Fullscreen on startup

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

There are quite a few games that allow you to turn off the music but leave sound effects enabled, effectively letting you substitute your own music. Not that this has anything to do with the volume bar...
GeertJan

Post by GeertJan »

So, back to the topic of starting full screen... :)

For anyone who is interested in this feature: it is quite easy to implement into the source code yourself, for personal use. Here's what you do:

- Open the file "src/ui/main.cpp"
- Remove line 152:

Code: Select all

if(argc >= 2) event::load_image(argv[1]);
- Replace it with the following lines:

if(argc >= 2) {
      event::load_image(argv[1]);
      event::toggle_menubar();
      event::toggle_statusbar();
      event::toggle_fullscreen();
    }
- Compile bsnes.

This way, bsnes will normally start windowed, but when you load a game from the command line, it will start full screen without the status bar and menu bar. Perfect for when you're running bsnes from a game/emulator frontend/mediacenter.

(BTW, thanks byuu, for implementing "when video exceeds screen size and is scaled down, aspect ratio is now maintained" :))
hiero
Rookie

Post by hiero »

GeertJan wrote:So, back to the topic of starting full screen... :)

For anyone who is interested in this feature: it is quite easy to implement into the source code yourself, for personal use. Here's what you do:

- Open the file "src/ui/main.cpp"
- Remove line 152:

if(argc >= 2) event::load_image(argv[1]);
- Replace it with the following lines:

if(argc >= 2) {
      event::load_image(argv[1]);
      event::toggle_menubar();
      event::toggle_statusbar();
      event::toggle_fullscreen();
    }
- Compile bsnes.

This way, bsnes will normally start windowed, but when you load a game from the command line, it will start full screen without the status bar and menu bar. Perfect for when you're running bsnes from a game/emulator frontend/mediacenter.

(BTW, thanks byuu, for implementing "when video exceeds screen size and is scaled down, aspect ratio is now maintained" :))
Could anyone compile a version like that and host it somewhere?

not really had much luck getting a compile working here.

Thanks.
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

What are you compiling it on? Compiling bsnes isn't that difficult.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Alright, I'll add a checkbox for "Start in Fullscreen Mode".
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

sweet!
hiero
Rookie

Post by hiero »

byuu wrote:Alright, I'll add a checkbox for "Start in Fullscreen Mode".
Thankyou thankyou.

us frontend people salute you :D
hiero
Rookie

Post by hiero »

Verdauga Greeneyes wrote:What are you compiling it on? Compiling bsnes isn't that difficult.
vs2008 is all i got, and couldn't seem to get it to 'go'
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

Yes, MSVC has some issues with the current version of bsnes. Since byuu switched to GCC then to Linux entirely, it's difficult for him to fix. Try the bundled installer from here and install the DirectX SDK, then copy/paste all the files from its include directory to MinGW's include directory. Oh, and copy/rename mingw32-make.exe from MinGW's bin directory to make.exe
byuu

Post by byuu »

You'd also want MinGW with GCC4, as it's quite a bit faster.

Anyway, look at the wip5 thread I just posted. Has a link with the fullscreen option in there. I'll put a checkbox for it in the main GUI (probably) in the final release. But for now, it should get you what you wanted.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

I was going to put up MinGW with GCC that I put together that works. But the zip is over 180mb. I try make it smaller and it turn out 161mb. Too big to host. :roll:

Unzip is about 552mb.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Well I tried the new fullscreen at start up feature and it unfortunately doesn't jive with powerstrip's custom resolution change feature. When I start bsnes, the resolution is changed by powerstrip, but something gets funky and bsnes displays in a small square in the middle of the desktop. I have to click on it and then hit escape to re-activate fullscreen. Must be something to do with how bsnes goes into fullscreen mode in relation to how powerstrip changes the resolution. In the past with other programs, they will jump to fullscreen before the resolution change no problem. I'm getting the sense that bsnes is doing it after the change.
byuu

Post by byuu »

It's up to whatever is launching bsnes that chooses what happens first.

If Powerstrip is also launching bsnes, then it needs to switch first and/or wait longer. Not much I can do about that ... maybe write some sort of scripting app to swap resolution and then start bsnes?
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Its no big deal really. I figured it was worth a shot, but its nothing to get in a twist over. What I did instead was install an small app that saves and restores my desktop icons so I can switch resolutions and not have to worry about my icons getting scattered.
hiero
Rookie

Post by hiero »

great

i think i'll just wait for the next binary
hiero
Rookie

Post by hiero »

works great in the new version, however there is an annoyance...

there doesn't appear to be (from what i can tell) a way of the menus being hidden unless after a game boots into full screen you press 'esc' to hide the menus.

Sorry to sound like a moaner after you implemented it as a request of mine but would it be at all possible to have it either set to not show the menus at startup w/ fullscreen or an option.

thanks again
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Just bumping this back up in that the latest official release (v.040) now works correctly with powerstrip's application profile feature. I'm now able to launch bsnes into fullscreen and powerstrip is able to set the resolution to 1440x1050 without any problems.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip