Over-accuracy debate

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

byuu wrote:... you want to continue with the high-level emulation? No, the individual instructions of the chip need to be figured out precisely, and emulated using pure software. No video cards, no pixel shaders, pure math. But speed is obviously a major problem here.
The way I see it, the "level" of emulation used does not necessarily indicate the level of accuracy. Often the two are correlated, but they don't have to be.

The DSPs on SNES carts are black boxes. They have input, output, and some unknown internal state. The SNES game can not directly read what this internal state is. This doesn't mean that emulating it in a way that would provide consistent results with what an SNES would under any circumstances requires emulating this internal state at the opcode level of its processor.

Knowing the low level details may give you a better insight at properly modeling the timing information to make the emulation correct. But that doesn't mean that it can't be determined through other means. This is especially true if the timing is rather flat and deterministic, rather than relying on existing state (ie, taking N cycles for each function). My guess would be that not enough has been done to measure the timing of the chips from the SNES's perspective, or else I doubt there would be noticeable errors.

If you require that emulation be done at a lower level than it is done at, arbitrarily, then who is to say that the level you require is low enough? Should it not be done at the microcode, gate, transistor level, molecular, atomic, sub-atomic levels?

I find it rather curious that you often remark on preserving hardware over software. I have to wonder, does emulation really preserve hardware? Surely the instruction set, timing, interaction details that an emulator preserves are mere (relatively) high level consequences of low level circuitry. A gate or transistor level schematic would be closer, but an exact copy of the a piece of hardware could never be made, as if they were exact copies of each other to begin with. I think we both realize that none of this is very important.

Over the years there have been countless designs of digital circuitry, and a majority of these will be forgotten in due time. For all practical purposes almost no one will care. If preserving hardware is the true goal of emulation then I ask why the hardware is worth preserving any more than the circuitry in my watch. Game hardware is a means to an end, to allow us to run software that has been written for it. This is why we are comfortable with using emulators, which do not resemble the original hardware in any way. I believe that what you wish to preserve is the ability to run the software, and this means any software that ever has been or will be ran on it, with no discernible variation from the way it would run on original.

It's no real secret that I'm unhappy about the trend of obsession with accuracy in emulators, when many of the people demanding this don't actually understand what it is they're demanding. I think that part of this is an attempt for people to distance themselves from those who pirate software (of course, "preserving" a platform still means that there's an intention software for it will be obtained, for free, one day in the future). Another part is perfectionism, as well as mob mentality (why it's basically taboo to think NESticle isn't an abomination, regardless of whether or not you were around when it was by far the best NES emulator, and a milestone one at that).

I do agree that the N64 emulation scene isn't really what it could be, but the same goes for a number of platforms. Not everything can have reverse engineering efforts like NES (or even SNES), and I wish some people would realize this. I personally would be thrilled if more testing was done with PC-Engine, so I didn't have to get people to run test code just to grasp at some numbers.

In theory low level emulation of N64's RSP may never be needed to run all software written for N64 100% accurately. It's just probably easier to do this than to reverse engineer all of the custom microcodes and model the timing exactly. Of course this wouldn't hold for any homebrew author that does his/her own microcode in the future, but let's be realistic here. N64 homebrew never was exactly thriving, and it doesn't look like it has much of a future.

(I'm just tired of people calling an emulator worthless when it isn't up to their gold standard of "accuracy")
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

In theory low level emulation of N64's RSP may never be needed to run all software written for N64 100% accurately. It's just probably easier to do this than to reverse engineer all of the custom microcodes and model the timing exactly. Of course this wouldn't hold for any homebrew author that does his/her own microcode in the future, but let's be realistic here. N64 homebrew never was exactly thriving, and it doesn't look like it has much of a future.
That I agree with. Though Jabo managed to RE the RSP quite well in his emulator, but I daresay the only problems with his code is audio/core timing, which shows in games like Top Gear Rally. Sure, his beta code is a lot better than it was in 1.6, but there's still a fair way to go.
(I'm just tired of people calling an emulator worthless when it isn't up to their gold standard of "accuracy")
Same here, I am sick and tired of cycle-accuracy zealots denoucing any other emulator that doesn't use this approach. It sickens me to say the least.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i enjoy accuracy in that it ensures the playability of the games.

