Regen for Linux and Windows

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Yeah, you're right. I'll try and do that instead of crashing like an ass.

stay safe,

AamirM
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

AamirM wrote:Hi,

Yeah, you're right. I'll try and do that instead of crashing like an ass.

stay safe,

AamirM
You could add a "screen of death" explaining why\that the game crashed. so people don't come complaing that its a bug in Regen
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

"Hi, your game crashed because you got stupid and overclocked the virtual Genesis for some stupid reason. You suck."

>.> ;)
zack
Rookie

Post by zack »

It should be fixed in the latest beta 3. I added support for that in it.

stay safe,

AamirM
oh well, I've try the "Regen v0.93 Beta 3 (Release 2) pack" before I post last time.
And I've try it again.
I can't even save/load correctly in Shining Force now which should be fine with early version.
Actually, I've try shining force, hybrid front, ps4,the story of thor, none of them save/load correctly. :?

I didn't change any setting of regen.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,

Well, they are working fine here. Does anybody else having the same problems?

stay safe,

AamirM
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hello. This thread exceeds a memory limit and cannot be maintained. Please back it up if needed and start a new thread to talk about this emulator.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

lol does the server only have 32MB of memory or something?
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,
grinvader wrote:Hello. This thread exceeds a memory limit and cannot be maintained. Please back it up if needed and start a new thread to talk about this emulator.
Sure. But how to backup??

stay safe,

AamirM
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Mmm, probably can't without an administrator. Probably would be better to nuke the topic and start a-new. :) Just backup the first post, and that should suffice. :)
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
byuu

Post by byuu »

grinvader wrote:Hello. This thread exceeds a memory limit and cannot be maintained. Please back it up if needed and start a new thread to talk about this emulator.
That sounds familiar :)

How about a Regen board? Heheh.

"ZSNES board"
"ZSNES and other 16-bit related stuff."

And then once Gambatte and VBA-M grow large enough ...

"ZSNES board"
"Stuff. Lots of it."
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Sure. But how to backup??

stay safe,

AamirM
Go to every single page in this thread, then click file -> save page as (assuming you're using FireFox.)

Then put every single page in a ZIP file and throw it on rapidshare or something.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

byuu wrote:
That sounds familiar :)

How about a Regen board? Heheh.

"ZSNES board"
"ZSNES and other 16-bit related stuff."

And then once Gambatte and VBA-M grow large enough ...

"ZSNES board"
"Stuff. Lots of it."
ZSNES is becoming an emulation news hub.

Zophar Sucks, New Emulation Site?
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

Bad sound: :(

Castlevania Bloodlines, BGM 26 (aka the freaking awesome All Clear eight second anthem of life)

SuperHQ, very scratchy/distorted. It's supposed to sound really loud and amazing. Confirmed that distortion occurs in all possible sound modes.

By the way, did you know that changing the sound settings while a game is running disables all sound?
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

SmartOne wrote:Bad sound: :(

Castlevania Bloodlines, BGM 26 (aka the freaking awesome All Clear eight second anthem of life)

SuperHQ, very scratchy/distorted. It's supposed to sound really loud and amazing. Confirmed that distortion occurs in all possible sound modes.

By the way, did you know that changing the sound settings while a game is running disables all sound?
"Very scratchy/distorted"!? Sounds fine on my soundcard. Well, at least it sounds better that Gens....
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,
Go to every single page in this thread, then click file -> save page as (assuming you're using FireFox.)

Then put every single page in a ZIP file and throw it on rapidshare or something.
Isn't there a way to display all the posts in one page? (kinda like "Flat Mode" on some other boards and like the bsnes backup). Saving/viewing will be a lot easier for me. Sorry if I asked a too dumb/obvious question.
Bad sound: Sad

Yes, it does sound a little bit distorted. I wouldn't say "very distorted". But then again, something with that high total level and low frequency is bound to be distorted a bit on YM2612. Kega seems to apply some filtering to remove it maybe. But as such, I don't think this is a core problem. I may try and fix it at a later time.

stay safe,

AamirM
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Isn't there a way to display all the posts in one page? (kinda like "Flat Mode" on some other boards and like the bsnes backup). Saving/viewing will be a lot easier for me. Sorry if I asked a too dumb/obvious question.
The BSNES thread was dumped as a single monolithic page.
I'm not sure how it was done, but the same should apply here.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

someone temporarily changed the # of posts per page setting on the board. thats how it was done before.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

franpa wrote:someone temporarily changed the # of posts per page setting on the board. thats how it was done before.
I checked the thread.

