Sonic Adventure DX, no sfx...

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Sonic Adventure DX, no sfx...

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

So I got all nostalgic and wanted to play sonic adventure, without setting up the dreamcast. So I got a copy of the pc version with a nocd patch, and after some wrasslin' I got it working in wine. The weird thing is, while music and voice are playing properly, there are no sound effects to speak of. Looking at the pre-game options menu it seems to indicate that enabling voice should also enable sfx. This seems supported by there not being an entry in the ini file for such a value, while there is one for voice and music. This could easily just be a wine bug, obviously, but I'm curious as to whether anyone else has the game in their possession and answer a question for me. Namely, there is a "sounddata" folder in the game directory, and within it are "bgm" "se" and genral voice folders. The voice and bgm folders are full of wmas, but the se folder is filled with .dat files. Sound there be wmas in there?

I guess my only other question is if the game plays the intro movie like the dreamcast version did. It doesn't currently play, and there are no blatant video files in the directory. If neither of these things are bugs in wine, I can only assume I'm missing some files from the cd due to my use of the nocd patch. Any information would be hlpful. Thanks guys!
I bring the trouble.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

how big is the install? cuz it should be like 2gb
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

My final install directory comes to about 1.3 gigs... way too small?
I bring the trouble.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Yup, why not buy the game for 10$?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Gosh, I don't know where I'd be without some insightful commentary from franpa. Thank you SO MUCH.

Furthermore:
This could easily just be a wine bug, obviously, but I'm curious as to whether anyone else has the game in their possession and answer a question for me.
In other words, why buy the game if I don't know I'm going to get the exact same problem?

Finally:
Yup
Are you agreeing with some invisible post prior to your own in which I was instructed to buy the game/told off for trying to do things my own way? Who are you agreeing with here?
I bring the trouble.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

I've tried gaming in wine / cedega and wasn't very pleased with it, but I'm sure other people are happy with it. Still I do recall the Sonic Adventure DX demo having sound when I tired it in it. Maybe try messing around with it? If I still had linux installed I'd have a go at it.

Edit; Oh, I used cedega for the sonic adventure DX demo. Should of been more clear about that.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Hm. Maybe I'll try playing the demo and see the results I get. For what it's worth, the game is running smooth as hell on regular wine for me. I was pleasantly surprised. Really, the strange lack of videos and sound effects are the only two things missing at this point from me thinking the game is running native.

Thanks for your advice though, I'll try tweaking some stuff. If anyone else has any insight, do let me know.
I bring the trouble.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:Finally:
Yup
Are you agreeing with some invisible post prior to your own in which I was instructed to buy the game/told off for trying to do things my own way? Who are you agreeing with here?
He was Yup'ing at your '... way too small?'

Probably trying a lewd comment at your pen0r along the way.
Ah wait, that one's from me. >:]
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Aaron
Lurker

Post by Aaron »

grinvader wrote:He was Yup'ing at your '... way too small?'

Ah wait, that one's from me.
Haven't I heard this before?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Not exactly original, so you're having déjà-vu.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

grinvader wrote:He was Yup'ing at your '... way too small?'
When that and the second suggestion made are simply separated by a comma, I suppose it just sounds like a silly lead-in to a sentence. Which wasn't really reflected in my reaction, I suppose.
Ah wait, that one's from me. >:]
Fair enough. We can't all have humongous pen0rs like you >:]

Either way, I downloaded the demo and it had the same directory structure/showed the same sfx problem/what have you. So this is not a problem that can be solved by buying a copy of the game.... the sound effects must be stored in a different format than the voice/music files, that wine/my audio setup isn't reading properly. I'll keep looking into it, and thanks to everyone for their input.
I bring the trouble.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

Solution: Wine sucks, use Cedega.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Cedega's people are dicks for not contributing back to their parent project, and wine has been seeing a lot of solid activity lately... so I think I'm good. Not to mention wine has played almost anything I've thrown at it lately, so I feel minimal need to switch entire compatibility layers just to hear the sound effects in a sonic game.

But meh, knowing me, it may happen anyway. Even after just ranting about it, I guess I should at least check to see if it DOES magically work. It's the same amount of effort as was downloading the demo to check filesystem differences, so... all in the nature of the experiment. I spose I'll give it a shot and report back.

Wine definitely doesn't suck, though. It's a good project, with good people; it runs a lot of shit, and without it cedega could not exist.
I bring the trouble.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Solution: Install Windows.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Or ask Nach on IRC to learn how to use real windows dll's with wine.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Solution: Install Windows.
Thanks Gil :P

And to AoL, that's not a bad suggestion. I probably won't end up doing it anytime soon, despite it probably helping me in the long run, but if Nach would care to show me a thing or two I'd definitely be grateful. I'll have to stop by IRC sometime.

Further updates... there's no way I've got it set up right, because cedega's performance for this game is incredibly poor in comparison to regular wine right now... and cedega doesn't recognize the apps i've installed in wine (obviously), so it wants me to re-install wmp to get sound working again. I may try it at some point, but the whole game is running more poorly all around, making me not want to bother at the moment. I did do some searching and found a wine bug possibly related to my problem, which will hopefully be looked into. At this point, that's probably the end of my search. Hopefully it will get fixed eventually, and as long as it's known, I'm content to wait for a fix. Thanks for everyone's input, however constructive.

EDIT: This is the bug, if anyone has anything to say about it.
I bring the trouble.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Solution: Install Windows.
Thanks Gil :P
Any time.
It's good to be on the other end of the "Solution: change OS" response occasionally. Gives you perspective. Or something.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Or something.
Exactly.
I bring the trouble.