the idea of a program acting just like the snes(or whatever) appeals to me. the extra features are also very nice. i just don't like hacks that much because of the psx and n64 scenes. "inaccurate" emulation is the cause for plugins, and different configurations for different games. more accurate emulation brings programs like psX to the fore, where one configuration will do just fine. i think i'm right on that, not 100%, though.

but i also like my bells and whistles. save states, movie recording, screen grabs, sound rips, fast forward, rewind, filters, i love it.

i basically stand in both camps, because i think it's all about the games, and making it the best experience possible.

i've never gotten big into n64 emulation, because it was such a mess
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

mudlord wrote:
Same here, I am sick and tired of cycle-accuracy zealots denoucing any other emulator that doesn't use this approach. It sickens me to say the least.
Sure, but the Nesticle reference is invalid for the comparison, simply because ROM alterations had to be instituted for the emu to "work properly". Mind you, that's not my cup of tea.

I think some people do overly obsess about older emus "inaccuracies" simply because it's not up to "insert golden emu here". It's one of those "who's better" kinds of attitudes.. which is not a good way of looking at things. Older emus deserve respect for what they have contributed to the emulation scene, even if what they have is not "up to par" with an established emu.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

sweener2001 wrote:"inaccurate" emulation is the cause for plugins, and different configurations for different games.
Using plugins doesn't make an emulator any less accurate. All plugins do is allow for modularity in how certain parts of the emulator are implemented, giving end users a choice of which "component emulators" to use. It also allows for the workload involved in making an emulator to be shared without the complications involved in sharing source outright.

It's true that say, PSEmuPro GPU plugins often sacrifice some level of accuracy to enhance the appearance of the game. But this is meant to be optional, hence the reason why the plugin system was implemented. Plugins were actually a major asset to PS1 emulation because they allowed a lot of the work that went towards improving PSEmuPro to carry over to ePSXe, PCSX, PSXeven, etc. If you don't like having to configure them for every game then you can stick with a software rendering plugin and a few baseline settings that will probably give you something similar to pSX for most games. pSX might have an accuracy edge over ePSXe (this is bound to happen with a much newer emulator) but I doubt it even comes close to what NES emu authors insist upon these days, which tends to be entirely unnecessary for all PS1 games.
Deathlike2 wrote:Sure, but the Nesticle reference is invalid for the comparison, simply because ROM alterations had to be instituted for the emu to "work properly". Mind you, that's not my cup of tea.
I've heard that said before here and it sounds like a total myth. At the very least, I never had to patch my ROMs for them to work on NESticle, and until I came here I never heard anything about this. NESticle was a popular emulator, it wouldn't surprise me if some game was eventually hacked to run on it long after development for it stopped. But I really doubt that it was ever made with this intention in mind. You can't fault the emulator for other people doing things like this, nor can you really fault a 1997 NES emulator for not having perfect compatibility when it blew the competition away.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

FYI for those curious: Pete's Open GL 2 plugin is more accurate and allows for more eye candy at the same time.

Still not as accurate/compatible as the P.E.Op.S. software plugin.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

I.S.T. wrote:FYI for those curious: Pete's Open GL 2 plugin is more accurate and allows for more eye candy at the same time.

Which I might note inevitably crashes eventually on Persona 2: Eternal Punishment's battle flash, so it is not perfect either.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Metatron wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:FYI for those curious: Pete's Open GL 2 plugin is more accurate and allows for more eye candy at the same time.

Which I might note inevitably crashes eventually on Persona 2: Eternal Punishment's battle flash, so it is not perfect either.
Of course. It does still have that special fixes menu...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Exophase wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:"inaccurate" emulation is the cause for plugins, and different configurations for different games.
Using plugins doesn't make an emulator any less accurate. All plugins do is allow for modularity in how certain parts of the emulator are implemented, giving end users a choice of which "component emulators" to use. It also allows for the workload involved in making an emulator to be shared without the complications involved in sharing source outright.

