bsnes2MESS

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

grinvader wrote:Because hogging a lot of information and thinking it's perfect is SOOOO GOOOOOOD

</saturn>
what you say? :wink:
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

byuu wrote:But what other reasons are there for not releasing one's sources? If it's not money, if it's not legal obligations, what is it? Why keep something secret? I'm not saying anyone should have to release their code -- I just want to know why they wouldn't.
1. The code is too 'crappy' for a public release. Think uncommented spaghetti.
2. They don't want to listen to any criticism on their code.
3. Not interested in helping people who may have mistreated the author in the past.
4. Something in the source goes against the 'ideals' of said community and they don't want backlash.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I'd imagine people who aren't releasing their source would have a variety of different reasons. Just because you or I can't think of them doesn't mean they aren't there. ;)

I know I can empathize from the perspective of not wanting to release something publicly because you don't want to listen to any backlash or criticism. It's a catch 22. You want to give to people, but you don't want the unnecessary negatives that can come with it. And because you don't want the negatives, you don't want to give.

This isn't even my debate since I'm really not involved in any of this stuff either way. But, somebody needs to speak up for the defense.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
byuu

Post by byuu »

I know I can empathize from the perspective of not wanting to release something publicly because you don't want to listen to any backlash or criticism.
Hahah, yeah. I probably would've taken a lot less crap if I just released my emulator as closed source. The ask permission clause drives GPL people crazy. Too bad, if the LGPL didn't have that "anyone can convert this to GPL later" clause, I would've probably just used that with a static link exemption for the core.

But I guess I can appreciate not wanting to hear people complain. There's some benefits, too. People will talk about how accurate it is, despite not really having any idea what they're talking about. You could add hacks and people would be none the wiser.
This isn't even my debate since I'm really not involved in any of this stuff either way. But, somebody needs to speak up for the defense.
That would be nice. It helps to hear the other side of the story to get a balanced view.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

MESS = Messy Emulator Stupid System

MESS = (Can anyone make something up too?) :twisted:
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
etabeta
Rookie

Post by etabeta »

no need to talk bad about programs you don't like or don't use... other people could simply think in a different way...
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

etabeta wrote:no need to talk bad about programs you don't like or don't use... other people could simply think in a different way...
Agreed. Also, no need for thread necromancy ;)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Verdauga Greeneyes wrote:
etabeta wrote:no need to talk bad about programs you don't like or don't use... other people could simply think in a different way...
Agreed. Also, no need for thread necromancy ;)
How is it necromancy, considering he wasn't the necromancer, and the poster above him posted two days ago?

that said, necro-bumps ALWAYS get countered with necro-locks.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.