It Might Be NES

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

It Might Be NES

Post by adventure_of_link »

http://imbnes.gamebase.ca/

a NES Emulator for PSone. I'd say, for the most part, this is a pretty good emulator, considering this is ran on a PSone. (even if there are some areas the music doesn't play, glitches, etc. then again I used epsxe to test my image, so...)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I forgot about that one... I wonder how it'd play River City Ransom...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I said this on the Snes9x boards already. Fast, inaccurate NES emulation used to run on a 486. So take that for what it is worth.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

It might be NES.... but probably isn't.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Does anybody know where to find a compatibility list for it? I can't find one via google. >.<
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I think I remember running this on a PSX emulator one time. I'm a huge nerd for finding that funny, but I don't care.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I don't see it as impossible, GBA has an NES emulator that seems to run very well.
Rydian
Lurker

Post by Rydian »

paul: You sure it's for the GBA?

Also, yeah, I had an NES and GBC emulator for the dreamcast.
Athlon XP 2800+
765MB DDR-333
AGP Geforce 6200

Took me, what, a year to update this info?
And meh, screw legs.
Oh... puns. I get it. Shame on me.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

It's called PocketNES, and has even be ripped off by several companies who did NES ports to the GBA(I don't believe the NES classics or whatever the hell the series is called did that, however.).
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:I don't see it as impossible, GBA has an NES emulator that seems to run very well.
Has a few, actually. All of them take the NESticle approach of doing things fast and cheap.

RAM space is a large obstacle to emulation on the PS1, though.
The entire game has to be loaded into RAM along with the emulator, and there's only 2 MB to work with.

GameBoy doesn't have this issue, since you can read the game and emulator code off the cartridge bus.
juliobbv

Post by juliobbv »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
paulguy wrote:I don't see it as impossible, GBA has an NES emulator that seems to run very well.
Has a few, actually. All of them take the NESticle approach of doing things fast and cheap.

RAM space is a large obstacle to emulation on the PS1, though.
The entire game has to be loaded into RAM along with the emulator, and there's only 2 MB to work with.

GameBoy doesn't have this issue, since you can read the game and emulator code off the cartridge bus.
Actually, recent versions of PocketNES have reduced graphical glitches a lot, thanks to the work of Dwedit, many games that had one frame glitches have been eliminated. For example, Battletoads, Mario 3 and Mike Tyson's Punch Out! (this one still has issues between round screens) and now has a rudimentary form of mid-scanline switching (Marble Madness ingame text now appears), along with some other compatibility fixes. Even though compatibility is not perfect, there are only few cases where PocketNES has glitches that make a game unplayable. :wink: The only thing where is lacking is sound, it sometimes sounds kinda crappy, but considering that PocketNES emulates everything at a very high level, it's awesome to see a very efficient emulator that runs almost everything fullspeed. Even in some things it surpassed Nesticle, and PocketNES has a lot of useful options like a cheat finder and the ability to send a game to another gameboy.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

juliobbv wrote:...Even in some things it surpassed Nesticle...
You say that like NESticle is a gold standard of some sort.

NESticle was a hideous monstrosity that should've died long before it did.
juliobbv

Post by juliobbv »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
juliobbv wrote:...Even in some things it surpassed Nesticle...
You say that like NESticle is a gold standard of some sort.

NESticle was a hideous monstrosity that should've died long before it did.
Hi Gil_Hamilton, I used NESticle as a comparison because way it emulates games is very similar to PocketNES in the way that it doesn't emulate accurately the NES, as you said a post ago. I know that NESticle didn't excel in any emulation department, but I don't think NESticle is a 'hideous monstrosity'. I know that NESticle shouldn't have been recommended when better emulators were made, but it was already so popular that in some communities, especially those that didn't read the emulation news, it was known as THE NES emulator, because it worked with the majority of the popular games and people that played occasionally didn't have to recommend another emulator because "if it ain't broke, why fix it" :).

Back on topic, I used IMBNES a couple of years ago, the sound and color reproduction (is?) very good, but SMB3 had some layering issues that kept me from continuing playing the game. :(

Offtopic: How is my English, is it understandable? I want to post more frequently, but I'm still too slow at writing posts (It took me like 20 minutes to write this one); and practicing helps me to at least understand my relatives that are on the US.
I'm not a native English speaker. If you have any problems understanding my post, please let me know.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

juliobbv, the problem with your comparison to Nesticle is that for some NES games, Nesticle required hacks on the ROM. I'm not talking about emus adding a hack for specific games, instead the original good ROM had to be hacked in order to be playable for Nesticle. This is a bad method of doing emulation.

Your English is pretty good, which is better than most that don't speak or write English as their first language.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Not just understandable,but very good IMO (your rating: 90% for now - based on 2 posts)
The most interesting thing is you excel in one area where even native speakers fail: spelling
Are you using any kind of spellchecking software by chance? ;)

You just need a little bit of practice to improve your grammar and sentence structure skills.

I must say it again - pretty solid for a non-native speaker

Nesticle is a steaming pile of bull****,a perfect example of an 'un-emulator' that should be avoided by all costs.The only good thing in it was the cursor :LOL: Today we have emulators such as NEStopia (for accuracy nuts) and VirtuaNES (for gamers with slow CPUs) that are light years beyond anything Nesticle-based.
Anyway,it's a good idea to download and keep this bloody testicle in your collection,just for its novelty value.
Last edited by kick on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

kick wrote:PS: NESticle is a steaming pile of bull****.The only good thing in it was the cursor,LOL. Thank god we have NEStopia.
Haha, I was going to mention the cursor if someone else didn't. Someone should hack it into the next April 1st Zsnes... (hint hint)

EDIT: Not that I want to get any blood on my toast...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I was using LoopyNES and FWNES back in the day.
They worked better than NESticle, though that doesn't really say a whole lot.
juliobbv

Post by juliobbv »

kick wrote:Not just understandable,but very good IMO (your rating: 90% for now - based on 2 posts)
The most interesting thing is you excel in one area where even native speakers fail: spelling
Are you using any kind of spellchecking software by chance? ;)
Yeah, normally I don't have problems with spelling, for now I'm being extra careful when writing my posts, literally I proofread many times my post before submitting. The irony here is that there's the option to use the spellchecker in Firefox, but I prefer not to use it because I think it would be bad for my spelling skills. In the future I'm considering to download the spellchecker, in order to write my posts faster and to not worry as much :).
kick wrote:Thank god we have NEStopia.
Seconded, NEStopia has almost everything you'll need, along with some nice extras that are very welcome (Super Mario Bros. @ 100FPS anyone? :wink:).
Gil_Hamilton wrote:I was using LoopyNES and FWNES back in the day.
I didn't have the chance to try these emulators in those days, when I was really into emulators I was already using FCEU and VirtuaNES :). I'm going to try them someday to see what I missed.

Any advice on writing style? When writing I repeat too many words, and it's a little tiring to think in other ways to put my thoughts. Maybe with practice...
I'm not a native English speaker. If you have any problems understanding my post, please let me know.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

juliobbv wrote:
I didn't have the chance to try these emulators in those days, when I was really into emulators I was already using FCEU and VirtuaNES :). I'm going to try them someday to see what I missed.
FWNES steals the Secret of Mana menu rings. It's worth trying just to see them.

LoopyNES is pretty bare-bones. If it was any simpler, there wouldn't be a GUI.

Both are DOS apps, and subject to squirrelly behavior on a modern machine.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

I found "BioNES" back in the days and it was my NES emu of choice at the time
Yeah, that was pretty neat actually.
Nes emualtors I used in order

"winNES" - pretty obscure and pretty badby today's standards but it was the first ever emulator I used)http://web.tiscali.it/cdemichele/winnes.html

Nesticle - Yeah I know looking back it was crap but at the time it was pretty good

BioNES - Extremely good for the time, way better than Nesticle in sound and compatibility. Same author as fwNES

VirtuaNES - Second only to Nestopia

Nestopia - Need I say more
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Snark wrote:
I found "BioNES" back in the days and it was my NES emu of choice at the time
Yeah, that was pretty neat actually.
Nes emualtors I used in order

"winNES" - pretty obscure and pretty badby today's standards but it was the first ever emulator I used)http://web.tiscali.it/cdemichele/winnes.html

Nesticle - Yeah I know looking back it was crap but at the time it was pretty good

BioNES - Extremely good for the time, way better than Nesticle in sound and compatibility. Same author as fwNES

VirtuaNES - Second only to Nestopia

Nestopia - Need I say more
You forgot to mention the mighty RockNES.It was one of the better emulators and ahead of its time.It went under many revisions and rewrites over the long period of its existence,focusing more and more on accuracy with each rewrite.I think this sucker is still alive and in active development,even now.

ImbNES - It Might be NES,but it's not :)
Last edited by kick on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Rocknes status is currently on Ice. no one will help the author with a glitch in the video output so he has given up for the time being.

unless this very late update will fix said issue.... ill speak to him soon on msn and ask.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

I've seen many people are praising Jnes (by Jabo) as one of the best NES emulators around.So good that many prefer this one over VirtuaNES.Haven't tried it myself,but if you look at all the quality stuff Jabo has created for other emulators (PJ64 comes to mind),this emu looks very promising.The last update was released just recently (a week ago)

And what the ^&%$ is this ???
http://www.emuhq.com/idx/40/887/Nintend ... NES9x.html

LOL,what a ripoff!

Now all we need is a Z-NES or b-nes :D (you can delete this paragraph and add these acronyms to the bad words filter if you find them offensive)

And just for fun,here's a 100% ASCII version of a NES emu - TextNES:

http://www.muq.org/~wolfwngs/textnes/
Last edited by kick on Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 14 times in total.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

[I'm the last double post on this planet, clean me up,Scotty!]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

kick wrote:I've that Jnes (by Jabo) is currently one of the best NES emulators around.So good that many prefer this one over VirtuaNES.
Accuracy-wise, Nintendulator is the best.
Last I checked, the interface was, shall we say, minimal, though.
It also pounds the CPU in the ass. Hard.

And just for fun,here's a 100% ASCII version of a NES emu - TextNES:

http://www.muq.org/~wolfwngs/textnes/
There's always mIRCNES...
You can find the link yourself. I'm not sure I want to spread such villainy.