIT: I just tried this game, Glide64 Wonder Plus, ziggy's Glide wrapper. No problems whatsoever, save a bit of slowdown during screen transitions.
If it's game-dependant and requires a a Glide wrapper because the only video plugin that works requires a Voodoo, it's not faithful emulation. Period.

But I will rephrase.
Tell me when N64 emulators become compatible self-contained apps that work without jumping through hoops.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Thank you very much mudlord, that solved it quite nicely except for multicolored junk on the top and bottom she doesn't care about.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Tell me when N64 emulators become compatible self-contained apps that work without jumping through hoops.
I can relate to that. N64 emulation is a royal pain in the ass to set up and requires lots to tinkering and jumping through hoops, like you said.