Spin The Black Circle

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

byuu

Spin The Black Circle

Post by byuu »

Okay, a flash game, but I thought you guys might like it. I had a blast. It is fuck all hard, though. Someone needs to tell the author that insane difficulty makes games less enjoyable, not more.

http://www.wickedsmallgames.com/games/s ... ck-circle/

After failing miserably at Mystical Balloon, Hua Rong Dao (Chinese Klotski), and Desktop Tower Defense, it was a real treat to finally beat one of these "impossible" games. I'm also curious how many savants we have that can beat it in 30 minutes or less.

And of course, the real reason I posted, bragging rights and time comparisons :)

Took me about 3-4 hours to clear. Very appropriate game completion message, wish I would've grabbed a screenshot. Beating it a second time didn't show it again. It was something along the lines of, "Congratulations, you have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder!" :D

Score 1
Score 2
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

not in answer to your question, and a little off topic.
my favourite flash games are those.... i don't what you call'em.
y'know Funky Truck and those BMX and snow boarding games, do you know the ones i'm taking about?
Just thought id take this opportunity to bring up flash games ;)
Last edited by declan on Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware means nothing if you don't have good software.
Compare the success of SNES over Genisis
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Very nice game.
Got to the last stage and found how to clear it, but momentum-screwing ultrasucking one-way walls aren't fun.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

I love physics games. It's very similar to Cameltry.

How does it save your scores? By IP address on a central server? Or a cookie? Because I can't find a cookie for that web site.

This might be old news to the people around here, but another great physics (java) game:
chir.ag/stuff/sand/
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

Jipcy wrote:I love physics games. It's very similar to Cameltry.

How does it save your scores? By IP address on a central server? Or a cookie? Because I can't find a cookie for that web site.

This might be old news to the people around here, but another great physics (java) game:
chir.ag/stuff/sand/
how about this:

in addition to the great "features" like disallowing the play button in the right-click menu and stealing the right click in general, flash programs are allowed to store information on your hard-disk just like cookies.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I played that game a bit last week, but I could think of better ways to spend my gaming time.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

I wouldn't say it's super-hard, but the difficulty's definitely up there. I got a fair way through it, and was having fun, but unfortunately I just haven't had enough time to see how far I can go.

That's how a lot of the games I play end up, now that I think of it.
HOW ARE YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN
byuu

Post by byuu »

I wouldn't say it's super-hard, but the difficulty's definitely up there. I got a fair way through it, and was having fun, but unfortunately I just haven't had enough time to see how far I can go.
It gets progressively harder. The hardest level by far, for me anyway, was level 22. I just don't have the timing, so I had to play it 100 times -- finally beat it with luck, not skill.
It's very similar to Cameltry.
Exactly what I was thinking. I recall some people really liked that game here.
Got to the last stage and found how to clear it, but momentum-screwing ultrasucking one-way walls aren't fun.
Level 24's not too bad. Takes about 20 minutes to get the hang of it. I'm very impressed you could make it to 24 and then walk away, heh. I wish I could do that -- the further I got, the more determined I was to finish it at all costs x.x
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Nice game. :) Named after the Pearl Jam song of the same name too. :D
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Having some trouble on Level 16. Any help?

Total time so far: 3:36:60. I assume that's the sum of the best times? Because I've definitely been playing it longer than that.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
byuu

Post by byuu »

If 16 is the one where you roll off the edge and have to turn quickly to avoid 180 degrees of spikes ...

I just kept trying and eventually got it. Took about 50 tries, you have to have it exactly right. I tried to look up some help for you, a couple forums said to turn up the keyboard repeat rate to help out. Note that I didn't have to do this, but it apparently makes it easier if you do this.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I got up tot he levels where you had to avoid the flames and then lost interest due to lack of patience. ;) Pretty neat though.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

byuu wrote:I'm very impressed you could make it to 24 and then walk away, heh. I wish I could do that -- the further I got, the more determined I was to finish it at all costs x.x
It highly depends what I'm playing - I used to stay hooked on a console game until I cleared it or dropped asleep, when I could pull that sort of shit.

(<- 70 hours FF7 clear in one sitting, woo)

The past 1.5 years I had to leave after big apple time*, though. Fulltime job wants its beauty sleep.

*: Nach can explain, while he's around. ;p
Hint: it involves pizzas.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

grinvader wrote:It highly depends what I'm playing - I used to stay hooked on a console game until I cleared it or dropped asleep, when I could pull that sort of shit.

How in the fuck did you ever have that kind of time to waste? It took me two weeks to put in 35 hours.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Long weekend?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

alexz721 wrote:
grinvader wrote:It highly depends what I'm playing - I used to stay hooked on a console game until I cleared it or dropped asleep, when I could pull that sort of shit.

How in the fuck did you ever have that kind of time to waste? It took me two weeks to put in 35 hours.
It took me two years to put in ~110 h. The complete story involves a broken VCR and an old TV.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

alexz721 wrote:How in the fuck did you ever have that kind of time to waste?
At one time I was almost done graduating and not working on zsnes or anything else. Spent my days gaming and trying weird sleep cycles.

Also a decent amount of sugar kicks me into high gear mode, which is usually how I stay focused on one thing for a loooong time.

(<- also did stupid like one-sitting 100% spyro runs, one sitting >206%/195% SotN runs, naked alucard galamoth pwns, months of massgrinding in disgaea & co., made a whole set of ultimate weapons & armor in vagrant story, went through parasite eve 4 times for the awesome murderous rampage, got almost every final weapon maxed in dark cloud 2, and going... and going...)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

stale
Rookie

Post by stale »

If you liked this game, then I'm here to tell you about

On The Ball,

the classic, unknown SNES masterpiece. It's the same idea as this game, but bigger, and without the constant death that this flash game has. Plus, it has gravity control, pinball-style bumping, and an Engrish fortune teller.

try it !!
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Ok... and where can it be found?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

franpa wrote:Ok... and where can it be found?
Is that a ROM request?
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

On the Ball? I'm sure you meant to say Cameltry.

</pretension>
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Oh, i misread it, i thought On The Ball was the flash game... just ignore ^
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Fun game. I played this today, and after roughly 2 hours I got to around level 20 and stopped. When I returned later, my progress was somehow deleted. Fortunately, I was able to work my way back to level 20 again in about 30 minutes.

Now I'm stuck on level 23...
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Woo, beat it! Nice game. :D

Combined best times: 9:04:04

About 3 hours real time as well, I think.

(edit: shaved a bit off my time in a few levels: 8:17:39. Yay!)
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
byuu

Post by byuu »

(<- also did stupid like one-sitting 100% spyro runs, one sitting >206%/195% SotN runs, naked alucard galamoth pwns, months of massgrinding in disgaea & co., made a whole set of ultimate weapons & armor in vagrant story, went through parasite eve 4 times for the awesome murderous rampage, got almost every final weapon maxed in dark cloud 2, and going... and going...)
Heh, most I've done was getting one character in FF3 NDS to level 99 / Onion Knight with complete Onion Armor set (had two swords / blades (whichever was the stronger one that dropped on the dragons) and two shields) -- before even beating the dark cloud (1HP damage from an end-game boss -- ouch). Soloed the Iron Giant that way. Very easy with two Onion Shields and 99 Elixers.
the classic, unknown SNES masterpiece. It's the same idea as this game, but bigger, and without the constant death that this flash game has. Plus, it has gravity control, pinball-style bumping, and an Engrish fortune teller.
Cameltry was way too easy, and moved too slowly. I beat it on my very first try, and I suck at games.