All USB Controllers will not work

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Justa85

All USB Controllers will not work

Post by Justa85 »

All of a sudden, as i was playing my controller stopped working. When i try to go and calibrate it, every button is set to "J09". I have three controllers and this is happening to every one. This is what i've tried.

-Restarting my computer, multiple times
--After restarting keeping my controllers plugged in
----Had the same issue, click the button i want to change, and it goes to J09
----Unplug, and replug in, while zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) is running, then not running
--Using NONE and KEYBOARD/JOYSTICK option
----Anything i pressed went to J09
--After restarting without my controllers plugged in
----In the NONE and KEYBOARD/JOYSTICK options, i could choose any of my keyboard buttons
----After i shut down, plugged in any controller, and opened it, everything would go to J09
------Even after unplugging the controller, and opening it up, i couldn't even choose a keyboard key

-I tried a system restore
--having the exact same issues as above

-Downloaded an older version
--having the exact same issues as above

All of my controllers are of different brands, and have all worked before. I've never had this issue in the 5+ years i've used this program. As i said, i was playing and in the middle of playing, it just stopped and had this problem.

Yes my controllers have be re-calibrated, and when i plug them in, there are no buttons pressed, or joysticks moved to the side.
-- I even pressed all buttons in a rapid frustrating rage, and moved the joysticks to make sure nothing stuck.

After getting the same issue with all three controllers, i'm thinking it's a program issue. I've opened up Project64 and my controllers are all working fine.

And yes, all of my drivers are up to date.

I really hope someone can help me with any of this! I've never had a problem using the default settings. I've tried everything i can think of, but it's weird it did this as i was walking playing ff3.

Thank you anyone who can help! I'd really really appreciate it!

ryan
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: All USB Controllers will not work

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Sounds like an uncentered analog axis to me. You make no mention of the controller that has issues, so I assume it has a throttle slider or similar.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Justa85

Post by Justa85 »

**Update**

If i use any of the controllers on another computer, they work just fine. To be honest, i've had all these controllers for so long, i'm not sure what brand they are, and they do not say on them. But i realize it is not a controller issue. I've even unplugged my USB mouse to see if something is sticking, and again, not the issue. I'm not really a newb to any of this, but i've never encountered this issue ever... kinda frustrating and makes me sad. I don't wanna have to pull out my SNES to play games.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Justa85 wrote:**Update**

If i use any of the controllers on another computer, they work just fine. To be honest, i've had all these controllers for so long, i'm not sure what brand they are, and they do not say on them. But i realize it is not a controller issue. I've even unplugged my USB mouse to see if something is sticking, and again, not the issue. I'm not really a newb to any of this, but i've never encountered this issue ever... kinda frustrating and makes me sad.
It's extremely odd that they work with ZSNES elsewhere. All indication is the problem is in either the controller or ZSNES.
I don't wanna have to pull out my SNES to play games.
Have you tried SNES9x? It's a better emulator anyways.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads