NullDC makes Soinc Adventure impossible to complete

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Mind you I haven't played sonic adventure since around 2004, but I don't recall the pc version being crap in windows xp. I even played it with a gamepad which was nice. If there were any major bugs there's probably patches to fix them.

Edit: If you'd like to know the difference between the original and the DX game all the changes are at the bottom of the wikipedia article. Mind you I have the original dreamcast game too and they both play just as good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Adve ... or.27s_Cut
Last edited by powerspike on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

it's too hard for me to explain, it's best if you just download it and try it yourself.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

I've just finished playing the PC and Dreamcast original GD-ROM disk franpa. The analogue controls were a bit more sensitive in the pc version, but it didn't ruin the game at all for me. The gameplay itself is pretty much unchanged. I would of played more then the first level in both, but my dreamcast reset itself after I beat the first level (I'm sure it's dieing). Does it still have the chao raising game? Er not that I played it much anyway since I found it to be boring. One thing I thought was a bit annoying about the pc version was it wasn't so obvious how to change the game controls. Normally I expect them to be in the option menu at the beginning of the game, but you have to pause in the middle of the game to change them. The graphics in the PC one are also a lot less dumpy then the Dreamcast game. At any rate It's pretty much your call neo_bahamut1985.. I didn't find anything horribly wrong with the pc version from what I tried.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Finding a good rip (torrent) is hard, but I'll go find one anyway..
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

It's not hard if you know where to look *cough* *cough*. Er I mean you really should just buy the game.. gotta support sega and all. :V
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Uh...yeah. Anyways, I'll just get the torrent *cough**cough*; in addition I hope Sega releases a decent Sonic game soon...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

sega needs cash for that, and your reducing there income which reduces the money they can spend on development.
Last edited by franpa on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Uh...yeah. Anyways, I'll just get the torrent *cough**cough*; in addition I hope Sega releases a decent Sonic game soon...
You didn't check your private messages. : )
franpa wrote:sonic needs cash for that, and your reducing there income which reduces the money they can spend on development.
Edited;

You must of missed my little sarcastic smiley. But yeah I do know it supports the companies. I'm just not very fond of sega anymore plus I'm the kind of person who will pay for something when they feel like it. I've already pumped tons of money into sega anyway.
Last edited by powerspike on Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Ah, crap, sorry! Didn't see the PM there! Okay, thanks, I'll check it out. Now if only Square Enix was smart and release the FF series on the VC....(off topic complaining only). But yeah, you're right about Sega's games of late. Heck, I still play the Sega Megadrive/Genesis ones and never get sick of them!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

franpa wrote:sonic needs cash for that, and your reducing there income which reduces the money they can spend on development.
How does pirating an out-of-print game that Sega isn't selling reduce their cash flow?

Or are you saying he should buy bad Sonic games so Sega can afford to make good games because the bad ones sell good?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

they made bad games because of piracy in the first place >.>
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

They make bad games because they're NAZI HITLER.

Thread now resumes previous topic or dies.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Hopefully, Sonic will run fine on the computer and if not, perhaps I'll just use the real version.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

You could always try another dreamcast emulator too. There's quite a few to chose from. lxdream (linux), Makaron, demul and I'm pretty sure everyone knows about chankast. I know at least Maakon has higher compatibility then the other ones, but nullDC still comes out on top. I might be forced to switch over to dreamcast emulators if my system ends up dieing. Too bad I'll probably have no way to dump my 14 original games. I've seen those BBA's sell for like 100's of dollars.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

I'd use Makaron if it didn't crash. I've a freakin 3.20 ghz Pentium IV (64-bit) CPU, an nVidia 7800 GT w/256 MB GDDR-3 RAM and1024MB RAM on WinXP home edition SP2. So, unless someone can tell me how to run that emulator, I'm sticking with the PC version. I got past the light speed dash part okay.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

the fact that your cpu is 64bit is pointless since most pentium 4's that are either 2.8ghz or better generation are 64bit and your using windows xp home which is only 32 bit.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

My point was the fact that this PC is powerful enough shouldn't be a reason for Makaron not to run. Others like nullDC run fine, but as I said in my original post, the emulator prevents the game from being completed. Not only that, but, I got myself a torrent and the PC version runs flawless, so, it doesn't have emulator-related bugs. If Makaron does better, I'd like to hear it. From now on I will make no mention of 64-bit.
Last edited by neo_bahamut1985 on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You cannot run a 64-bit app on a 32-bit OS.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

franpa wrote:most pentium 4's that are either 2.8ghz or better generation are 64bit

None of the socket 478 P4s have 64-bit capability. (Note that this constitutes 5 2.8GHz P4 models, two 3.0 models, three 3.2 models, and three 3.4 models, for a total of 13 models.)

Now, for LGA775: For the 500-series P4s: if the last digit is a 1 or 6, the processor has 64-bit capability. Otherwise, it doesn't. All 600-series P4s have 64-bit capability. None of the Extreme Editions are 64-bit.

Total for LGA775: 15 with 64-bit, 14 without.

Final tally: 15 models with 64-bit support, 27 without.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Okay, okay, can't we stop talking about the whole 64-bit thing already?! I was just complaining that Makaron does not work. Period.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Okay, okay, can't we stop talking about the whole 64-bit thing already?! I was just complaining that Makaron does not work. Period.
Not when there's a reason to bash franpa in the process.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

sweener2001 wrote:playing games on a CD-R completely works. there's no protection on the disc, as the GD-ROM was supposed to be protection enough.

most games aren't even bigger than a CD, anyway. i have yet to see one that was, actually.
yeah but there are still plenty that are too big for a cd and they are a bitch, dumpers would just cut out content that they deemed unecissary (of course they still leave in their intro "haxxored by ME!")

which is a shame, because the internet is filled with those dumps that have been butchered to fit on a CD but what we really need now that we can emulate is FULL dumps.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Panzer88 wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:playing games on a CD-R completely works. there's no protection on the disc, as the GD-ROM was supposed to be protection enough.

most games aren't even bigger than a CD, anyway. i have yet to see one that was, actually.
yeah but there are still plenty that are too big for a cd and they are a bitch, dumpers would just cut out content that they deemed unecissary (of course they still leave in their intro "haxxored by ME!")

which is a shame, because the internet is filled with those dumps that have been butchered to fit on a CD but what we really need now that we can emulate is FULL dumps.
Actually, it depends on the specific hack.

The better dump/hacks re-encoded things to be lossier, but still fit. And favored the crude bitmap logo firmware splash(shows up next to "produced by or under licensed from SEGA") instead of a nasty intro.

but yeah, emus deserve full GB rips.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

true true
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

I've taken out a few of those echelon hacks. It's fucking irritating having the game crash or whatever on my real system. There's ones that you can't even fix either like skys of arcadia since they had to hack in some compression routines to make everything fit on cd's. It runs horribly slow though I guess on the good side it's impressive how they managed to make it fit in the first place.