Where Has FEoEZ Gone?

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

With Mother 3 *mostly* out of the way now, I could probably start to do stuff with FEoEZ, but I imagine byuu's busy with his 5000 projects too. We both have project-itis.
byuu

Post by byuu »

I'm still desperately trying to wrap up loose ends on my projects so that I can focus on FEoEZ exclusively ... I want to give it my full attention, as it's going to require a massive amount of reprogramming.

bsnes has eaten up pretty much 99% of my free time lately. With a new release out of the way, I should be at a good stopping point to finish up the loose ends on all of my other severely neglected projects (xkas, bview, hiro, etc.)

I'm hoping to get started on FEoEZ by January, but I know that's way too optimistic ... the good news is that I'm pretty fast at ROM hacking these days, so I doubt it's going to span several years like some of my other projects in the past.

I suppose if I'm not at a good stopping point by then, we can try and get the script extracted and worked on while I finish up other things.
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

Tis okay, I'm in no rush. I've been tinkering with Tomato Adventure this past week, and lord knows I have plenty of other projects to keep my occupied until I'm 80 as it is. I'd like FEoEZ to be done slowly and surely, like a relaxing walk through a park compared to the mad dash across a giant, busy freeway that Mother 3 was :P
anewuser
Rookie

Post by anewuser »

It'll be a long wait. But I'm glad you guys plan to hack/translate the game. We wouldn't be able to play the game, anyway, since it never came to this side of the world.

Awesome.
[url=http://www.fsf.org/resources/formats/playogg]PlayOgg[/url]
isamu
Hazed

Post by isamu »

Glad to hear this game was finally cracked, and that Byuu and Tomato are working on an English trans :)

By the way I just curious....did DQ IIIr ever get a 100% complete English trans?
KungFuFurby

Post by KungFuFurby »

The website for YnT is at http://www.yntproject.net/ . You probably missed it because you were trying http://www.yntprojects.net/ which lead to a dead page.

That's right, I found your web site for you. ^_^
The Doug

Post by The Doug »

Hi..... what is the status of this project? Someone begins to translate FEOEZ?

Thanks
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I think that Byuu and Tomato are planning to tackle that. I don't know if they started yet, though.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
byuu

Post by byuu »

I need an emulator that has:
- true SPC7110 decompression support
- save states
- a nice Linux debugger

I'm working on the second one. Once they're all ready I can start trying to extract the script.
Give it ~15 + (# of requests for updates * 3) months.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I thought that Nach's special build of zsnes had full decompression support? Windows only, though (I had to use WINE to get my screenshots).
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
byuu

Post by byuu »

ZSNES v1.42's debugger was DOS only, and barely adequate. The bugs added in the scons(?) port of it makes it unusable.

I also want something a lot more powerful. VRAM, OAM and CGRAM viewers, unused memory detection, read/write breakpoints to all memory types, direct masked tracing, the extended cycle timing information to benchmark my new routines and see how close I'm cutting it to the end of Vblank, etc etc.

I'm also going to be doing some stuff with the memory mapping (yes, it's necessary, you'll see why soon enough), and I'm not sure if other emulator authors will follow suit or not.
The Doug

Post by The Doug »

hahuahuahau Cool :wink:

But bsnes doesn't have save states? And a debugger?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

The Doug wrote:

Savestates, for sure, no. And here's why:

Due to the way BSNES is programmed and its purpose (accurate SNES emulation down to the last Hz, etc) save states would be very difficult, if not impossible to implement.

Debugger, no idea.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

adventure_of_link wrote:
The Doug wrote:

Savestates, for sure, no. And here's why:

Due to the way BSNES is programmed and its purpose (accurate SNES emulation down to the last Hz, etc) save states would be very difficult, if not impossible to implement.

Debugger, no idea.
So I guess bsnes 0.048 will come as a shock to you.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Note that the savestate (and cheat support) user interface will probably be different from what is described on that page.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

dfreer wrote:So I guess bsnes 0.048 will come as a shock to you.
don't mind the butar, it doesn't go out much
byuu wrote:I also want something a lot more powerful. VRAM, OAM and CGRAM viewers, unused memory detection, read/write breakpoints to all memory types, direct masked tracing, the extended cycle timing information to benchmark my new routines and see how close I'm cutting it to the end of Vblank, etc etc.
I am interested in a deeper explanation of some of these for my personal agenda:

'unused memory':
  • as in, redundant due to mirroring ? or those chunks padded with garbage ?
'R/W breakpoints to all memory types':
  • I assume by type you mean ROM, WRAM, SRAM, IRAM and co. and by R/W, "break on read from/write to *addr". if i'm wrong, please load MDR with correctitude bitchslap.
'direct masked tracing':
  • elaborate on this one please, i can't even guess from the name.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

It's fun abbreviating things for the masses :)
'unused memory':

as in, redundant due to mirroring ? or those chunks padded with garbage ?
ROM hackers often need their own RAM. The current method is to pick a spot that looks empty (eg lots of 0x00s) and hope the game isn't actually storing anything important there.

This leads to fireworks glitches, script engine crashes, etc.

By this feature, I mean a tool that keeps count of the number of writes to each WRAM address. Run the game for a few hours, try and uncover every event, and then scan the results to find memory that the game never uses.

It's this, or expand SRAM and use the new SRAM data as your scratch RAM.
'R/W breakpoints to all memory types':

I assume by type you mean ROM, WRAM, SRAM, IRAM and co. and by R/W, "break on read from/write to *addr". if i'm wrong, please load MDR with correctitude bitchslap.
Yes, standard rwxv breakpoints. Break on:
[ X ] Read
[ ] Write
[ ] Execute
[ 0x55 ] Value
[ 0x028000 ] Addr
-> break when 0x55 is read from 0x028000.
'direct masked tracing':

elaborate on this one please, i can't even guess from the name.
Trace masking built into the emulator. Eg "we've already encountered the opcode at 0x208000, so don't disassemble it again to the trace log." And I'd like to further extend it to support ignoring only when PC matches the last N PC values to bypass those ~100,000 opcode "wait for NMI" loops that are oh-so-common, but not bypass the good stuffs.