Nestopia 1.40

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

FirebrandX wrote:I've got a 7.1 digital surround card
Integrated? check for newer drivers, update direct x etc.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

No, it's PCI card I just purchased (and has the latest drivers), and I noticed the sound problem before I upgraded to the new card.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

And you got power saving settings for your hardware and within Windows, disabled?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

That's correct.

Really it's not my system. I have several emulators for various other platforms like SNES, Megadrive, Neo Geo, MAME, etc, and none of them have this problem. There's just something funky about the sound core in Nestopia that causes random bloopers in it. As I said before, it can sound like a record skip, or a tone that goes wacky in pitch.

Edit: Just tried VirtuaNes and it had none of the sound issues I get with Nestopia. The only problem is the lack of control over video options in fullscreen. VirtuaNes has a limited number of resolutions to choose from, and forces bilinear filtering in fullscreen (which I cannot stand). I found I could force a non-listed fullscreen resolution by editing the cfg file, but the image is still horribly blurred from the forced bilinear filtering. If I could have the features of Nestopia with the stable sound core of VirtuaNES, that would be perfect.
NES NTSC palette file:

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Turn on System Memory in VirtuaNES to get rid of the billinear filtering. Comes with a speed hit though as it makes it use system RAM instead of video RAM.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Talking about Nestopia it had been a while since 1.40 and they are very quiet. Marty used to release 1 binary per year.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Well, nothing lasts forever. What is there to improve in NEStopia, aside from some obscure 3rd party hardware? More polishing?
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Well that unstable sound issue for one thing.

That reminds me, I gave FCEUX a try and it had quite a few problems. First, fullscreen doesn't initialize properly and I have to initialize it twice to hide the desktop background. Next I found the mouse pointer is completely hidden no matter what I tried, and right clicking only brings up a couple of selections you can't even point to because of the invisible pointer. The last straw was simply trying to exit the game or go back to window mode just to get access to all the options again. I found no way to do this other than using alt-F4 to kill the program. This is horrible usability in my opinion.

So to recap:

Nestopia: Unstable sound that skips and distorts randomly.

FCEUX: Absolutely terrible GUI intuitiveness.

VirtuaNes: Very limiting video control options.
NES NTSC palette file:

Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

fakenes was pretty awesome back in the day

nintendulator wasn't bad either, I'd still go with Nestopia probably but have you ever tried those?

personally I keep the newest version of all 3 on my computer all the time

don't really mess with FCEUX or VirtuaNES ever, never really been interested in them

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fakenes/

http://www.qmtpro.com/~nes/nintendulator/

(scroll down for the latest beta)
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

This may be relevant to your sound skipping issues.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

kode54 wrote:This may be relevant to your sound skipping issues.
Just checked using that latency program while running Nestopia. There were NO lag spikes while the music started skipping and popping. In fact, the bars never even reached the first green line marker. This confirms my feeling that it's not my system at fault.

At any rate, I've been using VirtuaNes now since the sound is stable and I can disable hardware memory on the video to get rid of bilinear filtering. This gives me the sharp picture I want with stable sound. At one point I had tried just about every NES emulator out there, but I will check back on fakenes and Nintendulator again.
NES NTSC palette file:

Gary_Oak
Rookie

Post by Gary_Oak »

It appears that the emulator received an unofficial update:

http://www.emuwiki.com/index.php?title= ... 010/04/04)

And if the notepad file (release note) is to be believed, then I guess Nestopia is pretty much dead. A real shame considering this has to be one of the goddamn best NES emulators ever made.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

And if the notepad file (release note) is to be believed, then I guess Nestopia is pretty much dead. A real shame considering this has to be one of the goddamn best NES emulators ever made.
Or maybe the author is busy with other stuff?

I dunno why people are so quick to count an emulator "dead" these days.
Gary_Oak
Rookie

Post by Gary_Oak »

AamirM wrote:
I thought so too, hence the reason why I wish to take that "dead" assumption as nothing but pure speculation. I'll only truly believe it is "dead" when its creator says so.
gummybear

Re: Nestopia 1.40

Post by gummybear »

Hi, everyone!

Edit 2: Alright, guys, I think me and c0d3h4x0r have finally gotten to the bottom of this. It turned out to be driver issue. The newest Creative drivers for my soundcard and the newest SoundMAX drivers for my onboard chip both exhibited this issue. As soon as I uninstalled either one I had installed for testing and used the standard Windows HDAD drivers, this issue disappeared completely on two of my desktop machines here.
Yes, it appears only Realtek and Microsoft have gotten it right so far--Of course, I'd also like to hear that from CMedia, IDT, and Sigmatel chip users. Funny thing is, I immediately also noticed more FPS (beyond the usual margin of error) in both recent games and demanding emulators such as Dolphin and PCSX2. So the solution for now is to use Windows' standard HDAD drivers and go bug SoundMAX and especially Creative to fix their buggy mess. It's sad to not be able to use your manufacturer's drivers, but hey, if there are alternatives available...

By the way, FireBrandX managed to fix his problems via upping the 2D clocks of his ATI 5770 HD card's CCC profile. He was actually suffering from a known problem which can also cause stuttering issues watching 1080p movies via DXVA.
Panzer88
Inmate

Re:

Post by Panzer88 »

AamirM wrote:

I dunno why people are so quick to count an emulator "dead" these days.
he very well may be, and as always said, it isn't truly dead until the author claims it is, but c'mon, it's been awhile since a release or any news, I'd say it's not a crazy assumption to think that it is dead.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Do you check there forums? If not then you shouldn't be presuming it is dead.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Fact: If something hasn't been updated in over 48 hours, it's dead.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

this thread is already dead

*pops knuckles*
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

YATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are already dead.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Fact: If something hasn't been updated in over 48 hours, it's dead.
What does that make ZSNES?
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

ShadowFX wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Fact: If something hasn't been updated in over 48 hours, it's dead.
What does that make ZSNES?
A fetid zombie bloated with gasses from decomposition.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Actually after all that time the bubbles have likely burst.
Said gas comes from tissue degradation, and since there's a finite amount of it...

Which is why corpses in a waterbody first sink (not enough air in lungs to float), then float up when decomposition makes enough methane and co, then drop back down once the few patches of rotten flesh holding the gas pockets get eaten by feeeshes.
The first step can take a while, especially if the corpse is stuck in a weird position.

Or has concrete shoes. In which case there has already been reports of fishes causing the rotten legs to let go and the body to bubble its way up for a cadbury surprise after some months.

(hint: not a good way to hide a body. never a good way. get an axe.)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gary_Oak
Rookie

Post by Gary_Oak »

Necrobump. Is there a way to remove this black bar?:

Not sure if this also happens in real hardware (I've never played Battletoads on a actual NES), but the same thing seems to occur in games like Kirby's Adventure, Battletoads and Double Dragon and Wai Wai World 2. Is this really an original hardware thing, or can it be removed by tinkering with some of Nestopia's video options?
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

If I were to guess, it is something that the developers did on purpose, sort of like how StarFox is in a small window. Live with it.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome