151 crashes on full screen

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

EmuAsylum

151 crashes on full screen

Post by EmuAsylum »

i dunno why its doing this, it was fine for like an hour, then i paused it and went and checked my mail, i came back and ever since it just crashes

i deleted all files except roms and saves, and reloaded zsnes, ut still it just crashes if i go to full screen, when i say crash i mean it minimizes the window everytime i maximize it

my specs

win xp pro sp2
19" non-wide monitor
intel setup

thanks
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'm not sure how you "paused it". Try deleting zsnesw.cfg and/or rebooting your comp.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
EmuAsylum

Post by EmuAsylum »

i paused it by pressing the ESX buton

ive tried that a few times already
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Well, I dunno what happened then. Try disabling/reenabling DDraw in Dxdiag.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
gamerk316

Post by gamerk316 »

Same thing here, but 1.51 worked on my old PC. Any full-screen resolution causes the emulator to minimize. I can also confirm this occurs in 1.50 as well.

BTW, I'm using a 9800 GX2 as my main GPU. Ill try setting ZSNES to run on only 1 GPU, and see if that fixes the problem.
gamerk316

Post by gamerk316 »

Update: 1.42 also fails, and its NOT an SLI issue.

I'm also getting a Direct Draw error, it dissappears fast though:

idirectDraw7: setcooperativelevel failed

And yes, dxdiag says everything is all right.

EDIT

Turning off and turning all acceleration options back on failed to, as did re-installing Direct X.

EDIT 2

Re-installing Direct X did make the setcooperativelevel failed go away at least, but ZSNES still minimized when it goes to full-screen.

EDIT 3

SNES9x 1.51 and 1.50 also fail with full-screen mode. Emulator auto-minimizes

EDIT 4: ISSUE FIXED

Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot -> Uncheck "Enable Write Combining"

Write Combining speeds up the writing to the display, and was the issue causing the full-screen errors. Disabling and restarting windows should fix the problem

EDIT 5:

Another restart broke it again. I'm looking into it

EDIT 6: (Fixed for now) (im so banned :D)

16 bit color mode MUST be enabled. That seems to have done the trick...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Editing your posts several times is not a banning offense. It's not even an offense, since it's the right thing(tm).
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
gamerk316

Post by gamerk316 »

grinvader wrote:Editing your posts several times is not a banning offense. It's not even an offense, since it's the right thing(tm).
Hence, the smiley :D

Still, OP, try running in 16 bit color mode and see if the issue persists; that seems to be the root cause anyway...
Venrob

Re:

Post by Venrob »

gamerk316 wrote:
grinvader wrote:Editing your posts several times is not a banning offense. It's not even an offense, since it's the right thing(tm).
Hence, the smiley :D

Still, OP, try running in 16 bit color mode and see if the issue persists; that seems to be the root cause anyway...
Thank you so much, this glitch was happening to me too and I couldn't pinpoint the issue anywhere!
jhankin1

Re: 151 crashes on full screen

Post by jhankin1 »

I'm having this problem, too, right out of the box. I'm running Windows 8, in case that's relevant.