Possibility of a DS port

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Trel
Rookie

Possibility of a DS port

Post by Trel »

I'm not asking what the possibility of one happening is, I'm asking what is the possibility of it being able to be done without much loss if any in features of ZSNES.

(I tried searching, but DS is too short a keyword)
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

does the DS use a x86 compliant CPU? not to my knowledge :P so no its impossible to port the emulator to it.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It would require significant amounts of work, period. It starts with the GUI and continues with the core, renderer, and audio (blargg's SPC would be used instead, but I'm just telling you how much ASM is a factor here).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Trel
Rookie

Post by Trel »

Deathlike2 wrote:It would require significant amounts of work, period. It starts with the GUI and continues with the core, renderer, and audio (blargg's SPC would be used instead, but I'm just telling you how much ASM is a factor here).
Ah, ok. And just to be clear, I wasn't asking for it to be done, I was just asking about the difficulty level if it were to be done.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

If I had to guess from what I've heard, writing a new emulator from scratch would be easier than a port. But I may be wrong.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

maybe a post with all of ZSNES code in its entirety would be a good visual aid of just how enormous it is and how you have to change ALL OF THAT.

it may be cool, but they're still working on making the original version of the emu with the development of Zsnes 2.0
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

How about just downloading the source and see for yourself? It is not meant to be a rude remark, but seriously it is not hard to grasp what I'm saying.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

It's not impossible, but it'd be easier to modify another SNES emu with a ZSNES... Unless you have a LOT of free time...

It's much easier to adapt Snes9x for it , which I beleive is what most people use for emus

Honestly I think time would be better spent improving on the current SNES emus for DS
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Deathlike2 wrote:How about just downloading the source and see for yourself? It is not meant to be a rude remark, but seriously it is not hard to grasp what I'm saying.
that's ok, I understand what you're saying, but I know a lot of people will just hear it but not really look. I mean it's like when people hear "a billion" they don't realize how infinitely huge that number is.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Porting to the DS is not going to happen.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

It would require a complete rewrite to get decent speed and probably the opera GBA cart for extra memory.
Watering ur plants.