bsnes v0.031 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

byuu wrote:Only problem is it's a bit mysterious to people who don't know how it works. If they delete the config file, they won't see it come back, yet the emulator will keep saving their settings.
add an option to the GUI that lets you choose where to save settings?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

franpa wrote:
byuu wrote:Only problem is it's a bit mysterious to people who don't know how it works. If they delete the config file, they won't see it come back, yet the emulator will keep saving their settings.
add an option to the GUI that lets you choose where to save settings?
And where is this setting stored?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by franpa »

by default, in the USER folder but it's location can be customized.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
byuu

Post by byuu »

neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

AamirM wrote:
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:
Franky wrote: The screenshot byuu showed was bsnes running on linux.
I thought it was on XP, but either way, my question was how to get XP to display Japanese characters in programs such as emulators.
Hi,

If the emu supports unicode. Right click on desktop->Properties->Appearance->Advanced->Select 'Menu' from the 'Item' drop down list-> Change font to MS Mincho (or some other that supports Japanese). Now load the emu select the Japanese language translation from it. You can similarly change the font of other items as well. Thats how I do it.

stay safe,

AamirM

Hey, thanks, that worked out fine!
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

byuu wrote: In Linux, binaries are placed in /usr/bin. No user data goes there, and the folder itself lacks write capabilities (unless you're root, or go crazy with chown.) Put simply, the config file cannot exist in the same folder as the binary.

I standardized on a common location for all platforms for the sake of consistency. I realize it's very unpopular on Windows. But maybe we can come up with something ... I suppose it'd be easy enough to allow the user to place a config file next to the executable, and use that if it exists. Otherwise, fall back on the .bsnes/bsnes.cfg file. If both do not exist, prompt the user with an "initial setup" window of sorts. Meh, who knows.
Would it really be that annoying to treat the Windows package like the Mac build and customize some functions before release? Obviously, the changes aren't going to be anywhere near as drastic, but I'm drawing an analogy here. Linux and Windows have file structures and user expectations that are inconsistent with each other, so I don't see how getting a barbie doll for Susie and Tommy is the best strategy. Otherwise, have fun cooking up elaborate schemes to get around this.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

byuu wrote:
- BSNES checks it's own folder on startup, Then the USER folder and then the configured path if the config file exists in either of the first 2 spots. once the config file path is specified, bsnes copies the config file and deletes the one in the old location.
- the config file is by default stored in your user folder
- an option to change the location of the file is added to BSNES

all good?
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

I do not see how Linux and Windows differs so much.
Linux keeps binaries in one system specific location, Windows too.
Linux keeps the settings in two places, a system specific place and an user specific place, Windows too.
Linux keeps application data files in one system specific location, but Windows in a system specific location and an user specific location.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

henke37 wrote:I do not see how Linux and Windows differs so much.
Linux keeps binaries in one system specific location, Windows too.
Linux keeps the settings in two places, a system specific place and an user specific place, Windows too.
Linux keeps application data files in one system specific location, but Windows in a system specific location and an user specific location.
its easier for windows, not as much for linux.

The question really is who install the app. if its not root on linux, then all three are going to be in the user's home folder(or any where the user has write access) - installing files outside of those locations requires root access. This situation can technically happen under windows as well, but less likely

that makes the location of the config file an config option at worst, an install option at best.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

franpa wrote:... and then the configured path ...
Let me rephrase what Nach said: How does bsnes know what this configured path is? By reading a setting from a cfg file. Where is this cfg file stored? It can't be the configured path, because that could be anything, and bsnes wouldn't be able to find it. So you're back to square one, except you now have two cfg files: one at a location bsnes knows to look, such as the bin or user folder, and one at the configured path.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Build-time option.

Code: Select all

--with-zconf-path=PATH  Path for configuration files [~/.zsnes]
Or even, runtime option. Nothing prevents you from doing bsnes -cf %CONFIG% -rf %RAWM% or similar.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/images/b ... 080518.png

No reason to post a new WIP for this. Still not quite finished. I have to translate the input control list names, the input capture window text, and the unsupported special chip messages.

I'm not going to touch the advanced descriptions. Those change all of the time anyway.