It's true that say, PSEmuPro GPU plugins often sacrifice some level of accuracy to enhance the appearance of the game. But this is meant to be optional, hence the reason why the plugin system was implemented. Plugins were actually a major asset to PS1 emulation because they allowed a lot of the work that went towards improving PSEmuPro to carry over to ePSXe, PCSX, PSXeven, etc. If you don't like having to configure them for every game then you can stick with a software rendering plugin and a few baseline settings that will probably give you something similar to pSX for most games. pSX might have an accuracy edge over ePSXe (this is bound to happen with a much newer emulator) but I doubt it even comes close to what NES emu authors insist upon these days, which tends to be entirely unnecessary for all PS1 games.
You're not understanding how things work. A plugin system attempts to emulate components, which is fine if and only if the components did not interact with each other. However, this is not the case. Components communicate with each other and can cause particular behavior to happen, which tends to have an impact on compatibility. The plugin system is not a good system to accomplish this.
Deathlike2 wrote:Sure, but the Nesticle reference is invalid for the comparison, simply because ROM alterations had to be instituted for the emu to "work properly". Mind you, that's not my cup of tea.
I've heard that said before here and it sounds like a total myth. At the very least, I never had to patch my ROMs for them to work on NESticle, and until I came here I never heard anything about this. NESticle was a popular emulator, it wouldn't surprise me if some game was eventually hacked to run on it long after development for it stopped. But I really doubt that it was ever made with this intention in mind. You can't fault the emulator for other people doing things like this, nor can you really fault a 1997 NES emulator for not having perfect compatibility when it blew the competition away.
What the hell are you talking about? When the game is dumped correctly and the emu isn't correctly emulating it, the game should not be hacked directly for it to work. That's what game specific hacks in the emu are for. IIRC, one of the games that was hacked to work with this game was SMB3.. which is a can't miss game.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I find that the hardware accelerated PSX plugins are harder to configure than N64 plugins in general.

Most of the decent N64 plugins have settings files so you don't have to change that many options (Jabo's/Glide64/Rice's), and some have configuration guides (Jabo's/Glide64). Just download the latest config file and most of the work is done for you. Direct64 and glN64() are simple to configure and don't have a lot of compat options anyway. All you need is to know which emu/plugins to use for that game, which is basically on Bighead's list.

When I want to get a framebuffer effect to work properly with Pete's hardware accelerated plugins for example, you normally have to search Ngemu or Google to get a working config or use a lot of trial and error. There are no in-built settings files for specific games, and the configuration guides bundled with the emulator are a tad outdated.
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

Deathlike2 wrote:You're not understanding how things work. A plugin system attempts to emulate components, which is fine if and only if the components did not interact with each other. However, this is not the case. Components communicate with each other and can cause particular behavior to happen, which tends to have an impact on compatibility. The plugin system is not a good system to accomplish this.
You're assuming how things work. In a real PS1 I guarantee you that the GPU, SPU, and controller portions have no knowledge whatsoever that the others exist, much less do they communicate with each other. But if they DID there's no reason why the core emulator could not facilitate this. But they don't. Stop making things up.

Give me one concrete reason where a plugin system must necessarily fail compatibility for a platform like PS1. And I don't mean the API being incomplete (lacking information passing), I mean a real reason.
Deathlike2 wrote:What the hell are you talking about? When the game is dumped correctly and the emu isn't correctly emulating it, the game should not be hacked directly for it to work. That's what game specific hacks in the emu are for. IIRC, one of the games that was hacked to work with this game was SMB3.. which is a can't miss game.
What the hell are YOU talking about? What did you not understand about what I said? Nowhere did the design of NESticle mandate that they expected games to be hacked to play with it. Yes, it had compatibility problems. People hacking ROMs to work with it is not the fault of the emulator. That does not make it a per-game hack. Almost all emulators have compatibility problems, and I'd sure love for you to show me the NES emulator in 1997 that had perfect compatibility. Get off your high horse, it doesn't matter if a game is "can't miss", it was still a complex game with a complex mapper that wasn't very well understood by anyone at the time. Or was the NESticle author supposed to spend the years of reverse engineering that the rest of the NES dev community did before releasing his emulator?

Seriously, blaming the emulator for other people hacking a game to work with it is nonsense (especially with as much as possible go on about per-game hacks being the devil, here you're endorsing them), and going off on an early emulator for not supporting a popular game is just brutal.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

All I'll say about valuing accuracy over an undefined playability target
A. benefits me personally, as I often care about games that do not fall into what the masses are looking at, and
B. benefits people that own copiers, as a more accurate emulator means that homebrews and ROM hacks are more likely to work on their real SNES.

Exophase wrote:Another part is perfectionism, as well as mob mentality (why it's basically taboo to think NESticle isn't an abomination, regardless of whether or not you were around when it was by far the best NES emulator, and a milestone one at that).
No one's saying NESticle wasn't good WHEN IT STARTED.

