Zsnes won't recognize ps3 controller at all

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

benny44

Zsnes won't recognize ps3 controller at all

Post by benny44 »

Alright, so I've been searching for a couple days but nothing seems to work. Zsnes will NOT recognize my PS3 controller. The only button that works is the middle playstation button. No other buttons will register at all when I try to configure it. I am running Lubuntu, and I have QTSixa installed. I'm not trying to hook it up via bluetooth, I just want it through USB. I have a retro snes usb controller that works fine, and I've tried it using different ports, including the same one I use for the snes controller. I have tried all sorts of suggestions, but none work. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, I am not tech saavy, so feel free to answer me like you are talking to a 3 year old :D
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Zsnes won't recognize ps3 controller at all

Post by grinvader »

Check if it works for other SDL-based applications.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

benny44 wrote: Also, I am not tech saavy, so feel free to answer me like you are talking to a 3 year old :D
Hello! Are you lost? Let's go find your mother!

Okay, now that THAT'S out of my system... it is my recollection that a PlayStation 3 controller presents unusual difficulties to normal gaming usage because Sony decided EVERYTHING needs to be an analog axis. So it can sometimes wind up being mapped as more analog axes than you can shake a stick at and nothing else.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
benny44

Post by benny44 »

I AM lost. But I don't need my mother :lol: . So, first off, what do you mean by other SDL based applications? I play hedgewars, and it picks up my controller. But, as Mr.Hamilton mentioned, it has all those axises (axes?), and since that game doesn't let you input your controls using the controller like ZSNES does it makes it very difficult to configure. I just broke down last night and ordered another retro snes usb controller off of Amazon, but I would still like to get this PS3 one working, if it is possible. Thanks!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

benny44 wrote:I AM lost. But I don't need my mother :lol: .
I couldn't resist.
So, first off, what do you mean by other SDL based applications? I play hedgewars, and it picks up my controller. But, as Mr.Hamilton mentioned, it has all those axises (axes?), and since that game doesn't let you input your controls using the controller like ZSNES does it makes it very difficult to configure. I just broke down last night and ordered another retro snes usb controller off of Amazon, but I would still like to get this PS3 one working, if it is possible. Thanks!
Yeah, the PS3 pad is somewhat hit-and-miss because of Sony's analog fetish.
ZSNES SHOULD let you assign analog axes to buttons, but it's a weird feature and has historically been quite troublesome for a multitude of reasons.

There's PROBABLY some software to force it to appear as a PROPER gamepad with ACTUAL BUTTONS, but I wouldn't know where to begin looking.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
benny44

Post by benny44 »

OK, thanks. I might try again on a rainy day sometime, but it isn't the end of the world. I will post here if I manage to do it. Once I get the 2nd controller I will be good to go anyway. Thanks for your help and quick responses!
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Someone on IRC got it to work after updating their xboxdrv.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54