Nestopia 1.40

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Nestopia 1.40

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Gary_Oak wrote: Not sure if this also happens in real hardware (I've never played Battletoads on a actual NES), but the same thing seems to occur in games like Kirby's Adventure, Battletoads and Double Dragon and Wai Wai World 2. Is this really an original hardware thing, or can it be removed by tinkering with some of Nestopia's video options?
Why do people keep assuming that major graphical changes can be affected by playing with the graphics settings of NES and SNES emulators?
These aren't half-assed DirectX wrappers with a metric butt-ton of game-specific hacks holding them together like so much duck tape.
They actually attempt to simulate the original hardware behavior, and here's a hint: the original hardware didn't have a bank of switches to reconfigure it for different games.

What you SHOULD be asking is why PS and N64 emulators DO have all those options that majorly affect game behavior.

I'd place money on it being plain old overscan protection.
At least it's not full of garbage tiles like so many other NES games. Blacking out the area you aren't using is a mark of class.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Is it just me, or has Gil become a bit touchy (read: bitchy) regardless of topic in this past week or so? Keep up the good work.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

Gil: I say for the N64 end, speed. Low level emulating the RDP would be quite taxing. At least with the RSP and co, you get some dynarec to help at least.

So, really, HLE is just a massive speed hack. And it allows for funky shit like texture replacement.

As for PS, dunno why. pSX should work, last time I checked...o.o
mz
Rookie

Post by mz »

Gary_Oak wrote:Is there a way to remove this black bar?:
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Agozer wrote:Is it just me, or has Gil become a bit touchy (read: bitchy) regardless of topic in this past week or so? Keep up the good work.
I've ALWAYS been bitchy about plugin hell, and the assumption that user-configured per-game hacks is how emulators are SUPPOSED to work.
mudlord88 wrote:Gil: I say for the N64 end, speed. Low level emulating the RDP would be quite taxing. At least with the RSP and co, you get some dynarec to help at least.

So, really, HLE is just a massive speed hack. And it allows for funky shit like texture replacement.

As for PS, dunno why. pSX should work, last time I checked...o.o
pSX does work, and is my PS emu of choice.

And I'm not really against high-level emulation, per se. Just mazes of per-game configurations.
Which, honestly, went away on the later PS1 stuff. I found the odd glitch(two I remember well: R-Type Final's pause menu never wanted to show up right, SRWF put black borders around everything if you enabled interpolation), but most of the time it "just worked."

pSX just "just works" more often, and that's really my primary criteria for emulator choice.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

The only PS1 game I care about that pSX doesn't support properly is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It will randomly fail to loop the music, or fail to restart it when commanded to by the game, resulting in the game running with no music until you enter a hallway and attempt to enter a new area, at which point the game will lock up while waiting for the music to start.

Oh well, I can still play it just perfectly with my brother's old PSOne. Or his PS2. Or, preferrably, with my PS3.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

You like Castlevania, don't you?

</Psycho_Mantis>
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

pSX also will crash when trying to start a new game of Metal Gear Solid Integral.

you can get around this by playing through the intro to the first memory card save in another emulator and and then loading in pSX.

of course it couldn't just work from then, I recieved the ultimate fuck you when I tried to start disk 2 and I couldn't get it to work in pSX, and couldn't do the same work around I had tried the last time.

It's not like these are obscure games >_>

I've also heard japanese versions of Legend of Mana and Ape Escape also do not work.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

On the other hand, pSX displays the pause menu in R-Type Δ. Definitely that, and NOT Final at all.
Either way, it's something I was never able to convince a plugin-based emu to do without reverting to a graphics plugin that exhibited huge glitches in... almost everything else.

Still kicking myself for not picking that one up years ago when Best Buy had it on clearance for ten bucks. Be a nice one to have. Again, I mean Δ, not Final. I own Final, after all.
They had Castlevania 64 for FREE the same week(ten bucks and a mail-in rebate). I shoulda got that one just to say I had it. I mean... free.

I've honestly not tried SotN or MGS. Played both to death in RealPS1.

Interestingly, MGS:I is listed as working in the compatibility list... but hasn't been tested since 1.7.
Last edited by Gil_Hamilton on Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I take it you mean R-Type Delta?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yes. Yes, I do.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to lock myself int eh box of shame for a little while.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Find the option to enable overscan. Most games display garbage on the far left as they use the left for cache. TV's of the NES era typically don't show the left edge of the picture.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

xebra has surpassed psx for my needs recently
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
kick
Trooper

Unofficial Nestopia 1.41.1

Post by kick »

Unofficial Nestopia 1.41.1 released !

Binaries & source code available HERE
Last edited by kick on Sun May 22, 2011 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
mudlord88
Lurker

Post by mudlord88 »

Oh nice, what changes? :)
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Code: Select all

----------------------------------------------------------------
Unofficial 1.41.1 - by Geestarraw (geestarraw@gmail.com) (May 17, 2011)
----------------------------------------------------------------

Shell:

Changes:

- Added fullscreen support for non-primary monitor displays.
  - Modified Video Options dialog component layout and added device index to
    identify mutiple monitors.
  - Refactoring.
  - Code documentation.

Fixes:

- Fixed so menu is still displayed after fullscreen monitor to monitor switch.

Project:

Changes:

- Converted solution and projects to Visual Studio 2010.
  - Improved version enumeration previously locked to x.xx (exactly 3 digits) to
    be anything from y.y, y.y.y, and y.y.y.y (where y can be up to 4 digits).
  - Changed build output target to nestopia.exe.

Fixes:

- Fixed bug in version enumeration always excluding highest version number.
  - Moved unofficial 1.41 release notes to official changelog file.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
kuros456

Post by kuros456 »

Does anyone know how to get the Famicom Disk System BIOS running properly so that you don't get the "Battery Err .02" message?

I'd really like to be able to see the Mario and Luigi animations.

Also I have a question about the video options color decoder:

Consumer is obviously the option to display colors as they would appear on a NTSC TV, but what about a Japanese TV? Would it be any different?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

kuros456 wrote:Does anyone know how to get the Famicom Disk System BIOS running properly so that you don't get the "Battery Err .02" message?

I'd really like to be able to see the Mario and Luigi animations.

Also I have a question about the video options color decoder:

Consumer is obviously the option to display colors as they would appear on a NTSC TV, but what about a Japanese TV? Would it be any different?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
US and J NESes had basically the same video output.

While there are differences in display calibration for US and J NTSC, they mainly have to do with black level(the "unsafe" lowets-brightness palette entries in the NES are valid options on a J display as i understand it).
Adjust the brightness ever so slightly to correct between US NTSC and J NTSC.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads