May I toss my videogames out?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Sidrack

May I toss my videogames out?

Post by Sidrack »

I know this is somehow a tough question to make, but I have been thinking on getting rid of my old videogames (I don't mean taking them on the trash or selling), but keeping them on my locker and only using a computer to play games.

I don't like the idea of purchasing many different systems because there is not much space here to accomodate them and I don't like to deal with CDs/DVDs/cartridges all the time because if they broke, I will loose a lot of money. I think that CDs/DVDs should be on the backup area, not being used all the time.

I used to have a PSX but in a few years it was not reading CDs anymore (my SNES is still working today), and watching many games not being sold anymore (out of print) or having too much trouble to play games is not appealing to me.

In terms of fidelity, I used to think that one emulator was a mere shadow of the original itself, but looking some advances that were made in the last years I changed my mind, but I am not one advanced user and I don't know all emulators out there (from all systems, specially 32-64 bit), so I need to ask you this: emulators can replace most videogames these days?

I mean, if someone wants to get rid of Super NES, the emulator(s) can fit their expectations or there are still much things to correct and improve?

Years ago I purchased one GameCube and didn't even played too much before knowing that was abandoned for good. I feel like an idiot. Why there are not development kits for old systems being used?

A computer and emulators can replace everything?
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Here are my recommendations for emulators you can use

Nes - Nestopia

Snes - Bsnes -- if you're computer isn't powerful enough for bsnes, use snes9x or zsnes (I would recommend zsnes over snes9x)

Sega Master System - SMSPlus

Genesis - Regen, Gens

Gameboy - Gamebatte

Gameboy Advance - VBA, VBA-M

N64 - Project64

PSX - ePSXe, pSX

Sega Saturn - SSF

PS2 - PCSX2

TG16 - Magic Engine, Ootake
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Franky wrote: Snes - Bsnes -- if you're computer isn't powerful enough for bsnes, use snes9x or zsnes (I would recommend zsnes over snes9x)
Snes9x is as good as dead. If you prefer accuracy, go with SnesGT (not as CPU-intensive as Bsnes, but Bsnes has almost no emulation hacks).
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Franky wrote:Genesis - Regen, Gens
Uhhhh. Kega Fusion & Regen here.
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

King Of Chaos wrote:
Franky wrote:Genesis - Regen, Gens
I agree. Gens ain't the best, but at least Sega CD games have save/load state support.
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

Maurilio-SE wrote:....so I need to ask you this: emulators can replace most videogames these days?
Most of the newer consoles are not well emulated yet.... Nintendo DS emulation, for example.... SUCKS.

I heard someone say that Gamecube emulation is doing well, but i haven't looked into that one.
Hardware means nothing if you don't have good software.
Compare the success of SNES over Genisis
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:
Franky wrote: Snes - Bsnes -- if you're computer isn't powerful enough for bsnes, use snes9x or zsnes (I would recommend zsnes over snes9x)
Snes9x is as good as dead. If you prefer accuracy, go with SnesGT (not as CPU-intensive as Bsnes, but Bsnes has almost no emulation hacks).
? SNES9x development is still going strong, it is not dead.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

I would hate to think that Snes9X is dead.... I find the GUI way more user friendly sorry guys.... just MHO
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

declan wrote:
Maurilio-SE wrote:....so I need to ask you this: emulators can replace most videogames these days?
Most of the newer consoles are not well emulated yet.... Nintendo DS emulation, for example.... SUCKS.

I heard someone say that Gamecube emulation is doing well, but i haven't looked into that one.
no$GBA would like to have a word with you.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

I didn't recommend SnesGT because I don't like SnesGT.
If you want to recommend it yourself, go ahead.
I don't like Kega Fusion, so I didn't recommend it.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

I.S.T. wrote:
declan wrote:

no$GBA would like to have a word with you.
No$GBA is the best DS emulator out there. Why? Well, most games run at or near full speed, something iDeaS or the other emus out that can't speak of. Games run up to 60 fps whereas others are not even half that speed. No$GBA auto-detects the games' save type. Games like FF3 DS are fully playable, albeit there are graphical/speed issues now and then.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

you can't resize the window in NO$GBA! can you in the other emulators?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Use NDS2xGL2 and the window size is much better.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Is it just as stable? (/me tries it anyways).

is 2.5b the newest? and where to get it? http://forums.ngemu.com/no-gba-discussi ... rsion.html requires registration.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
tetsuo55
Regular

Re: May I toss my videogames out?

Post by tetsuo55 »

Maurilio-SE wrote:I know this is somehow a tough question to make, but I have been thinking on getting rid of my old videogames (I don't mean taking them on the trash or selling), but keeping them on my locker and only using a computer to play games.

I don't like the idea of purchasing many different systems because there is not much space here to accomodate them and I don't like to deal with CDs/DVDs/cartridges all the time because if they broke, I will loose a lot of money. I think that CDs/DVDs should be on the backup area, not being used all the time.

I used to have a PSX but in a few years it was not reading CDs anymore (my SNES is still working today), and watching many games not being sold anymore (out of print) or having too much trouble to play games is not appealing to me.

In terms of fidelity, I used to think that one emulator was a mere shadow of the original itself, but looking some advances that were made in the last years I changed my mind, but I am not one advanced user and I don't know all emulators out there (from all systems, specially 32-64 bit), so I need to ask you this: emulators can replace most videogames these days?

I mean, if someone wants to get rid of Super NES, the emulator(s) can fit their expectations or there are still much things to correct and improve?

Years ago I purchased one GameCube and didn't even played too much before knowing that was abandoned for good. I feel like an idiot. Why there are not development kits for old systems being used?

A computer and emulators can replace everything?
You can definately do this nowadays, i took this step some time ago.
I have put all my original consoles and games in a display and emulate everything, i did take the extra step by getting good controllers and a lightgun
Sidrack

Post by Sidrack »

tetsuo55 wrote:You can definately do this nowadays, i took this step some time ago.
I have put all my original consoles and games in a display and emulate everything, i did take the extra step by getting good controllers and a lightgun
Can you use the PSX joystick along with all emulators? And also using one PSX USB adapter? I will look what you suggested.

I hope someday all systems are emulated because I don't think it's a good idea to have any videogame these days. I was talking about GameCube and mine was not used and yesterday when I checked was not working anymore. I will need to take it to fix this week. My PC never let me down before.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Maurilio-SE wrote:Can you use the PSX joystick along with all emulators? And also using one PSX USB adapter?
Yes, yes you can.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Maurilio-SE wrote:
tetsuo55 wrote:You can definately do this nowadays, i took this step some time ago.
Can you use the PSX joystick along with all emulators? And also using one PSX USB adapter? I will look what you suggested.

I hope someday all systems are emulated because I don't think it's a good idea to have any videogame these days. I was talking about GameCube and mine was not used and yesterday when I checked was not working anymore. I will need to take it to fix this week. My PC never let me down before.
Man, my gamecube got fried yesterday too. It sucks. :(
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

how are your gamecubes dying?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Honestly, I'm not worried about my older stuff, but my PS1's already bit the dust, and it was manufactured in 1999.
My XBox was a 2005 model, and it's got a bad drive mech.

My SegaCD toploader? Still runs like the day it was made.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

franpa wrote:how are your gamecubes dying?
Lightning storm killed mine.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

No emulator is as good as the original console for any that I own, though some are pretty close. I will continue to keep my consoles until they quit working. Then I may try and hunt down replacements for a few after that! It is a little difficult to keep several consoles hooked up though, I admit.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Nightcrawler wrote:No emulator is as good as the original console for any that I own, though some are pretty close. I will continue to keep my consoles until they quit working. Then I may try and hunt down replacements for a few after that! It is a little difficult to keep several consoles hooked up though, I admit.
No kidding.

The rat's nest behind my game rig frightens me.
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

I keep my consoles in my closet and only pull 'em out to use 'em.

My prize console is a brand new Platinum GameCube that has never even been powered on.... who knows, in 10 years time it could be worth a shiny penny.... I saw a brand new snes (on ebay) go for $600 a few months ago.