Star Ocean Translation Project-Related Questions

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

AmzRigh

Star Ocean Translation Project-Related Questions

Post by AmzRigh »

First, I know that the current patch is practically complete and fully playable. Also, I can completely understand why DeJap hasn't done that last little bit. :P

My main question is, why hasn't anyone else finished the job? Are there difficult technical issues associated with the remaining minutiae? Are there political reasons, thus nobody else has the knowledge or tools to do it without starting from scratch? Or is there just a lack of interest in the job?

Now, I'm not asking for anyone to do this or anything like that. I'm just curious as to why it hasn't happened yet.

Also, I remember the dubbing project being a big deal before Tomato's and DF's hard drives both crashed, setting them back a long way. Was it never picked back up because the tools were lost? Or was recollecting the samples too much work? Or, again, just lack of interest?

Thanks in advance, I'd really like to know what the deal is here. :)
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

You are right on these accounts. Basically, the tools have been lost, and Dark Force is no longer around, possibly due to illness. It would be incredibly difficult for these projects to be completed, as the work would need to be started from scratch. And considering these projects are 99% finished, no one has the inclination to do that.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
LobStar
Lurker

Re: Star Ocean Translation Project-Related Questions

Post by LobStar »

AmzRigh wrote:First, I know that the current patch is practically complete and fully playable. Also, I can completely understand why DeJap hasn't done that last little bit. :P

My main question is, why hasn't anyone else finished the job? Are there difficult technical issues associated with the remaining minutiae? Are there political reasons, thus nobody else has the knowledge or tools to do it without starting from scratch? Or is there just a lack of interest in the job?

Now, I'm not asking for anyone to do this or anything like that. I'm just curious as to why it hasn't happened yet.

Also, I remember the dubbing project being a big deal before Tomato's and DF's hard drives both crashed, setting them back a long way. Was it never picked back up because the tools were lost? Or was recollecting the samples too much work? Or, again, just lack of interest?

Thanks in advance, I'd really like to know what the deal is here. :)
Dubbing ability is still around.
... Ever take a look at the Earthbound ROM? I SWEAR THE PROGRAMMERS WERE ON CRACK WHEN THEY DID IT! JUST LOOK AT IT!
Tomato
Hazed

Re: Star Ocean Translation Project-Related Questions

Post by Tomato »

AmzRigh wrote:My main question is, why hasn't anyone else finished the job? Are there difficult technical issues associated with the remaining minutiae? Are there political reasons, thus nobody else has the knowledge or tools to do it without starting from scratch? Or is there just a lack of interest in the job?
I don't remember what little stuff is left, actually. It might be that people don't really care anymore.
Years later I managed to recover a little more from the evil HD, but the dub stuff itself was just getting started. I think only one person had sent any clips in, and they were just test ones I think. I still have lots of source code for my various voice clip hacking/organization, but I have no idea what any of it does/why it does it anymore.

I think in 2003-ish Cidolfas was interested in pursuing the dub stuff on his own, and I even did a bunch of translatorial help for it or something, but I don't know what happened with it.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

It is not just that no one is motivated by the translation or that the tools are lost but it is also because SO is going to be eclipsed by it's PSP remake.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

That's a good point. I'm really hoping it'll get released here in English. Also hoping it'll be more complete and less rushed-feeling. Now I gotta buy a PSP though :shock:
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

When lurking on the rpgamer.com forums I noticed how many people want the remake to come out in America. Cidolfas looked so impressed that I doubt that he will care anymore for the SFC version. The PSP version have a lot of potential.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!