There was discussion about doing that, that was quickly shot down as a Bad Idea(tm).
Then discussion of making a custom script to suck it down and truncate it.
Then the archive ends.
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

Castlevania Bloodlines BGM 26 doesn't sound scratchy on real hardware. But maybe it should from a "pristine" YM2612. I don't know.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,
SmartOne wrote:Castlevania Bloodlines BGM 26 doesn't sound scratchy on real hardware. But maybe it should from a "pristine" YM2612. I don't know.
Well, I'll look into that a bit later then. I have been working on some other things.

I just made some changes today to the sources which will allow me to add emulation of other machines (32x, SCD, MasterSystem, SG-1000 etc..) a bit easily now.

Also, I've been working on Regen+ (Regen/GTK+ for linux and other OS :) ). It is going very well now. The hard part was the starting but now the base is there so hopefully everything will be easy to add now except for the dialogs maybe.... since I am not using Glade and doing everything by hand. Hopefully in two or three days I will have OpenGL and Xvideo as well. Right now there are two options SDL and GTK+'s own bitmap API. I may add other sound APIs as well but SDL seems to work pretty well at this so I don't see much need for this. But there must be some reason byuu implemented others :) .

Unexpectedly, with just two #ifdefs the GTK+ port works great on the Windows as well (though there seem to be little quirks with resizing and maximizing).

So that was a little update on what I am doing right now.

stay safe,

AamirM
byuu

Post by byuu »

SDL seems to work pretty well at this so I don't see much need for this. But there must be some reason byuu implemented others
Try stretching the video to 3-4x scale. You won't get 60fps even if your emulator only uses ~3% CPU time. It also doesn't use bilinear filtering. If you want to do that by hand, expect it to be even slower.
Unexpectedly, with just two #ifdefs the GTK+ port works great on the Windows as well (though there seem to be little quirks with resizing and maximizing).
I thought about that, the problem is the UI just looks too strange on Windows. Since it makes up ~95+% market share, you want it to look the best, so you have to have the Win32 version, too. Which you do, so no problem there.
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Yeah, it would be nice if there was a way where you can have a single codebase where you can basically update the Linux and Windows versions at the same time (perhaps a port for OSX too?). :P In fact, somebody recently released a version of Gens called Gens/GS to eventually maintain it into a single codebase for both Windows and Linux, which is powered by the GTK+ UI. ;)

Actually, I'd love to eventually test a Windows working version of Regen+ to see how nice it plays. ;)
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

I am amazing.

stay safe,

AamirM
Fix'D. Thanks so much for putting the time into this port. I can't wait to see it!
I bring the trouble.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,
AamirM wrote: I may add other sound APIs as well but SDL seems to work pretty well at this so I don't see much need for this. But there must be some reason byuu implemented others Smile .
byuu wrote:Try stretching the video to 3-4x scale. You won't get 60fps even if your emulator only uses ~3% CPU time. It also doesn't use bilinear filtering. If you want to do that by hand, expect it to be even slower.
[insert a franpa alert][/insert a franpa alert]

I was talking about sound APIs :) :) . [/joke] (sound API part was serious though)
I thought about that, the problem is the UI just looks too strange on Windows. Since it makes up ~95+% market share, you want it to look the best, so you have to have the Win32 version, too. Which you do, so no problem there.
You're right. It does look awful by default. But with a little playing I got it to look like this:

This looks better IMO.
Yeah, it would be nice if there was a way where you can have a single codebase where you can basically update the Linux and Windows versions at the same time (perhaps a port for OSX too?). Razz In fact, somebody recently released a version of Gens called Gens/GS to eventually maintain it into a single codebase for both Windows and Linux, which is powered by the GTK+ UI. Wink
You have even a bigger example of bsnes here which does this using hiro. But its using Win32 in Windows and GTK+ on Linux. But it could use GTK+ for windows as well (and maybe win32 on linux using Winelib??). Can't tell about OS X since I have zero experience with it. But I think GTK+ could work on that too(?).

stay safe,

AamirM
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

If I recall, byuu implemented a bajillion sound drivers because everyone was coming back saying "My Linux build doesn't work right with OSS/SDL/ALSA/WTF and bsnes"