---

grinvader, very interesting idea with the build-time option. I don't like the command-line option at all, though. I really doubt even Linux users would create shell scripts to automate that, and I question if more than 10% of Windows users are capable of that.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Verdauga Greeneyes wrote:
franpa wrote:... and then the configured path ...
Let me rephrase what Nach said: How does bsnes know what this configured path is? By reading a setting from a cfg file. Where is this cfg file stored? It can't be the configured path, because that could be anything, and bsnes wouldn't be able to find it. So you're back to square one, except you now have two cfg files: one at a location bsnes knows to look, such as the bin or user folder, and one at the configured path.
If no config file is found and no cutom path is found then it will create a new folder in the default location (user folder).
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

franpa wrote:If no config file is found and no cutom path is found then it will create a new folder in the default location (user folder).
You're not listening to me - if bsnes doesn't find a config file in the first place, it can't possibly find a custom path either, because such a setting would be saved in a config file.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

shush! ._.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

This is where franpa forgot about the chicken or the egg problem.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Deathlike2 wrote:This is where franpa forgot about the chicken or the egg problem.
What else is new?

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9697

However, don't count out these two things:
https://zsnes.bountysource.com/svn/!sou ... onfloc.psr
https://zsnes.bountysource.com/svn/!sou ... rc/zpath.c
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by henke37 »

So, if you are going to translate bsnes to Japanese, why not some other languages? The least I can do is do the Swedish translation if you want one.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

henke37 wrote:So, if you are going to translate bsnes to Japanese, why not some other languages?
Waste of time? :P

Seriously, how many people age 12 to 40 do you know who doesn't understand English far better than needed for using an emulator?
byuu

Post by byuu »

So, if you are going to translate bsnes to Japanese, why not some other languages? The least I can do is do the Swedish translation if you want one.
I'd like as many translations as possible, actually. I just have to finish a single localization first, that way I can give out the file I need people to translate :)

I'd be very gracious if you translated that file to Swedish when it's ready.
Seriously, how many people age 12 to 40 do you know who doesn't understand English far better than needed for using an emulator?
I've seen multiple copies of bsnes that have been hex edited to display all text in simplified Chinese, so much so that when a new version is released by me, people ask how much longer it will be until it is translated.

And even if everyone understands English, this doesn't hurt. It's just some people volunteering CFG files, I post them on my website, and that's that. A nice way of respecting other countries and making things a bit easier on users.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Deathlike2 wrote:This is where franpa forgot about the chicken or the egg problem.
lmao ;)
byuu

Post by byuu »

Okay, I've posted a new WIP, which has a completed locale.cfg file. Well, it's completed for v032, at least. All translations are going to have to be updated for every release, sadly.

For those interested in translating it, I'm looking to only have native speakers perform translations. I don't care if things aren't a perfect literal translation, so long as the general idea gets across. But I don't want anyone using machine translation tools, either. They're very unprofessional, better to wait until someone fluent comes along. Yes, I know that's ironic given my translation to Japanese: hoping someone will re-do that one.

The reference locale file is here:
http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/temp/locale.cfg

Format is obviously UTF-8. Yours will need to be in this format as well. Any local encodings will fail miserably.

You can see most of the options in bsnes v031 to see where they come into play. I have them mostly sorted per window. Some windows share the same string. I doubt that's going to be a problem, but we'll see.

If you have access to the WIPs, be sure to get the latest one to test with. If not, and you're willing to translate the UI, feel free to PM me and I'll happily send you a link to it.

I've added a "Localization by:" field to the about screen. Please feel free to add your name there.

Next up, I'm trying something a bit different for the config files, and I've updated readme.txt to reflect this:

bsnes will now check in the same folder as the executable for bsnes.cfg and locale.cfg. If they're found, bsnes will use these files. If they are not found, it will use your user profile folder for storage.

So, if you want bsnes to run in single-user mode, just make sure bsnes.cfg and/or locale.cfg exist. If not, you can create a blank file and bsnes will use that next time you run it. If you want multi-user mode, delete the files. If you want multiple profiles, use single-user mode and multiple copies of the executable.

I'll be distributing future Windows binaries with blank bsnes.cfg and locale.cfg files, so that single-user mode is the default. Just delete them to switch to the old method if you prefer. Hopefully this pleases everyone.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

The only problem I can see with this is that someone could delete the bsnes cfg as a way to return everything to default (or in a hopeless attempt to solve an unrelated issue), expecting the same behavior as other emulators (for it to come back) only to have it not come back, but regenerate itself in the hidden folder. At which point they will come in here and moan.
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

It's actually pretty difficult to translate everything to dutch...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

make bsnes pop up a warning message upon run if no config file is found in either location? easy way to tell the user where the file is moved to.