Final Fantasy 4 text box glitch. please help!

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ph34rl355

Final Fantasy 4 text box glitch. please help!

Post by ph34rl355 »

I keep having a text box glitch in every ff4 rom i have including ff2 us.
the glitch leaves a line of space where you can see the background through the textbox. if you can help me please do as its one of my favorite games.
btw it is a zsnes exclusive glitch cause i tried the same games on snes9x and they worked fine minus the horrible sound emulation.
Last edited by ph34rl355 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's okay, I speak beaver.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Re: Final Fantasy 4 text box glitch

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

ph34rl355 wrote:I keep having a text box glitch in every ff4 rom i have including ff2 us.
the glitch leaves a line of space where you can see the background through the textbox. if you can help me please do as its one of my favorite games.
btw it is a zsnes exclusive glitch cause i tried the same games on snes9x and they worked fine minus the horrible sound emulation.
Try SnesGT, the sound emulation is very close to Bsnes in terms of accuracy (I think SnesGT uses Anomie's SPU but I could be mistaken; heck, if I spelled it wrong, sue me). Snes9x has a long way to go when it comes to sound.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Hi. Please read http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3821
and make a follow up post. We can better help you if we have all the information we can get.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
ph34rl355

Post by ph34rl355 »

i know i have good roms because i checked them with nsrt and they all checkout good.
ph34rl355

Post by ph34rl355 »

i think ill try snesgt thnx. i just wish i could fix it in zsnes cause thats the best one ive ever used as far as the rest of my games.
ph34rl355

Post by ph34rl355 »

a timing issue? for a transparent line in the textbox?
Last edited by ph34rl355 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

ph34rl355 wrote:i think ill try snesgt thnx. i just wish i could fix it in zsnes cause thats the best one ive ever used as far as the rest of my games.
Zsnes is very nice and stable, albeit it's SPU emulation isn't the best. Until Zsnes 2.0 comes out, SnesGT is better (in sound).
Last edited by neo_bahamut1985 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

If you have something to add, edit your old post instead of posting multiple time in a row. The Edit button is there for a reason.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Use the Search feature. It's a timing issue.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
ph34rl355

Post by ph34rl355 »

what do i search for?
i have zsnes 1.51.
my screen is set at 1280*720 6ohrz refresh
highres off
supereagle filter on
no scanlines
anyone know how to fix the problem?
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i like how the first response was to try a different emulator

these are the zsnes boards, and it was posted in the bug reports section. one would think that the problem with zsnes would get worked out first (if possible), without simply saying "stop using our program"

i also think that that's a point that's been brought up before, as well
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
byuu

Post by byuu »

one would think that the problem with zsnes would get worked out first (if possible), without simply saying "stop using our program"
The biggest problem is that they're actively performing a massive rewrite, so patches and fixes for reported issues aren't going to happen until after that's done. It's going to take a while. A long while. Just need to be patient, it'll be worth the wait, I'm sure.
ph34rl355

Post by ph34rl355 »

id like to keep using zsnes. so anyone know how to fix the problem? btw i found it only glitches in 1.51. i tried 1.50 and it works just fine.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

byuu wrote:
one would think that the problem with zsnes would get worked out first (if possible), without simply saying "stop using our program"
The biggest problem is that they're actively performing a massive rewrite, so patches and fixes for reported issues aren't going to happen until after that's done. It's going to take a while. A long while. Just need to be patient, it'll be worth the wait, I'm sure.
that i understand. but to just jump straight to "use XXXXX instead," without the smallest effort in seeing if it was fixable first?

i know it ended up being a "wait for 2.0" issue, but it still just seems, ...'off'

and for the OP, i'd recommend sticking with 1.50 (since it seems to be working) for this game until 2.0 comes out down the line. zsnes will be some magnitudes of order improved when that happens.
ph34rl355

Post by ph34rl355 »

Deathlike2 wrote:Use the Search feature. It's a timing issue.
im confused. clarification? i searched everywhere and nothing helped.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... ht=ff2+bug

FF2 (SNES) is a directly related to FF4/FF4 Easytype. They are all interrelated in the grand scheme of things.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
ph34rl355

Post by ph34rl355 »

that doesn't really help. :D
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I'll explain:

FF2 US and FF4 japan are basically the same game. When it was translated for the US, it was given the name FF2, along with a whole bunch of edits(Which can be found via google. Just don't believe the sites/FAQs you find that say that FF2 is an edited version of FF4 Easytype, a japanese only edition of FF4 that was basically an easier version of it. Easytype came out after FF2, not before).

The reason for the name change is because the real FF2 and 3 didn't come out over here in their original form/forms. Same reason FF3 is known as FF3 and not FF6: the real FF2, 3 and 5 never came out over here in their original form/forms.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Regardless whether you comprehend any of what I said...

1) It's a timing issue. It's already known.

2) Wait until the next version and hopefully it will be fixed.

3) If you must have this bug not affect you, use ZSNES 1.50 or prior.

Seriously, do not make me repeat what I said again.
bugger
Rookie

Post by bugger »

As a temporary workaround on 1.51, changing the "per2exec=100" value in the "zsnesw.cfg" file (it's about halfway down the file) to a value like 85 or 110 seems to fix it on my machine.

I have not played with this extensively, nor am I knowledgeable in zsnes' inner workings or what this setting technically does. So, I don't know if this is something the zsnes developers would recommend doing, and it may or may not work for you, or cause issues in other parts of the game or other games.

Try it out, but remember where this setting is so you can set it back to 100 for other games.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Or use Snes9x 1.52 fix 4....
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Bugger and his awesome thread revival potions ._. I find it a little funny that the thread started early blaming the SPU.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

nintendo_nerd wrote:Or use Snes9x 1.52 fix 4....
you should read the thread. for the irony
Poledo

Re:

Post by Poledo »

Deathlike2 wrote:Regardless whether you comprehend any of what I said...

1) It's a timing issue. It's already known.

2) Wait until the next version and hopefully it will be fixed.

3) If you must have this bug not affect you, use ZSNES 1.50 or prior.

Seriously, do not make me repeat what I said again.
Yay you're a developer, and a dick, and completely unhelpful.

This guy though - totally useful and this worked. Try not being a douche.
bugger wrote:As a temporary workaround on 1.51, changing the "per2exec=100" value in the "zsnesw.cfg" file (it's about halfway down the file) to a value like 85 or 110 seems to fix it on my machine.

I have not played with this extensively, nor am I knowledgeable in zsnes' inner workings or what this setting technically does. So, I don't know if this is something the zsnes developers would recommend doing, and it may or may not work for you, or cause issues in other parts of the game or other games.

Try it out, but remember where this setting is so you can set it back to 100 for other games.
/necro
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Final Fantasy 4 text box glitch. please help!

Post by odditude »

while i don't disagree with the sentiment, complaining about a response from someone who hasn't been around for 6 years doesn't contribute. i don't recommend making a habit of it.

that being said, welcome aboard.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.