The problem is that it was continually pushed as the gold standard long after other far better emus had been released, like FWNES and LoopyNES.
The NES scene was stuck in the dark ages for YEARS because people refused to accept that it wasn't STILL the best(that and Cowering never acknowledged that NES headers were a vital part of the ROM image and NEEDED to be checked for accuracy).

You can still find NESticle recommended TO THIS VERY DAY as the most accurate NES emulator, though no longer on any major emulation sites. Though some(LOL ZOPHAR!) continued to push it as the best or near the best WELL past it's expiration date.

Deathlike2 wrote:
Exophase wrote:
What the hell are you talking about? When the game is dumped correctly and the emu isn't correctly emulating it, the game should not be hacked directly for it to work. That's what game specific hacks in the emu are for. IIRC, one of the games that was hacked to work with this game was SMB3.. which is a can't miss game.
I think the problem is he, like many that were active at the time, didn't know the RAWMZ he had were hacked.
The running assumption was that if the game worked in NESticle, it was a good dump and if it didn't, it was a bad dump.

Consequently, for example, NESticle was the only emulator that could run Crystalis properly, because the common copy of Crystalis was a hacked-for-NESticle copy that didn't work right in anything that COULD run an unhacked Crystalis.

I remember when Punchout and Turtles 2 "had no good dumps on the internet" because they had major graphics glitches in NESticle.
Of course, the same ROM images worked fine in other emulators.

Ah, those were the days.
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:All I'll say about valuing accuracy over an undefined playability target
A. benefits me personally, as I often care about games that do not fall into what the masses are looking at, and
B. benefits people that own copiers, as a more accurate emulator means that homebrews and ROM hacks are more likely to work on their real SNES.
How about valuing accuracy beyond what any game requires, or even feasibly what any homebrew made for it would require? How about valuing accuracy just because someone says that they're taking a more accurate approach to emulation, when in reality it has nothing to do with it? How about automatically throwing out any emulator that people call inaccurate without actually knowing the ramifications of this?

These things happen all the time.

I agree that ROM hackers should test against the most accurate emulators they can get, but that doesn't mean that the hacks themselves have to be played on said emulators. Different emulators are good for different situations. On the other hand, it'd be best if ROM hackers would get people to try it on the real hardware too.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:No one's saying NESticle wasn't good WHEN IT STARTED.
Oh? It's certainly implied, when it's called an "abomination", or an "un-emulator", or whatever other variety of insults are thrown at it. In my opinion the emulator deserves much more respect than it's given for the milestones it has accomplished. With the tone people address it with I'm certain many shun it for ever existing.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:The problem is that it was continually pushed as the gold standard long after other far better emus had been released, like FWNES and LoopyNES.
The NES scene was stuck in the dark ages for YEARS because people refused to accept that it wasn't STILL the best(that and Cowering never acknowledged that NES headers were a vital part of the ROM image and NEEDED to be checked for accuracy).
Quite frankly, none of that is NESticle's problem and the emulator itself doesn't deserve all of the hate it gets. I moved on as soon as better emulators were available (FWNES, then Jnes, etc)
Gil_Hamilton wrote:You can still find NESticle recommended TO THIS VERY DAY as the most accurate NES emulator, though no longer on any major emulation sites. Though some(LOL ZOPHAR!) continued to push it as the best or near the best WELL past it's expiration date.
Again, you can't blame the emulator because people are ignorant. Although I haven't seen anything like this past 1998. Maybe I just hang around too many sites like these, but go anywhere and I see nothing but insults for the emulator. It's a massive scapegoat for frustrated people. Hell, look at its entry on everything2.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:I think the problem is he, like many that were active at the time, didn't know the RAWMZ he had were hacked.
The running assumption was that if the game worked in NESticle, it was a good dump and if it didn't, it was a bad dump.
Please. I used NESticle the day it was released with ROMs that I had well before that point. I suppose you want to tell me they were hacked for it? Let me give you the real explanation: I had realistic expectations for an NES emulator released in 1997 and wasn't in denial over games that didn't work correctly.

You guys are clearly bitter over things that may have been indirectly caused by NESticle but clearly are not its fault.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Noone said Nesticle should die a horrible death. The expectation of an emulator for its time is fine by those standards. They simply aren't for today's standards (in terms of NES emulation).

It's primary use now (if one were to recommend it) is to use it on a slower non-modern system.

I'm not even bitter. I'm not much of an NES fan at all. It is always worth pointing out that there are better solutions than Nesticle for your NES needs, which is the primary argument that has been made time and time again. Nesticle will still have its niche, but that's what it is now.
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

Deathlike2 wrote:Noone said Nesticle should die a horrible death. The expectation of an emulator for its time is fine by those standards. They simply aren't for today's standards (in terms of NES emulation).

It's primary use now (if one were to recommend it) is to use it on a slower non-modern system.

I'm not even bitter. I'm not much of an NES fan at all. It is always worth pointing out that there are better solutions than Nesticle for your NES needs, which is the primary argument that has been made time and time again. Nesticle will still have its niche, but that's what it is now.
Okay, that's you. Now apply what I said to all the people who constantly bring it up so they can slag it. If not for this I definitely wouldn't be bringing it up now, I probably wouldn't even have given it a second thought in years. I haven't used it in a very long time.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Exophase wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:All I'll say about valuing accuracy over an undefined playability target
How about valuing accuracy beyond what any game requires, or even feasibly what any homebrew made for it would require?
How do you know you have an inaccuracy?
When a program exhibits behavior in the emulator it doesn't show on the real system.

Gil_Hamilton wrote:No one's saying NESticle wasn't good WHEN IT STARTED.
Oh? It's certainly implied, when it's called an "abomination", or an "un-emulator", or whatever other variety of insults are thrown at it.
Even the NESticle people have called the last release something that should never have existed.

But let's be realistic for a moment...
Regardless of it's original accomplishments, future releases refused to improve on it. They were unwilling to sacrifice any degree of speed for accuracy improvements, and everyone else passed them by.

Everyone else was also told they needed to be more like NESticle. Because bleeding hand cursors were more important than running Punchout.

Deathlike: Actually, I've said NESticle should die a horrible death.
Well, actually, I think I said it already has and people need to stop desecrating the corpse. But...
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Even the NESticle people have called the last release something that should never have existed.

But let's be realistic for a moment...
Regardless of it's original accomplishments, future releases refused to improve on it. They were unwilling to sacrifice any degree of speed for accuracy improvements, and everyone else passed them by.

Everyone else was also told they needed to be more like NESticle. Because bleeding hand cursors were more important than running Punchout.

Deathlike: Actually, I've said NESticle should die a horrible death.
Well, actually, I think I said it already has and people need to stop desecrating the corpse. But...
Honestly, I wasn't even around for the later NESticle releases, aside from using them a few times for netplay. I used emulators in 96-97 but couldn't from late 97 to late 98. So that probably affects my perspective on it. I do know there were various controversies and scandals behind a lot of things Bloodlust did (although I don't know the exact details).

That anyone needs to be told to stop using NESticle now boggles my mind. Where do you find these people? o_O
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

What did Bloodlust do?
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

I.S.T. wrote:What did Bloodlust do?
Not so much what they did necessarily, but I know the source code was stolen and that lead to the discontinuing.. and there were bad sentiments all around. But I heard about a lot of this stuff after it happened so I don't really know exactly what went down.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Exophase wrote: Honestly, I wasn't even around for the later NESticle releases, aside from using them a few times for netplay. I used emulators in 96-97 but couldn't from late 97 to late 98. So that probably affects my perspective on it. I do know there were various controversies and scandals behind a lot of things Bloodlust did (although I don't know the exact details).

That anyone needs to be told to stop using NESticle now boggles my mind. Where do you find these people? o_O
At this point, usually they come in here. I'm not involved in many emulation sites anymore.

The last pro-NESticle site I know of for sure that people were taking seriously was Zophar's(people taking Zophar's seriously is a whole 'nother thread) . They finally quit calling it the best in... 2004, I think? Anyone remember?
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Exophase wrote: Honestly, I wasn't even around for the later NESticle releases, aside from using them a few times for netplay. I used emulators in 96-97 but couldn't from late 97 to late 98. So that probably affects my perspective on it. I do know there were various controversies and scandals behind a lot of things Bloodlust did (although I don't know the exact details).

At this point, usually they come in here. I'm not involved in many emulation sites anymore.

The last pro-NESticle site I know of for sure that people were taking seriously was Zophar's(people taking Zophar's seriously is a whole 'nother thread) . They finally quit calling it the best in... 2004, I think? Anyone remember?
http://web.archive.org/web/200108150334 ... t/nes.html

2001. You're a few years off.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Exophase wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

http://web.archive.org/web/200108150334 ... t/nes.html

2001. You're a few years off.
That's great. I admitted up front I wasn't at all sure of the date. I would've been very surprised if I WASN'T a few years off.

Doesn't change the fact that it was WAY after the final release in 1998, and a LOT of people were using Zophar's as an accurate information resource.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Exophase wrote:Okay, that's you. Now apply what I said to all the people who constantly bring it up so they can slag it. If not for this I definitely wouldn't be bringing it up now, I probably wouldn't even have given it a second thought in years. I haven't used it in a very long time.
They will continue to "slag it", fairly or unfairly. Regardless, when it comes to NES emulation, Nesticle may be referenced and regardless of what people think of it, it did have an impact on the NES community.

Personally, the ROM alterations "requirement" done for certain games is certainly a fair criticism of the emu, so that will always been unavoidable. It doesn't necessarily mean it didn't emulate other games well. It is simply unacceptable by today's standards.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,
Exophase wrote:It's no real secret that I'm unhappy about the trend of obsession with accuracy in emulators, when many of the people demanding this don't actually understand what it is they're demanding. I think that part of this is an attempt for people to distance themselves from those who pirate software (of course, "preserving" a platform still means that there's an intention software for it will be obtained, for free, one day in the future). Another part is perfectionism, as well as mob mentality (why it's basically taboo to think NESticle isn't an abomination, regardless of whether or not you were around when it was by far the best NES emulator, and a milestone one at that).
I agree with all of that. The problem is that most people think that the lower the level of emulation the more accurate it will be. This, to some degree, is not true. This kind of thinking is created mostly by the dever(s) of rival emulator(s). And it is not even limited to NESticle. I've read people saying Gens being crap because it can't compare to Kega in some games. I beg to people to differ.

Yes, I am too obsessed with accuracy, but that doesn't mean that I will go to a lower level of emulation if it can be achieved on a higher level. Kega seems to run the CPUs opcode-by-opcode to achieve accurate timings. Regen runs the CPUs line-by-line yet achieves the same (and in some, even better) results. I am not bragging or anything, but trying to prove the point that level of emulation and accuracy are not always related.

But on the other hand I am not a supporter of HLE. I think its not the right term (should be called Black Box Emulation). I agree with byuu that correct mathematical relations must be found for the emulation to be right (note that I have not used "accurate").

Just my way of thinking.

stay safe,

AamirM
byuu

Post by byuu »

The way I see it, the "level" of emulation used does not necessarily indicate the level of accuracy.
That's the same argument as saying Java does not necessarily run slower than hand-written assembler. Of course, it depends on how well it is utilized versus the other.
This doesn't mean that emulating it in a way that would provide consistent results with what an SNES would under any circumstances requires emulating this internal state at the opcode level of its processor.
I never said we had to get the internal state 100% exactly like hardware. If internally the chip increments X before decrementing Y, it only matters if that has an effect upon its external input or output. Internal state doesn't matter, so long as both chip input and output is 100% identical to hardware in all circumstances. That is when I will be happy. Bus perfect reads and writes under all circumstances.
If you require that emulation be done at a lower level than it is done at, arbitrarily, then who is to say that the level you require is low enough? Should it not be done at the microcode, gate, transistor level, molecular, atomic, sub-atomic levels?
I find this comment highly condescending.

I'm not preaching theory here. If you can write a test that passes on hardware and fails in an emulator, there's a problem with the emulator. If you can pass the test without breaking something else, then I'm happy with that.
If preserving hardware is the true goal of emulation then I ask why the hardware is worth preserving any more than the circuitry in my watch.
Of course the games are what make it worthwhile. This is why I try so hard to preserve the hardware that they run on.
How about valuing accuracy beyond what any game requires, or even feasibly what any homebrew made for it would require?
That's a good thing! What if the final console fails (or they're so rare that testing rigs are out of reach of all emu devs), and a bug is later found in a game that invalidates our previous understanding? Now it will be impossible to ever know for sure that we've emulated this new behavior properly.
pSX might have an accuracy edge over ePSXe (this is bound to happen with a much newer emulator)
An established emulator author is in a much better position to continue making improvements, and understands the system a lot better. Whereas a new emulator author has to start from scratch, may have never even written an emu before, and has a good year or two of catching up to do on knowledge alone. There's only one excuse for an established emulator to fall behind, and that's apathy.

And it makes sense. You just can't keep at an emulator forever. You get tired of it after a few years and progress stalls. But saying it's bound to happen as though the new author has some sort of technical advantage ... I strongly disagree.
It's no real secret that I'm unhappy about the trend of obsession with accuracy in emulators, when many of the people demanding this don't actually understand what it is they're demanding. I think that part of this is an attempt for people to distance themselves from those who pirate software
How about automatically throwing out any emulator that people call inaccurate without actually knowing the ramifications of this? These things happen all the time.
Seriously, are you that far detached from the emulation scene?

Yes, I managed to get a half dozen people to care about SNES accuracy. It's very unfortunate that this attitude tends to put down other emulators. Even I've been guilty of that on occasion, and it's very shameful.

But seriously, you think that's the new popular trend? Are you kidding me? At least 98% of emulator users don't give a flying shit how an emulator works, so long as they can play their games on it. You see it with every new gaming system. There's a huge race to rig up new games to run before the competition can get there. By any means necessary. Even the SNES scene does it. Look at these pitiful graphics packs, for example.

Sure, there's a lot of people vocal here. Why? Because the people reading the developer threads and posting here care. They care about the hardware itself. The people who just want to play games aren't participating in these conversations. They're just playing games.

Unfortunately, there's too many variables (features, longevity, etc) that affect how popular an emulator is, so I can't prove this just by download counts alone.

But you think that speed/feature oriented emulators are being unfairly attacked? Good lord, I really should start saving some of the discussions attacking my intellect just because other emulators are faster than mine. Nine out of ten threads in my referral logs have multiple people discrediting me. I'm absolutely flattered that people such as Clements defend me on these forums.

And for you to spin this like this Accuracy Cult is going around attacking all of these innocent minority speed-oriented emulators ... absolutely incredible.

--------------------

Look, bottom line. We disagree on how an emulator should work, and discussing it won't change that.

Yes, I care about hardware behavior that doesn't affect any games. Because once the original console is gone, we won't have a way to ever determine how that works.

Who are we to know what may or may not take advantage of that hardware in the future? Or what bugs we haven't discovered yet? How will we ever be 100% sure homebrew would work on real hardware 20 years from now if our emulators only care about getting known games working now?

I think (read: this is a personal opinion) that accuracy is more important than speed. The former ensures a great experience for the future as machines continue to get faster, while the latter gives promise for today and is eclipsed with time (re: NESticle.) But both can exist at the same time! It's the best of both worlds!

Do I think speed-focused emulators that sacrifice accuracy of "unimportant" things are inferior? If you mean for playability, I think they are vastly superior. If you mean for preservation, yes. These aren't elitist comparisons. They're technically valid when you put the emotions aside. If someone says "I want to play Super Mario World", I tell them to use ZSNES. It's a truly fantastic emulator. If someone is developing a fan translation and lacks a copier, I ask that they use an emulator that supports hardware VRAM write limitations. ZSNES is not one of them.

Do I think a non-accurate emulator is worthless? Nothing is ever worthless, but you have to look at what value it provides today. Let's look at NESticle. It has been superseded in accuracy, compatibility, features and possibly even speed. About the only thing it is useful for today is as an ultra-low requirement emulator that can run on very, very, very old hardware (486es and such.) It's value has been seriously reduced through time. Nobody is arguing that it was bad when it came out, they're saying it isn't that great anymore. Big difference. It's also closed source, which does nobody any good.

One thing that annoys me is that people insist on comparing speed-oriented emulators against accuracy-oriented emulators and putting down our work, and that's flat out wrong. Period. You and I both agree on that. They serve different purposes, and aren't meant to compete.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. I'll do my thing, and you do yours. And let's all make a concentrated effort not to put down others for working on an emulator for free. End users can pick whichever approach they prefer and voice their opinions in a friendly manner.

One thing I agree upon is that end users aren't really prepared to gauge emulator accuracy. The only way to tell for them is based on game compatibility, which can be skewed both by game-specific and global hacks. The former can even be hidden in closed source applications, and we'd be none the wiser.
Last edited by byuu on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.